Miyamoto trying to prep the rest of Nintendo for his retirement

Wednesday, 6th March 2013 17:49 GMT By Phil Owen

Shigeru Miyamoto, at 60 years old, is acknowledging that he won’t be working at Nintendo forever, and he is taking steps to get the company ready for life without him.

“This year I’m past 60; I’m going to be turning 61 this year. So for me to not be thinking about retirement would be strange,” Miyamoto said to GameSpot. “But in fact, the number of projects I’m involved in–and the volume of my work–hasn’t changed at all.”

But that doesn’t mean he’s not trying to force those under him to figure out how to do work without him around.

“Instead, what we’re doing internally is, on the assumption that there may someday be a time when I’m no longer there, and in order for the company to prepare for that, what I’m doing is pretending like I’m not working on half the projects that I would normally be working on to try to get the younger staff to be more involved.

“And this actually has nothing to do with any kind of retirement planning or anything of that sort, it’s really more of simply the fact that people have a tendency, certainly when you’re in an organizational structure, they have a tendency to always look to the person that gives them direction,” Miyamoto said. “And really, for a long time I’ve been thinking that we need to try to break that structure down so that the individual producers that I’m working with are really taking responsibility for the projects that they’re working on.”

That makes it sound like Nintendo leans on Miyamoto tremendously for guidance, which probably doesn’t surprise anyone. Still, how do you guys think Nintendo will do once he’s gone?

1. ps3fanboy

rip nintendo…

2. The_Red

I’ve never been a Nintendo fan but this man’s contributions to gaming are more than legendary. I know it might sound stupid or crazy but I would have loved to see a non-Nintendo game from Miyamoto. Like a co-production with Mikami or Inafune.

3. OrbitMonkey

Time for Reggie Fils-aime to step up!

4. Dragon246

Original Super Mario Bros. is still one the best platformers of all time. Salute to him.

5. Imperius

He should start by lighting a match. Then tell Nintendo was a fluke and go third party like SEGA.

6. dcarnage

Yeah, what #1 said…

7. mistermogul

@5 – wtf?!

They are one hell of a flukey company to survive 120+ years!

Or is that not what you meant? I can’t tell from your poor English.

8. Francis O

# 5

You need to learn the definition of what a fluke is. Then you need to STFU. Nintendo and Miyamoto saved the gaming industry from disaster in 80′s. Without him, we wouldn’t have all we got now. So have some fucking respect you idiot.