Metal Gear Rising’s story DLC are prequels, says writer

Wednesday, 6th March 2013 11:46 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will receive two pieces of story DLC that let you play as bosses JetStream Sam and Blade Wolf. They’ll serve as small prequels that explore the back-story and motivation of both characters.

We first reported on the boss DLC here, and posted a pair of debut images showing Sam in action.

Speaking with Polygon, chief story writer Etsu Tamari shed some light on the nature of both DLC packs.

Said Tamari, “We don’t directly explain why Sam works with Desperado in the main story. So that content goes a little bit more into detail on it. The Blade Wolf sub-story depicts a mission it’s running with Mistral before the encounter with Raiden. Both of them serve as prequels to their roles in the main game.”

Tamari also discussed his motivation for having Blade Wolf side with Raiden later on in the story, “I told people that a cyborg needs a canine partner, and I stood really firm on that. I had trouble figuring out what sort of position it would take in the game, and eventually I came up with the idea that Raiden would take over the ‘teacher’ role for Blade Wolf, the way that Snake was his mentor in MGS2.”

There you have it, are you interested in the idea of tangible story DLC that fleshes out the game, rather than simple re-skins? Let us know below.

1. OmegaSlayer

Casshern docet.
    Too bad Blade Wolf wasn’t integrated better into actual gameplay.

2. Dave Cook

@1 I’m glad I’m not the only one who felt the game has some similarities to Casshern :)

3. Mike W

Casshern was horrible anime, at least the remake was.

4. Clupula

A LITTLE bit drunk right now (it’s my birthday!)

but I am totally looking forward to these. Loved Metal Gear Rising!

5. Dave Cook

@4 Happy birthday!

6. theevilaires

@4 Awesome lets get drunk on my birthday and impair my senses so I can accidentally do something to cause my death and next year I can celebrate my deathday with my birthday YAY!

I’ll never understand why people drink poison on purpose.
    Hope you wise up this year and stop drinking alcohol altogether….Happy birthday

7. Dragon246

One more here in non-alcohol brigade :)

@Clupula,
    Happy birthday mate!

8. Hellhound30x

My only gripe about MGR is it was waaaaaay to short… other than that phenomenal game!

9. Lengendaryboss

Interesting i wonder why i have yet to make the purchase? i like the demo but something is holding me back.

10. YoungZer0

@10: Nanomachines, son.

11. Lengendaryboss

@11 Lol no, it has something to with planning what games deserve my money and there is currently six of them, its more to do with me being uncertain about replay value.