It’s official: Garry’s Mod has made a lot of money

Wednesday, 6th March 2013 12:41 GMT By Dave Cook

Garry’s Mod has made a lot of money, and we mean a lot of money. Take a guess at how much before venturing below the cut. We’ll wait.

Posting on his blog yesterday, creator Garry Newman said, “Over 7 years GMod has made about 22 million dollars. We get less than half of that though. Then the tax man gets a bunch of that. Then when we take money out of the company the tax man gets a bunch of that too.”

Tax man or not, that’s still a lot of money, considering it sells for £5.99 on Steam. It first launched there in 2004 and has given gamers tools to make pretty wonderful things.

Newman also confirmed that his two-man development team Facepunch is working on a new PC game, and added, “It’s a game I’ve wanted to start work on for ages. I’m trying to get a team together in office to build it this time… I don’t really want to talk about it until we’ve got something more solid though.”

Well done that man. Do you use Garry’s Mod, what do you make of his success? Let us know below.

Thanks PCGamesN.

1. richiefrank

Sigh

I’m out. That’s all I’m going to get from VG these days, unending nonsense passing as news stories.

#1 1 year ago
  2. OlderGamer

I think the bid for extra content for games pits the pub controled packaged DLC stihck against the user produced, modded content. Either way it is big bizz. Easy to understand why mega pubs don’t really want users modding their stuff. They see it as lost revenue.

#2 1 year ago
  3. DarkElfa

I knew Garry’s ass when he was making the damn thing. Hell of a nice guy and hell of a vision too.

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

You knew his ass, from what, the gloryhole? O:

#4 1 year ago
  5. xxJPRACERxx

@1 You’re out?!? Good, nobody cares!

#5 1 year ago
  6. Sini

“… and has given gamers tools to make pretty wonderful things.”

Can you link to these wonderful things because no one knows what you mean. I vaguely remember take on banana song.

#6 1 year ago
  7. No_PUDding

I remember someone built a giant robot that you could control every limb on, making it walk, and wave etcetera.

Really cool.

Not to mention the millions of machinima.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Eddie Rodrigues

@2 Well, Bethesda does love the user made content, they can feature it on their expansion packs and bring the fun to console gamers too or discover what gamers would really like to have in a game and develop new content for their next entry/ip. Modders help pubs a lot, they just can’t accept that due to their inflated egos.

#8 1 year ago