Wii U system stability update rolling out today

Tuesday, 5th March 2013 09:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U will receive a system update today which is designed to improve system stability, Nintendo has confirmed.

Polygon reports that the update adds “further improvements to overall system stability”, and clocks in at 30 MB, brining the system firmware up to version 2.1.3 U.

It’s the first of a few updates planned in coming months, with a larger update due in April. Nintendo has confirmed that this much larger update will add “new features and further improvements to the user experience.”

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. Erthazus

Stability Update. It’s like downloading Windows XP Service Pack 1 for Windows XP.

The future of console gaming right here.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Imperius

So many updates your Wii U wil have no space or games. Good job at failing Nintendo! I said time and time again all Nintendo needs to do is make hardware close to the other guys yet again we get a pimped out Gamecube -_-. You said you listend to the cries of the hardcore. Yet you must not have understood. I haven’t bought a Nintendo system since the N64. Why? Well that’s when Nintendo gave up on competing hardware, and when I turned my back on Nintendo. You now have a system that should have came out when the 360 and PS3 did, but no, you decide to release that system and the end of old gem cycle. With the PS4 and Next Box on the horizon, I’m surprised anyone at all bought your system. As of right now it has no games, and mist of the future games are remakes. No thanks ill pass. I hope you go down and have to become a third party like Sega. At least then I can enjoy your good games with good hardware backing them. Wind Waker lol worst remake ever.any didn’t like the cartoonish look in the first place no HD cartoons… Another fail about the Wii U. Play your games off screen via the pad you claimed. Then later we here only if the develper uses that feature -_-. Yet my better hand held the Vita will do that with the PS4 and some PS3 games, and that wasn’t even a selling point, just something they added from PSP and started then you tried to steal and failed on its execution. We have seen though your lies. The fact that Sony and Microsoft can add the gimmic of motion gaming to current systems tells us that you get screwed when you pick Nintendo.

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

I’m not sure Wii U runs on XP. They’re probably a Win ME or even 95. I mean, the damn thing can’t even play DVD films.

#3 1 year ago
  4. KrazyKraut

wtf…who of you got a Wii U? Get one and then talk. otherwise: stfu

#4 1 year ago
  5. Fin

Dreamcast ran Windows CE. Always thought that was funny.

#5 1 year ago
  6. xBASSxMONSTAx

Thank god for KrazyKraut.

So this update doesn’t fix much? The amount of times I have had countless updates on Xbox live and most of them didn’t do shit.

All I see the Wii-U/Nintendo hate fan club are out in force. I unlike the top posters have a Wii-U and for what it does Its bloody brilliant. (Miiverse). Sure it’s not a powerhouse like the other two future consoles claim to be but who honestly cares about high end graphics? If I did I would be a PC gamer right now, not a console gamer.

At the end of the day Nintendo are not about high end specs. Instead they are about innovation on how to play games and software, that’s all that matters to me and Nintendo have that in abundance.

This time next year the Wii-U will be fully up and running at full potential with their amazing 1st party games like 3D mario, pokemon, Zelda and many more. It will be a real contender in the next gen war.

#6 1 year ago
  7. The_Red

Geez… You guys can’t take a joke, can you? I don’t care about lack of DVD playback. Have tried Wii U though and it has locked up twice on New Super Mario Bros U. IMO, at least the OS is kinda slow and lacking.

Seriously? Wow. Love DC but just… wow.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Christopher Jack

@6, Not every one expects ultra PC graphics but they at least expect a leap over this gen. Most of the people who are complaining are those who are interested in multiplatform games above all & no informed person would buy a Wii U as a primary console if that’s all they’re interested in & many just don’t see it worth while for the exclusives either.

#8 1 year ago
  9. xBASSxMONSTAx

It has leaped over this gen, you just haven’t seen its full potential yet.

I didn’t buy Wii-U for multiplat games tbh as I knew developers would end up porting half assed shit from the 360 and PS3 versions anyway.

If a developer took the time and built a game from the ground up based on Wii-U’s capabilities we would see a huge improvememnt.

That Lego game for example. Looks amazing and it does because it was built from the ground up to be on the Wii-U

I like many others bought a Nintendo Wii-U mainly for Nintendo games as we knew it would get less support from devs just like the wii did.

For multiplat gaming i will end up buying a Xbox 720.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Christopher Jack

@9, Maybe you’re right, maybe not. Either way, regardless of who’s fault it is, at least you’re able to recognize the problem that haters are targeting.

This has been a major problem with the Wii too, devs can’t afford to alter the entire game to make the Wii/U version(s) look & play as functionally well as the other console versions, you’re either going to end up with a half baked, severely cut down game or a different, gimmicky one altogether with the same name.

#10 1 year ago
  11. dreamcastnews

@4 +1

@5 errrm no, the Dreamcast didn’t run on Windows CE …. It was ‘compatible’ with Windows CE meaning developers could port PC games with ease to the system, the Dreamcast doesn’t even run an operated system through the base unit, it’s all on the discs.

But of course, you knew that already, right?

#11 1 year ago
  12. Imperius

@XBASSXMONSTAX I have 2 Xbox 360′s a PS3, and my game rig. Only systems missing Wii and the Wii U. Why cause they don’t try. I get games for PC when they add PC features most don’t. Also consoles are better than PC’s in most cases due to the fact they are equal closed systems to dev for.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Imperius

PC games aren’t meant for enthusiasts 90% of the time. You have to realize they have to sell games not everyone has a 4 grand system. They make games for the PC’s you see in your best buy add you know why? Because that’s what most people have.

#13 1 year ago
  14. ps3fanboy

This time next year, the Wii U will be struggling to fight for scraps of market share against similarly priced, but much more powerful, consoles that have about 10 times as much third party support…

That’s if it’s even around this time next year… So if you have bought a Wii U you should sell it now, so at least you get some of your money back.

#14 1 year ago
  15. theevilaires

just imagine if this thing launched in 2006. SONY and Microsoft would have never passed the 50,000 mark on PS3/360 probably.

#15 1 year ago
  16. ps3fanboy

but they didnt… nintendo is cheap ass and are now paying for it.

#16 1 year ago