Thief reboot out on PC, PS4, and “next-gen” in 2014

Tuesday, 5th March 2013 15:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Thief 4 has been revealed, and its a reboot titled “Thief”.

The game is also the next Game Informer cover for April and is described as follows according to magazine’s summary:

“Series hero Garrett returns to the Gothic, industrial metropolis known simply as the City to steal any and everything that will make him richer.

“Unfortunately, the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant known as the Baron. In order to survive his adventures, Garrett will have to pay attention to his environment and make use of the may possible paths through each of the game’s levels.”

“We’re handling a precious gemstone with Thief,” said Eidos Montreal GM Stephane D’Astous in the press release. “Fans remember the original games very fondly and we want to preserve that essence – which we have excellent experience of doing at Eidos-Montréal – whilst also introducing Thief to a brand new, next-generation, audience.

“Our goal is to deliver the fantasy of being Garrett, THE master thief, and we’re building this game around that core experience.”

The game is down for a 2014 release “on PC, PS4 and next-generation consoles,” and has been in development at Eidos Montreal for a while now, and the next-gen rumor has been around for just as long. A short video discussing the game’s development with Edios Montreal is below.

Hit up OXM for more, and NeoGAF has the screenshots pulled from VK.com, a Russian social network which acquired the shots from the GamesManiac website social group (thanks, ShaiKhulud).

1. ShowUsYourLunch

Yay! LOVED Human Revolution. Dishonored didnt quite scratch my itch for openworld stealth. Stoked for this :)

#1 1 year ago
  2. miles97

Finally

#2 1 year ago
  3. ShaiKhulud

Hi, i’m from Russia. VK.com is not a site – it’s social network. Shots was leaked in GamesManiac website social group.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Fin

Looks great.

Hope it’s not as punishing as the original games (ie more like Deus Ex/Dishonored in its stealth).

#4 1 year ago
  5. The_Red

Some of those look horrible for a next-gen game. The Dishonored look is not the problem though because if anything, Dishonored was seriously Thief-ish.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Stephany Nunneley

@3 K thanks. Also, all the Game Informer information is in there now, along with a short video.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Erthazus

Thief 4… I just hope it’s a real Thief game like the first two games were you need to know what you are doing.

Deus:Ex was okay, Dishonored was a piece of crap with teleportation, I hope they will do it right. It should be a thief game and not some shooter… with teleportation and stuff.
    Thief must be weak and he must be strong in the shadows. That’s what it is about. + I hope for some serious issues with armor, health… I hope there will be NO REGENERATION at All like in these stupid consoles. I hope for some decent gadgets that are strong as a thief gadgets, not some knife that can kill an army like in assassins Creed games.

I hope that bow will have a lot of stuff like in the past 2 games. I want hardcore stealth game where you need to think.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Sadismek

I’m just glad this will see the day light. They can tweak the graphics as much as they want to, or leave them as they are – if Eidos can come up with a worthy sequel to Deadly Shadows, I’m a happy man.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Samoan Spider

@7 Surprisingly, I actually agree with you ;). This could be really good, I just hope they don’t go all Invisible War on us with it. Please don’t make it ‘accessible’ which we all know is code for dumbed down.

#9 1 year ago
  10. KrazyKraut

Water Arrows <3 <3

#10 1 year ago
  11. Edo

Jeez…even the plot sounds a lot like Dishonored
    ” Unfortunately, the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant known as the Baron. In order to survive his adventures, Garrett will have to pay attention to his environment and make use of the may possible paths through each of the game’s levels.”

#11 1 year ago
  12. viralshag

@7, Can you name some of those awesome sounding “hardcore” stealth games that are on the PC? I would have thought such games would be all over the place on the platform, maybe I’m just not looking in the right places.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Erthazus

@12, When i’m talking about Hardcore stealth games i’m talking about Thief 1 and 2. That were designed for the PC platform in mind. They were fantastic and hard.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dave Cook

This looks fucking mint. I really like stealth games.

Seriously want to be playing this right now.

#14 1 year ago
  15. viralshag

@13, Well it’s good to see PC devs still give people those sort of games rather than the devs that give people the very good Dishonoured and DX:HRs that you get on all platforms including consoles… oh wait.

You’re kidding yourself if you think it won’t be like those games.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Erthazus

@viralshag,
    It does not matter what platform right now. I just want good stealth game. they have a chance because it is a reboot.

Water arrows should be there at least. I can feel that.

DE:HR was not bad at all. I liked it, just not as Deus Ex 1, but still it was a nice game. Montreal can improve with Thief reboot.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Gheritt White

I hate intentionally hard games that punish players and wilfully halt smooth progression through the campaign.

That’s what difficulty settings are for and I hope they’re implemented here – if you want to punish yourself, go right ahead and do it! Just don’t force everyone *else* to have a crap time just because *you’re* a flippin’ masochist.

#17 1 year ago
  18. hives

@11 – Dishonored rip-off? Lol :P

Baron was in original Thief. He ruled The City in original Thief. Also – it would be weird to have steampunk-medieval city without a plague xd

#18 1 year ago
  19. Erthazus

Thief were not games that are for masochists. It was a game about being a “thief” that is weak like every human being out there.
    You had a lot of advantages in the shadows, with gadgets, bow and stuff.

I hope to have the same feeling with decent adventure and challenge. It should not be like if you are not in the shadows you can kill your enemies pretty easy.

I also hate games that are intentionally hard that push difficulty for no reason at all, but it should be a Thief game.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Edo

@18 Not saying that it’s a Dishonored rip-off but they do have certain things in common,just look at that Brothel screenshot.

#20 1 year ago
  21. fearmonkey

I loved thief 1 and 2 but enjoyed thief 3 the most due to atmosphere, graphics and polish. Thief 1 and 2 were more difficult but they weren’t impossible. I admit that I didn’t care for the zombies and non-human enemies, it was more fun when i was going against regular humans.

Those screens remind me of a cross between Dishonored and the Thief:Deadly Shadows, they look good though a bit too bright. I liked the darker design of the original games.

A few of those screens made me think back to the game Heretic. I wish some dev would make a fantasy shooter again, something like Heretic and Hexen.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Arkorvo

I think people saying it looks like Dishonoured are coming from that angle because maybe their not familiar with the Thief franchise.

They look similar because Dishonoured is hugely inspired by Thief and Arkane have always been Thief fans, not to mention some of the developers also worked on the old Thief games.

@5 I don’t see anything remotely horrible in any of those screens?

#22 1 year ago
  23. TheBlackHole

@17 +100

#23 1 year ago
  24. Talkar

About time! This is gonna be good :P
    Also, i really like how the PS4 is not considered a next gen console ^^
    Anyways, i hope they make an awesome game. The bacon god knows we haven’t had many Stealth games in recent years. Only Absolution comes to mind, seeing as how Dishonored were way too focused on action and not punishing you for being detected.

#24 1 year ago
  25. ps4fanboy

I’ve never played any Thief games before, but the hype around this makes me wanna go get previous Thief games.

#25 1 year ago
  26. YoungZer0

Doesn’t look like it would include any Steam Punk elements.

#26 1 year ago
  27. TheWulf

For those looking for a good stealth experience, hit up ‘The Dark Project’ on Google. The real question here is: Will this be better than The Dark Project? That remains to be seen.

#27 1 year ago
  28. polygem

wohoo this is so cool!

#28 1 year ago
  29. Stardog

If it’s mostly a 1st-person game like those leaked screenshots, then serious respect to this company (even though I didn’t like the recent Deus Ex). If it is 3rd person, then I’m just hoping more inspiration is taken from Batman rather than the crappy series that is Assassin’s Creed.

The screens remind me of Dishonored a little, which is a good thing.

#29 1 year ago
  30. nollie4545

Damn, another thirty quid blown this year!

#30 1 year ago
  31. Edo

Some gameplay info :
    - Navigation beacon shows players where to go
    - Dev. team wants players to explore environments as they see fit
    - Multiple entrances and exists in each room
    - Multiple options available for stealth approach
    - “Focus” mechanic: has many uses, including being able to aid Garrett’s vision as he navigates through open levels
    - Focus lights up the screen and highlights pipes you can climb + candles you can put out to make the room darker
    - Can upgrade Focus
    - Doing so will give you a bigger radius of things to see
    - Fingerpints system: gives you hints on which drawers are best to look in
    - Every drawer is accessible
    - Can pickpocket
    - Use Focus while pickpocketing to slow time and swipe up to three times as many items from others
    - Can spend money to upgrade supplies and equipment at the end of each mission
    - Various artifacts are scattered throughout the game’s levels
    - Can use these to decorate Garrett’s hideout
    - Garrett is motivated by the thrill of stealing something that others can’t take
    - Focus will show a number of attack points on enemies
    - Can select a point (like the chest) to do a quick push that will buy him more time to dash off into the shadows
    - Can also string together a number of points to perform a more debilitating attack
    - Team is trying to find a balance between making combat enjoyable and allowing players to enter combat if they want
    - Major mechanics are in
    More details here http://gamingeverything.com/42090/thief-tons-of-details-from-game-informer/

#31 1 year ago
  32. nollie4545

Sounds good but beacons in a game where you are supposed to explore your way to the target are not good. Half the fun of thief was robbing stuff because you could. No-lethal attacks and running away or climbing etc will be good.

Hope they make the game dark like it should be.

#32 1 year ago