Origin having issues meeting SimCity release demand

Tuesday, 5th March 2013 14:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Origin is having issues getting digital copies of SimCity out to those who have ordered the latest from Maxis.

According to various tweets from the official Origin Twitter account and the service’s community manager, EA “continuing to distribute SimCity as quickly as possible,” and the “focus is on getting” everyone playing.

A tweet from five hours ago stated that the game would be delivered within “the next one and a half hours.”

However, it seems not everyone has their copy as of press time.

EA usually allows Origin users to pre-load its titles a day or so before release to help with the load, but for some reason, a pre-load option “didn’t come together for SimCity unfortunately.”

Thanks, Polygon.

1. DSB

Facepalm. This is the future.

… And knowing EA those servers will only stay up until they release another one.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Arkorvo

Error 37?

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

Maybe if they hadn’t ruined the game (for me) by enforcing the always online part via stupid online regions that have really small space for cities, things would have been different.

#3 1 year ago
  4. mojo

nvm

#4 1 year ago
  5. heroes159

Ok ok. Lets not start Boycotting Origin again. People are working hard to fix them. Few technical problems can happen with a AAA title like this. Releasing a game is not easy

#5 1 year ago
  6. OwnedWhenStoned

@3 I was involved in the demo, and this was one of the things that really worried me. Also no terraforming at all.

EA appear to be experts at ruining perfectly good games.

#6 1 year ago
  7. naffgeek

I’m not really a EA hater but isn’t this kind of the whole point of their existence…releasing games.

Steam don’t seem to have this problem every time they release a triple AAA title.

I was all set to buy this until the online aspect was reported.

I just wanted to build a massive city, was that too much to ask.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DSB

@5 I said the same thing when Diablo 3 came out, but it took them a month to get it sorted.

That’s simply not good enough. It may not be easy to run a system like that, but why on earth should the customer care. Test it, make sure it works beforehand.

According to reviewers, the system hasn’t even been live until today.

Should people consider it easy to fork up 60 dollars for a game? You don’t think they should be able to expect that it would work?

If you buy anything that doesn’t work when you take it home, you have every right to complain.

#8 1 year ago
  9. The_Red

Yeah. Seriously, there is a LOT of space in each region but super limited city space and no terraforming are rather dumb. They may be due to performance issues but then again, a lot of us place SimCity just to create super big and crazy cities.

On top of that, there are huge “BUY me content” signs everywhere (Micro-transactions!). EA is indeed ruining perfectly good games. They destroyed Real Racing 3 and have killed both Dead Space and MOH so far. Let’s see how long SimCity survives.

#9 1 year ago
  10. naffgeek

Thank you for the info, I wondered about micro-transactions and now I definitely won’t buy.

Thanks EA at least my massive backlog of games won’t get one bigger I suppose.

Sucks though as I was really looking forward to this.

#10 1 year ago
  11. OwnedWhenStoned

Anyone who’s interested in this game should also read this:

#11 1 year ago