Destiny: Halo’s success creates great pressure to raise the bar, says Bungie

Tuesday, 5th March 2013 11:21 GMT By Dave Cook

Destiny developer Bungie is mindful of its success with the Halo franchise, placing pressure on the studio to raise the bar even higher. Bungie COO Pete Parsons has spilled all in a new interview.

Speaking with MCV, Parsons said, “We put a lot of pressure on ourselves to set the bar higher. We owe it to ourselves, and our fans to stretch our studio to its absolute limit.”

Rather than rest on its success with Bungie, Parsons stressed that its not in the studio’s blood to become complacent. “We constantly challenge ourselves to evolve with technology and entertainment, to do something better than we did before.

“That takes ambition, but it also takes passion, an incredibly talented and inspiring team, and tons of hard work With Destiny, we’re not only building a great action game, but to change the way our fans play Bungie games together.

“We’re building an awesome, hopeful world filled with epic action and adventure. If we do that successfully, we hope players will hold Destiny in the same regard they do all their other beloved entertainment franchises.”

What’s your take on Destiny’s ambitious scope so far? You can read my impressions piece on the game’s reveal here:

Destiny: Bungie’s ‘little-big’ reveal leaves a sour taste.

1. karma

They can keep patting themselves on the back, but as a gamer who once loved Bungie, imo they went downhill a lot with the latter Halo games. And just aren’t as great as they were back in the Halo:CE era. There are many devs who in my honest opinion have since surpassed them in originality, innovation and quality, like Irrational Games, Arkane, Bethesda Studios and Rocksteady.

As for Destiny, I don’t care in the slightest. Always online for single player just isn’t something i’m interested in.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Hellhound30x

Well not going to lie, but I’ve been looking forward to playing a real halo game… heh.. heh… heh!

#2 1 year ago
  3. fearmonkey

Bungie gets alot of glory thanks to Halo, but their games werent always great. Oni for instance was ok, and I loved the Myth series but they werent awesome single player games, better for multiplayer.

I have to say that the original halo was awesome, Halo 2 was awesome, but the others weren’t quite as great to me. Halo4 by 343 was the best Halo game I have played Since Halo2. I have to admit I am more excited about the next 343 game more than Destiny. I hope Destiny turns out amazing but I am wary of all the hype.

#3 1 year ago
  4. nollie4545

Agree, original Halo was the best. 2 was so-so, the rest was utter pants. Merely milking a cash cow with the franchise. Typical devs resting on their laurels. Single player campaign got progressively worse, fewer big staged battles and originality that made Halo CE good.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Hellhound30x

343 ruined Halo… its call of duty now… how you don’t see that, I don’t know.

#5 1 year ago
  6. fearmonkey

@5 – I wasn’t crazy about the COD multiplayer additions but the overall game was better than Halo 3, ODST, and Reach.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Gheritt White

Balls! Halo: CE was fantastic, sure. And yes, Halo 2, 3 and ODST were average at best, dull at worst. But c’mon! For me, I genuinely think that Reach was at least on a par with Halo: CE, if not better. Plus, Halo 4 is easily the best entry in the series to date, *including* CE.

IMHO.

#7 1 year ago
  8. deathm00n

Now let me ask something: I’ve never liked Halo due to the silly looking aliens side by side with the “serious business” humans and really weak story compared to other space setting games like Mass Effect (I know it’s not from the same time, but I think it’s a valid lore comparison). Do you think Destiny will be like Halo? Or is it shaping now as something completely different besides the space setting?

#8 1 year ago
  9. manamana

I still don’t get how they went “all in” with this project. Isn’t it doomed from the beginning? If they aim at a ten year marathon with Destiny, they must have a steady income on upgrades, microtransactions, DLCs and whatnot. But what if they fail, like SWTOR fail? I dunno but sometimes I feel, the bigger the projects, the more streamlined they become, the more I lose interest. I have high hopes that Bungie delivers, they are great no matter what others here are talking. They now how to do gameplay and certainly multiplayer.

But come on, ten years.
    I’m 51 then o_Ô

#9 1 year ago
  10. Gheritt White

@8: The story in Halo: Reach, Halo: CE (esp. the Anniversary edition) and Halo 4 are *far* from weak… they’re actually really good. You could totally skip 2, 3 and ODST and it;d still make sense. More sense, even.

If you’ve got an Xbox 360 and you’ve never played Halo, you really owe it to yourself to play at least Halo 4, if not Reach and Anniversary as well.

#10 1 year ago
  11. polygem

thing is, halo is one of the biggest and best videogame franchises. if you like the games or not – this is just a fact. this is well deserved as well. the gameplay of halo is just almost flawless. it´s just great gamedesign. regarding 343/bungie: i am on Hellhound30x´s side here. halo 4 is a good game, a very good game even, but at the same time it started to kill what made halo halo. it´ll be interesting to see where they will go to with the franchise. i for one definitley prefered bungies take on halo – by far. i think destiny will kinda redefine the shooter genre and it´s about time that this is happening. bungie are perfect for the job and i am very, very optimistic. so cool that this will be multiplat. playstation only players should be very excited indeed! bungie are among the best devs on the planet. halo is up there on top, in the hall of fame of games, with mario, god of war, zelda…

#11 1 year ago
  12. pwnftw

People forget that Halo set the standard for FPS on console. It was the first to master two stick control, rechargable health, two weapon max, etc. I get fed up with Halo 4 mp just about everyday, but its still a solid game. Not until I play other shitty games’ mp do I again understand how solid Halo is.

#12 1 year ago