Battlefield 3 DLC is forcing industry to “step up” its game, says DICE

Tuesday, 5th March 2013 11:37 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 3′s DLC slate has been rather content-heavy, delivering more than just basic map packs or character re-skins. DICE producer Craig Mcleod has stressed that the industry could take a leaf out of the studio’s book and “step up” it’s approach to DLC packs moving forward.

Speaking with OXM, Mcleod said that the team learned a lot from its time with Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

He explained, “I do feel that the DLC packs we release have expanded. I look back to Bad Company 2, and we released a number of map packs, and then right at the end of the Bad Company cycle we released Vietnam. This was a much bigger pack incorporating new weapons and environments – we actually built a whole new front-end right into it.”

Mcleod and DICE feel that content packs should offer more, and also give studios a great chance to test out new ideas, such as the Drop Ship from the final Battlefield 3 expansion End Game, “To reference End Game, we have the vehicle air drop – this is a fantastic feature that we haven’t had before, that we’ve brought into the gameplay. It’s a way of not only catering to our fans but also trying out new things from future development.”

It is Mcleod’s belief that DICE’s DLC slate has shown the rest of the world how to approach added value properly, giving the player more for their buck, “When I look at things like Battlelog, and when I look at the whole experience that we deliver in a DLC – people didn’t do this before, they literally did map packs, and now we can see some of our competitors introducing not just new maps but also new weapons, and new features on the side. And I feel we’re forcing the industry to step up and follow the example that we’re setting.”

What’s your take? Has the Battlefield 3 DLC season been enjoyable? Do you feel you got enough new content for your money? Let us know below.

1. Arkorvo

Yeah no one released expansion packs before the term DLC came.

Remember when developers actually made expansion packs that were actually real good value for money. Like 2/3 of the original game for like half the price.

#1 1 year ago
  2. ps4fanboy

Quite true. Other games’ dlc is just to loot money off of customers. I really like the dlc model of BF3 and Skyrim too. It wasn’t made during the game’s development and locked on disc. It was made after the game shipped and were very substantial.

#2 1 year ago
  3. MadFlavour

Battlefield 3 DLC is forcing industry to “step up” its game, says DICE

No it isn’t. Says this premium subscriber.

#3 1 year ago
  4. MadFingerz

Yeah, I think DICE did a good job with BF3′s DLC. Some folks would have been happy enough with an extra mode and map per pack but they put more content in them and managed to gain many premium subs. Not only that, but the “trying out new things from future development” is a very smart thing and pretty much what every dev should strive for with their DLC.

I would actually prefer if BF4 took a while longer to come out. I still want to play BF3 for a couple of years or so.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Ajsman

I would be the happiest man alive if Valve made a modern military shooter. Then when all the free content would start pouring out, from Valve and from the community, this arrogant SoB could just stand there and cry while his precious DLC milking cow dies in a slow and painfull death.

#5 1 year ago
  6. xXNapsterManXx

@5 You hold valve in too high regard i bet it would have mirco-transactions that cost an arm and a leg like TF2.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DSB

@6 Are EA randomly giving away content for free? News to me.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Ajsman

@6 The way Valve does microtransaction I wouldn’t mind them at all. You don’t win by buying hats and weapons. And I don’t even care about getting all the weapons since the default weapons are still the best.

But the most important thing here is that Valve does not split the community in million pieces because new game mods and new maps are free for everyone. So I am always able to play with my friends. While in BF3 that isn’t the case. Some of my friends either cant afford or refuse to pay another 50€ for the same game. And why would they when they can buy a whole new game for the cost of just one BF3 DLC.

The point is, DICE is “stepping up” sh*t. They have done nothing more than copied Activations CoD business model and embellished it a little. And all that after saying they would never go down that road. But while DICE employees think they are holding the god all mighty by the balls, they have not been able to develop the most important aspect of any MP FPS, a proper hit detection system. In 11 fu*king years of their existence. How about that for “stepping it up” DICE, a hitbox that works?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Hcw87

You can still play with your friends if they (or you) don’t have premium. Just find a vanilla server, there are plenty out there.

Also, new games cost the same as one BF3 DLC now (1200 MS points)? What planet do you live on? BF3 Premium doesn’t cost 50 euro either.

Stop whining for the sake of whining ffs.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Ajsman

@9 You are missing the point. BF is a somewhat team oriented game, so if I don’t have my squad or two with me there is really no point in playing. And if I want to play DM I will play CoD. Its certainly more fun than the TDM in BF ;)

Maybe not so called AAA games, but you can buy games that offer a hell of lot more than a BF3 DLC. And yes, Premium is 50€. Look it up on Origin if you don’t believe me.

#10 1 year ago
  11. OlderGamer

Ajsman

#11 1 year ago
  12. MadFingerz

@10 TDM in BF can be a lot of fun. Last COD I played was MW2 and I have more fun playing TDM just in Noshahr Canals than in the all MW2′s maps combined. I guess it’s just a matter of preference.

I personally don’t get why people are bitching about BF’s DLC, especially about it not being free. It’s like you forget that there are people working to generate that content, people that do that for a living.

btw, I did got premium last week at 30 (20€ discount). No idea how much it’s costing right now and I do admit that I wouldn’t have bought it at 50 but my budget for game purchases is limited now so…

#12 1 year ago
  13. nollie4545

Agree with that. DLC is sheer profit whoring in many ways, and as you say, splits the community between the have and have nots. I’ll decide if I want new content, but don’t force me to pay for it.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ajsman

@12 Look, the main problem I have with this statement is not the DLC itself or the price they are selling it for.

What bothers me the most is that they are basically claiming DLC they make is doing a great service to the gaming community and nobody else does that. And that is just a bunch of arrogant BS.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DSB

You know what was good though? Bad Company 2: Vietnam. It was kinda rough and unbalanced, but I still think it was better than the core game.

#15 1 year ago
  16. MadFingerz

@14 Ah I see. Well two things could explain his words:
    1- This is his way to sort of throw a bone to his staff, quite the equivalent of saying “hey, your work matters” or whatever. It’s basic human resources management; or (this one more believable)
    2- The team gets constant positive comments from some Premium die hard fans which is just what a producer needs to massage his ego and then pure pearls of wisdom such as these come out of their well puffed chests.

Eitherway, this kind of comments doesn’t bother me at all. Not like those from Crytek’s CEO that we have seen lately.

#16 1 year ago
  17. BrahManDude

love DICE i want to see BF4 already

#17 1 year ago
  18. ArithonUK

DICE is splitting the game’s player-base with every DLC they release.

They’ve damaged the franchise with dumbed-down game mechanics, stupid and ill-thought-out voice communications and an external game browser.

The entire “premium” DLC would in the past, been a single expansion pack for half the original game price.

Don’t pretend to have done loyal customers of the franchise any favours.

#18 1 year ago
  19. fondler

If this dude wants to step up everyone’s game then maybe he should lead by example and not make people pay for the same content twice. Packs like b2k should be free I’d you had the original game. In BF4 you should be able to play on BF3 maps if you want. He’s right that dice is writing closer to figuring out how much content should be in a dlc because series like cod don’t give you shit. I just hope that BF4 isn’t some underdeveloped game because the rushed through the process.

#19 1 year ago