Arma 3 Alpha test is live, “sneak preview” trailer released

Tuesday, 5th March 2013 16:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bohemia Interactive has released an Arma 3 trailer which provides a “sneak preview” at the shooter. The Alpha test has gone live today, and you can pick it up on from Steam and the Bohemia store.

1. Sadismek

Sigh… I need a new graphics card.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

Hokay, that looks a bit better than last time.

#2 1 year ago
  3. powerbuoy

I’ve only played about an hour of ArmA2 and a couple of hours of DayZ. I gave up because of the clunky controls and ugly animations.

ArmA3′s trailers and particularly screenshots have looked really good so I bought the Alpha today and fired it up.

With my setup I can only run it on medium so rendering wise it’s pretty much the same as 2. Animations are better and controls are a little more streamlined but it still feels a bit clunky.

I’m gonna try and get into this one though so I’m prepared for when the inevitable ArmA3 DayZ mod comes out (no, not the standalone built on the old engine).

#3 1 year ago
  4. SlayerGT

Bring it to my PS4 Bohemia! No excuses anymore :)

#4 1 year ago
  5. powerbuoy

@4 – I’d also like to see that, but with all the actions you can perform in the game it might be hard to map to a controller. If they nail it it’ll be awesome though.

I’ve played the alpha a bit more now and find the controls (mouse/keyboard) to be easier to get into than ArmA2 which is really nice. I’d love to see a video tutorial though if anyone has a YouTube link.

#5 1 year ago
  6. SlayerGT

@5 I think they’re creative enough to pull it off. I actually perfered the Xbox version of Flashpoint to the PC version. I was probly missing some off the wall shit like being able the sit Indian style but the game played great. Especially for the helicopters ;)

#6 1 year ago
  7. hives

Amazing. It runs smoothly on High on Geforce GTX 560Ti, which isn’t really total high-end. And 4 GB Ram. And i5 2500. And it is alpha… Seems like they – finally! – learned how to optimize :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. DSB

@7 Mind = Blown.

I just can’t justify joining a Bohemia alpha based on the state of the last games, but I have to admit, it looks and sounds lovely.

Hopefully they’ll take just as much care with the code itself. ArmA II still has broken commands.

#8 1 year ago
  9. manamana

It looks absolutely amazing. Despite the clunky animations, glitches, bugs and whatnot from DayZ. It’s one of the most immersive games out there, for my likings. The authenticity and tension when playing at night while it’s raining is unmatched. So yes, DayZ sequel on Arma3 engine please. It’s okay, if it’s buggy and takes forever …

#9 1 year ago
  10. nollie4545

Looks much improved, though engine and animations look much the same. Even the explosions aren’t far off the old ones.

I thought DayZ was going to be released as an actual game using its own engine?

#10 1 year ago
  11. manamana

^ yepp, it’s all here: http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/ and of course it’s not the Arma3 engine. I believe it’s a beefed up Arma2 engine from operation arrowhead. That’s where the sequel comes into play with Ama3. Hey, there is hope here.

Edit: okay, one more link: http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/DayZ_Standalone

And now I must go back to Cherno!

#11 1 year ago
  12. RocknRolla

Simply amazing looks way way better than the last time! bring this to the PS4 pretty please?? but still best works with the PC! I like how he sat down his soldier at the beginning, and imagine the Zombie mod for this later?? mohaha :)

#12 1 year ago