Star Trek: Paramount keen to avoid stigma of movie licenses

Monday, 4th March 2013 11:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Star Trek: The Video game launches in April, and license-holder Paramount has stressed that it won’t be another shoddy cash-in. The company has said it learned a great deal from previous licensed disasters.

Speaking with Eurogamer Paramount’s Brian Miller explained that the company was well aware of terrible movie games, and that it used this knowledge to avoid common pitfalls.

Said Miller, “Our goal was to make the most authentic Star Trek game we could. We’re not a licensed game – we’re funding this and making this ourselves. A traditional licensed game, you get a licensor and say they’ll give you some money to make the game. This is a game that we’re making in-house, and it’s been funded by Paramount Pictures from day one.”

The game has been farmed out to Darkess 2 studio Digital Extremes, and looks set to deliver a barrage of third-person cover shooting and co-op shenanigans.

“There’s a lot of stigma to movie-based games and there have been some that have done it well”, Miller continued. “But the majority haven’t lived up to expectations, and that was something that we’ve been cautious of since the day we started making this game.”

What do you think of Star Trek: The Video Game so far? Does it appear to skirt around licensed game problems, or are you uninspired? Let us know below.

1. NocturnalB

They’ve got a lot of stigma to beat out. Of allllllll the 3 movie games I’ve ever bothered with, only the Iron Man one was even semi entertaining.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Have you tried Captain America? It’s surprisingly not shit.

#2 1 year ago
  3. KrazyKraut

@2 thx for the tip. The last movie-game I liked was Toy Story 3 for PS3.

We already pre-ordered the Star Trek game + 1x Uhura’s skirt for my girlfriend + 1x enterprise staff shirt for me, because this time couch-co-op has to be realistic^^

#3 1 year ago
  4. Digital Bamboo

I’m cautiously optimistic. I really want this game to be good. I don’t care if it’s a blatant Uncharted/Mass Effect ripoff, as long as they nail the Star Trek vibe, I’ll be a happy camper.

#4 1 year ago
  5. YoungZer0

@2: From what I heard, you’re pretty much playing an inferior version of Arkham Asylum.

Anyway, I do hope this game is good, considering that they had much more time for it than most games.

#5 1 year ago
  6. ps3fanboy

after i had seen the screens posted at vg247 last week. this looked like a barbie kent version of star trek… so i am not optimistic about this game anymore. this smells like stinker all the way…..

#6 1 year ago