Crysis 3 was “very close” to launching on Wii U

Sunday, 3rd March 2013 23:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Crysis 3 isn’t coming to Wii U, but it jolly well could have, Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli has said.

“We did have Crysis 3 running on the Wii U. We were very close to launching it,” Yerli told VentureBeat.

“But there was a lack of business support between Nintendo and EA on that. Since we as a company couldn’t launch on the Wii U ourselves – we don’t have a publishing license – Crysis 3 on Wii U had to die.”

Yerli’s comments aren’t entirely new; he said in interviews last month that the lack of Wii U version was a business decision.

The developer has made plenty of noise over the past few years about exiting the triple-A space; it’s heavily backing free-to-play shooter Warface and its GFACE gaming network, and despite hiring many former Vigil employees, isn’t interested in following up on Darksiders.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Talkar

Too bad he won’t say if it is Nintendo’s or EA’s fault…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

It’s not EA’s or Nin fault. I’m sure Nintendo wants every game on it’s WiiU, but EA wants this game to sell and WiiU fanbase is not good right now.

Ofc. someone’s next comment should be: But to increase WiiU fanbase, publisher must support it.

and EA already did it at launch and nothing helped much.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Eddie Rodrigues

For a table console, it is selling bad. Ain’t no game gonna save it (except a possible Majora’s HD)

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lightmanone

@3 I bet people like you were saying the same thing about the Wii, and that it was gonna fail. We all know how that ended.

You see.. (sure, I am a fanboy BUT you have to admit) Nintendo only sells it consoles when a nintendo exclusive title is coming out. Zelda, Mario and Pokemon are the 3 things that simply sells Nintendo. Sure there are other exclusives.. And that is what makes Nintendo Nintendo. And that’s not gonna change soon either. Sony has Uncharted and Xbox has Forza and Fable.
    It’s the exclusives that sells the consoles, not the 3rd party games that comes out on multiple platforms.

I couldn’t care less about C3, but I am still sad that even though it can run on the WiiU, it won’t come out on the WiiU. I really think that’s a bad call.. But hey, I’m not calling the shots.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Talkar

I have to admit, i would buy a Wii U instantly if they released a good pokemon game for it…

#5 1 year ago
  6. The_Red

I guess this means EA’s Mass Effect on Wii U didn’t fare so well.

#6 1 year ago
  7. OlderGamer

If Nintendo could get digitaly purchased (3)DS games to play on both the WiiU(using the gamepad as the touch screen and the TV as the viewable only one) as well as on the gameboy, and then upscale the graphics to fit the TVs…they would move more systems.

But ultimatly It is too expensive and people don’t want expensive. Same problem with Vita. It will be intersting to see if the new MS/Sony systems have the same problem post launch.

Keep in mind the Wii sold 3million at launch. The WiiU sold 3.5 million during launch. Ofc the supply chain limited how much the Wii could sell. And the price has limited how much the WiiU sold. Esp post launch, where it has pretty much come to a dead stop. I honestly think the next two systems could have the exact same problem.

There needs to be a compeling reason to get the average person to upgrade. Esp with 300usd plus hardwhere. I bet both PS4 and XBX release for 400usd or more.

Could be the start of the death of dedicated consoles that we are seeing.

#7 1 year ago
  8. theevilaires

Seriously Nintendo can’t afford to pass up on these types of games.

#8 1 year ago
  9. OlderGamer

I am worried that most EA published games will be staying on Xbox platforms in the future…due to “a lack of business support between (anyone other then Mirosoft) and EA on that”. EA seem pretty chummy with MS. Hard to imagine the yearly sports franchices not still hiting everything from calculaters and wristwatches to each console, but. esp with unique IPs, I kind of wonder.

#9 1 year ago