Gearbox president loves the idea of “fewer, bigger bets” with games development

Saturday, 2nd March 2013 19:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford has said he’s not worried over the possibility of development budgets going up, due to the potential it allows.

Speaking with GI International at DICE, Pitchford stated that, on one hand, he loves “the idea of fewer, bigger bets,” due to the possibilities which would come with more resources.

“I don’t think about the future with fear,” he said. “I tend to think about it with excitement and anticipation and on one level, I love the idea of fewer, bigger bets because I’d love to see what’s possible when it makes sense to put more resources than we’ve ever put into something before.

“As a creator, the idea that our studio can build something with a budget that’s two or three times as large as past efforts – oh my god, can you imagine what we can do then? So it excites me.”

Pitchford pointed out that while the retail, console game business is down 20-25% year-over-year, per title sales are up – something he contributed to fewer games being on the market.

“Each game that did appear sold more than it did before; there are just fewer games,” he said. “Fewer, bigger bets really means something and there’s an actual affect on the market. Is that bad or good? I don’t know.

“I’d rather have fewer things that are awesome because I can’t play all this stuff anyway. You know what I mean? There’s just so much that I can’t keep up and I’m fucking hard core. I play games all the time. And I can’t keep up so I actually like the idea of fewer, bigger bets. I’m excited by that.

“Meanwhile, there’s so much vibrancy in the indie world and there are so many more tiny bets. There’s so much more diversity there. It’s really awesome.”

1. Ali

Dear Randy, after your infamous Alien CM , I think u should keep a low profile for a while.

I know he maybe said that b4 that game launched but oh well…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

@1 If the rumors are true, it is not completely his game and stole money from SEGA in the process. Although you are right i am shocked with the man opening his mouth after releasing that disaster Aliens CM.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ali

@2 Not really sure about the rumors man. SEGA doesn’t seem like a company who can afford gambling and sending money during all of those years, I think the game got put on hold only to be resumed later. SEGA wouldn’t have allowed it. Besides, I am sure 2K paid GearBox enough to do both Borderland games. If there was any of that, SEGA would have gone to the court by now.

I am not saying it is OK for Alien CM to suck, but I wouldn’t go that far and say he has stolen SEGA.

It will be really hard for GearBox to reclaim the good reputation they once had, but time will tell.

#3 1 year ago
  4. BD

Fewer things, eh?

If you’ve got another sucker like SEGA lined up to fund some of those things, I’m sure you’re gonna do just fine Randy.

Those skills as a magician/illusionist sure must come in handy when you’re at those milestone meetings.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

@3 Well i hope the rumors about stealing money is not true and with Borderlands Gearbox’s Reputation should get better as time progress, i hope.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DSB

Less creativity and more executive oversight. How is that good exactly?

I think it’s very possible that Gearbox have been spoiled from working with Take Two, they have no problem making it rain for projects that are behind schedule, but it seems to me like the game is very different elsewhere.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ManuOtaku

I think he is not afraid of the future, they have a secret tactic for getting extra additional incomes, if rumours are to be believed the code name of this tactic is “took advantadge of sega” ;)
    p.s of course the name of this secret tactic will change according the publisher ;)

#7 1 year ago
  8. Telepathic.Geometry

I can’t be listening to this guy’s bullshit any more…

#8 1 year ago
  9. manamana

“… with a budget that’s two or three times as large as past efforts – oh my god, can you imagine what we can do then?”

Yes, great looking demos – trainwrecked games!

Enough of your talk Randy, you aren’t trustworthy.

#9 1 year ago
  10. rusty_shackleford

After watching these giant corporations grow and grow and then pick a handful of franchises to pump out clones of, NO THANKS.

Smaller indie devs are the future of gaming. not COD, WOW, and farmville.

Money doesnt make good games, go look at the most expensive game ever made, SWTOR. Then go look at the sleeper indie hit of the decade: minecraft. guess how much that game originally ‘cost’ to make.

I want my refund for colonial marines(and duke nukem forever while you’re at it)

#10 1 year ago