Why iPad is worth buying as a games machine

Friday, 1st March 2013 13:53 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Is iPad just for light gamers and kids? Patrick Garratt reckons it’s for everyone, and if you haven’t already you should be seriously considering blasting off to planet iOS.

Apple sent me an iPad on loan. The whole iOS thing was getting kind of ridiculous. I didn’t own an iOS device (my phone’s Android) and the world of iGaming was passing me by. I bought an iPad Mini for my wife for Christmas and thought that would do for testing games. I’m sure it would, but I barely get to touch it. Fiona never puts it down.

I’ve been playing with it for a few weeks now, and there are a few clear take-homes. Firstly, if you’re passionate about games you should own an HD tablet. Secondly, if you have children, you should own an HD tablet. Thirdly, you should own an HD tablet.

My iPad gaming habit has already entered a second phase. At first I grabbed some well-reviewed games and off I went. I lost a few days to the gimmick before calming down and playing less. From my experience with the App Store so far, the games (the good ones, anyway) tend to be easy to get into and are the sort of thing you play for 20 minutes then put down and will probably boot again when you’re bored or travelling. There are exceptions, but generally iPad gaming it’s like an ADHD party on a beautiful piece of hardware interspersed with Twitter, Facebook and Reddit. I play games on it every day.

Here’s what I’ve installed so far. You can take a look at fuller collections here. I should note that I’ve spent more on iOS content in a few weeks than I have on Android in nearly two years. The system for buying anything from the App Store is flawless to the extent that I love hitting buttons with prices on them just so I can marvel at how slick it all is. Paying for games is a good thing, people.

• Fruit Ninja HD: Obviously. My kids love this. I’ve had it installed on my phone for almost two years, and the iOS version’s as great as you’d expect. The main difference was that I happily paid for it on iPad.
  • Heroes of Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes: This is expensive by App Store standards, but in my view indicates just how immersive touch-screen games can be if they’re properly constructed for the interface. Clash of Heroes is a Ubisoft RPG with a brilliant turn-based battle system. I’ve already dropped 35 hours on it, and I don’t regret a second. You know how people reckon Fire Emblem’s a good enough reason alone to get a 3DS? This is the iPad equivalent. I love it.
  • The Room: Ingenious puzzle game in which you open boxes. I don’t want to spoil this in any way, but I can wholeheartedly recommend it.
  • Cordy 2: This is a platformer and highlights probably the biggest problem with iOS games, from what I can see: touch-games that use emulated physical controls. It’s great and all, but it uses virtual buttons instead of swipes. As there’s no feedback from the screen it can be a frustrating. I’m glad I was allowed to try before deciding whether or not to buy, put it that way.
  • Hackycat: This is a really simple thing that costs pennies and will amuse your children forever. You kick the cats, collect the burgers, unlock stuff. You can play it with one finger. Stupid. Awesome.
  • Temple Run 2: You should own this. It’s free and it’s surprising how often I go back to it, despite its simplicity. You run forwards, dodging obstacles by swiping the screen or tilting the pad. Can be maddening, but it’s a lot of fun.
  • Infinity Blade: I picked this up for free on promo. Didn’t quite hook me in the way I thought it might, but I’m sure I’ll go back the next time I’m on a train. It’s good, no question, but maybe I’m missing something. Might get the second one.
  • Kairo: Kairo’s a 3D puzzle game in which you walk around surrealist landscapes solving spatial problems. I haven’t spent long enough with it to say whether or not it’s going to work out, but it’s had good reviews. I’m a bit stuck, to be honest.
  • Harbor Master: This is from Imangi, the same studio behind Temple Run. I have Flight Control on my phone, which is a similar deal. You have a map and boats sail onto it. You have to draw lines to guide the boats to various docks depending on the colour of their cargo. Once they’re unloaded you draw them off the screen. If two boats collide it’s over. Perfect mobile fodder, and, again, it costs peanuts.
  • Plants Vs Zombies HD: I’ve played this through on PC, but the iOS version was free on promo so I started again. Already re-addicted. PopCap’s classic’s perfect for touch. You should definitely get this, regardless of whether or not you have to pay.
  • Azkend 2 HD: I played this for the first time on a press trip to Finland a few years ago. It’s a find-the-matches puzzler, of which there are many, but what attracts me is the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea aesthetic. Azkend 2 has lovely presentation and gets bloody hard. Innocent, taxing fun.
  • RAD Soldiers: Splash Damage’s first shot at mobile gaming is, essentially, free-to-play XCOM: Enemy Unknown. You can play single-player challenges or online, with turn-based multiplayer acting similarly to Words With Friends. I’ve only skimmed the top of it thus far, but there’s plenty to look at here. It’s free, so you have no excuse.
  • LEGO 4+: Free app which lets your kids put together basic LEGO models and drive them over basic landscapes. Kept my children occupied for half an hour. Cost nothing, so I’m not complaining.

On the theme of the LEGO game, I want to put in a clear note on how good iPad is for playing games with children. I have twin sons aged four and a six year-old daughter, and the only games they can play are based on touch. Anything else – PC, 360, whatever – is simply them sitting next to me while I play the game. iPad’s been a revelation for us in terms of playing as a family.

My kids love CBeebies games from the official site – they’re usually no more complex than dressing a robot up, or swiping away paint to reveal a number – and things like Fruit Ninja and Hackycat work really well as the only thing you have to do is touch the screen. I doubt it would work so well with the Mini, but on a 10-inch screen it’s brilliant. Stuff like LEGO 4+ is completely free and, again, involves nothing more than simple swipes to build models and single presses to jump or move. A four year-old using an adult mouse doesn’t work. Touching something and making it squeak or run around definitely does. It means your kids can actually play rather than watching. They’re involved. You can take a look at a selection of kids’ games here.

Disclosure: Apple supplied an iPad on loan for playtesting. All games were bought by VG247.

1. Dragon246

Without reading it, IPad for games?
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. REAL GAMERS PLAY ON REAL MACHINES.

Jokes aside, games do look ok to great on ipad and there are gems. But my problem remains the same – controls. Using touchscreen for more complex function like a virtual joystick and so on never wooed me.
    Games just dont have that meat I look out for in ipads. However understand people like games on different devices, and respect that.

Looking forward to Republique. Maybe I will buy it on Android.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Gnosis

I’m sure that Ipad’s got a bunch of good games, but I’m not willing to pay for it more than I did for my PS3 and DS combined. Not happening. It would’ve looked different, if I already owned one. Especially since there are many many good indie developers making games for iOS and I like to support indies as a matter of principle.

#2 1 year ago
  3. theevilaires

Don’t see why not its clearly Apple’s closest thing to a home console. That retina display is gorgeous too i’m just not ever going to pay the price Apple wants for it.

^# 2 beat me to the punch with his post. I’m sure thats how the majority of consumers feel. Besides Apple fans of course.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Samoan Spider

@2 Android games with a PS3 controller ftw :).

My iPad was pretty much solely for fondlegaming and internet browsing. The Nexus 7 that replaced it is the same now, except with the added bonus of the controller for games like Dead Trigger
    I have my consoles and PC for the heavy duty requirements. The tablet is for the quick 5 minute games whilst I’m at work or on a train (or even on the toilet :) )

#4 1 year ago
  5. theevilaires

^ thats what I do with my EVO LTE now :D Plus now they have many devices you can stream your phone to your TV wireless. Get something like the game clip and wham you’re good. You have a portable console in your pockets every where you go. No need for an over priced device like the ipad.

I’d use the ipad for home use things like connecting to ip security cameras stationed all around my house and outside so I can spy on the neighbors ;)

#5 1 year ago
  6. OnionPowder

Not viable as a purchase for gaming alone. Price is too high and the quality of the games are okay at best.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Johnny Cullen

I know you don’t have a handheld iOS device, iPad aside, but if you ever get something down the line like an iPod Touch or iPhone – yes, I know of your detest for it – pick up Game Dev Story. Seriously.

Actually, there’s no excuse for you to pick it up for iPad, but it’s not suited for it unless you use the zoom button on it. It’s more suited to something like iP or iTouch.

#7 1 year ago
  8. xBASSxMONSTAx

I bought an iPad for apps/games. Best decision I made. There’s endless amount of great games on the App Store that cost next to nothing I’m currently playing “The Room” and its amazing.

Since I got mine, my other family members have bought one also. We now all have an Ipad each. :)

#8 1 year ago
  9. KrazyKraut

Nexus 7 will also do the work…

#9 1 year ago
  10. mistermogul

I was really disappointed when ipad was unveiled as I thought it was going to be scaled down OSX not an enlarged ipod Touch with iOS. I basically didn’t see the point in it.

I got an iPad 2 a couple years ago though and now I get it.

Couldn’t live without it. An amazing device…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lahanas

Fuck iPad, fuck Apple, fuck mobile gaming. It’s that simple.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DrDamn

“I’m sure thats how the majority of consumers feel. Besides Apple fans of course.”

The iPhone and iPad have *created* a load of Apple fans too. I got an original iPad – still use it and it works fine for what I want. I don’t actually game on it that much :). My wife is a technophobe, doesn’t do tech at all. She loves the iPad. If I go away I can’t take it with me because she needs it. The kids too, now nearly 3 and 5 have been using it since they were 18 months old.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DrDamn

Yeah the whole using iOS and not OSX seemed like madness, but it was genius. They saw and knew where phone OSs were going and it’s a much better fit.

#13 1 year ago
  14. polygem

i will probably never buy an ipad. i just don´t need one. i got a cheap but solid enough android phone that does the job. for mobile games i use the 3ds. i had an iphone once (2g) but the only apple product i own atm is an old and dying mac mini which is ok but i do not like apple products that much at all in general. never understood the apple religion…

#14 1 year ago
  15. OnionPowder

@7 That game is on android as well, great game. Actually most of Kairosoft games are great fun. You should check out Dungeon Village.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Ge0force

I had an iPad for several months, but except for some tower defense games, there’s not much to see for core gamers. Most games are very repetitive, limited and way too easy, and/or have semi-automated gameplay because the iPad has no physical buttons. That’s why the best games on iOS have gameplay compared to free flash games on pc.

Other games like Real Racing have console graphics, but the motion sensor/touchscreen controls make it nowhere as fun to play as console/pc racers with analog controller or steering wheel. Same goes for iOS-shooters, since tapping the touch screen is rather boring.

And last but no least, Android tablets are much cheaper than iPads, and at least you can plug a memory card or USB-stick into them. So many reasons for NOT buying an iPad…

#16 1 year ago
  17. FeaturePreacher

When you need to write an article desperately trying to advertise a device as a games system, that is the biggest piece of evidence that the device is not a games system.

#17 1 year ago
  18. DrDamn

Or put it another way. If Apple are loaning iPad’s to sites like vg247 then it shows how they see the machine and why it should be taken seriously as a gaming system?

#18 1 year ago
  19. silkvg247

And coming soon to a tablet near you: Webber!
    My first mobile game. :)

#19 1 year ago
  20. Deacon

Or, if you don’t want to compromise on traditional controls, just buy a Vita! :)

#20 1 year ago
  21. FinalStar

Clash of Heroes is still an awesome game, but the iOS version is a prime example of how not to do a port: The graphics wildly swing between very sharp und blurry (especially on the battle screen), the touch-interface is overly fiddly, only landscape format despite the battle screen being pretty much vertical (unless they patched this nowadays) und the bloated size (almost 2 GB, I believe, so way too much) are all things that certainly could have – and should have done a lot better

The original DS version is way, way superior, and even the HD ports on PS3/360 with their own flaws (horrible load times, mostly) simply feel better.

Which really is a shame, Clash of Heroes had the potential to be so fantastic on iOS, but they really messed up a lot.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Dragon246

@Deacon,
    YEAH! Enjoy the powah of dual-sticks!

I really wonder why Apple loaned the IPad. Did they do it with other sites too or did Pat requested it?

#22 1 year ago
  23. Bomba Luigi

Nah, no thanks. I do think there are good Games on that Plattform (not Ports or something like that, Games that are made for the Plattform), like for any Plattform, but thats not a thing I want.
    And I already can’t play all the Games I would like to, a massive Back Catalog sitting here in physical and Data Form, now start playing on Phones and stuff too makes not really sense for me.

And while I’m willing to spend a lot of Money for Gaming Devices and other Stuff too, I’m not really willing to spend a lot of Money for a Phone. And all in all, it still is a Phone in my Opinion. (Please notice the “in my Opinion” at the End and don’t tell me I’m wrong)

#23 1 year ago
  24. Carl Argent

Still not convinced it’s worth buying as a games machine. Would love one and I would buy the odd game but the games just don’t offer the same depth as a console.

@16 have to admit I have enjoyed some flash versions of tower defence games like Kingdom Rush and Plants VS Zombies :)

#24 1 year ago
  25. Christopher Jack

I’d rather a proper Win8 (NOT RT!) tablet. Besides, those are bitesized mobilephone games, I already have a smartphone & even on there I’d rather play emulators of old consoles than newer mobile games.

#25 1 year ago
  26. manamana

All Cave bullethell shooters are a must on this device, if you are in those kind of things. Also Darius Burst – it’s awesome. So is galaxy on Fire2 HD, Walking Mars, Dead Space, Joe Danger and Bastion. Or Plague Inc. etc.

Dont.stop.play

#26 1 year ago
  27. Zeydlitz

Sereously? Fruit Ninja? Plants vs. Zombies? And maybe Tetris and Arcanoid? From gaming handheld devices perspective this “games” are just toys, not real games. Well — Persona 4 Golden or Dragon Quest X — is handheld RPGs. Proffesor Layton serie — puzzler. Compare with this and it would be obvious, that iOS has NO GAMES.

#27 1 year ago
  28. lexph3re

I just got an iphone from my company. I’ll pass on iphone gaming, tried it went back to my vita. Those mini games are not worth the purchase of an overpriced Tab or phone and I can get the same if not slightly different ones on my vita. Granted psmobile needs some more titles but so far I will just use iOS as a company phone atleast until they say I can trade it in

#28 1 year ago
  29. manamana

#27 has no clue. Not that I would by an iPad only for games BUT in case you don’t know what games mean:

Bastion: awesome. TOUCH works even better than XBLA version.
    Autumn Dynasty: awesome. Optimized for touch display.
    Eufloria HD: see above.
    Anomaly Warzone Earth/Korea HD jepp, better than on XBLA.
    Another World is ablast from the past! (Which you probably don’t have …)
    Walking Dead, better with touch.

And so on and so forth. If you don’t respect them as games, I don’t respect you as a gamer. End of story.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Cobra951

“Cordy 2: This is a platformer and highlights probably the biggest problem with iOS games, from what I can see: touch-games that use emulated physical controls.
    . . .”

Honestly, do I need any retort to your story at all, after you yourself indicted it so well? There are no physical controls. Therefore, it can’t fit the bill for serious action gaming. It’s fine for all the “ADHD” “play for 20 minutes then put down” stuff you mentioned, though.

#30 1 year ago
  31. manamana

@Cobra oh, don’t get me started on the fun an iCade brings to the table. But yeah, games that are not designed for touch are aweful, especially platformers.

#31 1 year ago
  32. OlderGamer

I really don’t feel like iOS is a worthy investment as gaming device. Now, if I already own then sure I can see picking up a few games for it. But it is too expensive to be taken seriously. I would rather have a GameBoy or Vita for my gaming on the go. I do play a few games on my phone, but again I wouldn’t buy the phone just for those games.

Where as the GameBoy or Vita, yeah they are worth picking up just for games. And again cheaper. Tho the game prices quickly erode the savings from a hardware perspective.

I just thinmk a lot of people are tired of playing the same old games in the same old ways as they have done for 30 years. Stuff like Mobile offers different kinds of games played different ways. It is a nice break.

But at this point, I don’t think there is enough there to make more then a lite snack on. It isn’t dinner table worthy. Imo, ofc.

#32 1 year ago
  33. lexph3re

^ I feel the same way. I think the best fit it to just in-corporate touch controls and physical controls. It’s really the only way I see a comprehensible device

#33 1 year ago
  34. Telepathic.Geometry

I feel like an iPad is probably the kind of device where it has a few games on it which can keep you entertained between other things, but just as a gaming device, the games seem a bit thin on the ground. Wanna play Heroes of Might and Magic though, one of my students is crazy about it…

By the way Pat, Fiona? Is your wife Irish by any chance?

#34 1 year ago
  35. pukem0n

Why iPad is worth buying as a games machine

Because Apple either gives you money or you are a fanboy, its that easy :P

#35 1 year ago
  36. tatsujin

TERRIBLE article Pat … just … terrible. Don’t mention this device, ever again.

Real gamers will game on real PCs, real consoles and real portable devices. Not this shit …

-face palms- … terrible.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Telepathic.Geometry

Real gamers will play games, wherever. Fuck’s sake, “real gamers”. Fucking elitist…

#37 1 year ago
  38. OlderGamer

@TG

lol indeed. In my experience it is the “Fake” gamers you gotta watch out for.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Sadismek

@36 Wow. It’s TERRIBLE to be open-minded and try something new for once, right? Good luck with licking the cheese puffs off your fingers, mate.

#39 1 year ago
  40. DSB

It’s a lovely little timewaster. So far I only have an iPhone, but I wouldn’t mind a pad.

It’s great, but it’s also very on and off. When I first got it I couldn’t put it down. Now it’s a lot more limited.

But then stuff like Year Walk comes out and I’m just reminded that it’s not the platform, it’s entirely what you do with it.

Mobile makes a lot of developers try to do a lot with a little, and I think that’s amazing. It’s like making people write poems instead of novels.

#40 1 year ago
  41. fearmonkey

I have an Ipad and have alot of games but never play them. I just cannot stand not having real controls. If someone creates an Ipad dock that has Razor like dual stick controlls that would change. Real racing three is gorgeous but i hate the controls.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Stephany Nunneley

I honestly had no desire to own a tablet, despite how “cool” they look (which is odd considering I love gadgets and electronics). That was until I played around with the iPad my 14yo cousin has through the local high school – they hand them out to all students. I had a blast with it.

I will never be able to justify the cost though, despite how much fun I would have owning one. At least for the foreseeable future, plus, I would rather spent said funds on upgrading my PC with a screaming video card and larger SSD. Still, it’s nice to play with an iPad once in a while.

#42 1 year ago
  43. manamana

@DSB “Mobiles makes a lot of developers try to do a lot with a little, and I think that’s amazing. It’s like making people write poems instead of novels.”

Those words are the best I’ve ever encountered to describe this stuff, bravo!

Sword & Sworcery instandly comes to mind.

#43 1 year ago
  44. freedoms_stain

@42, would you consider something like a Nexus 7 or 10? A fraction of the cost and a lot of overlap on software.

#44 1 year ago
  45. sb319

Those games all perfectly fun, but only really suited for bite sized play. They don’t have the same gamer appeal as stuff on PC and console. You just can’t take iPad seriously as a games machine if there’s little even to rival the best of DS gaming

#45 1 year ago
  46. Wertisdk

I’m at ends here.
    I own both an iPad, an Android phone and either own or have played almost any popular console + a computer (which is my primary platform)

While I do acknowledge that mobile gaming CAN be fun, and that mobile games have their own merits, I just can’t help feeling a little annoyed that we allways categorize them and compare them directly to the larger games we know from PC and consoles.

I have played a lot of games on both my iPad and my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and the games are simply – if I am to generalize a little here – just too shallow and casual. While that suits me fine when I’m having the odd 10 minutes here and there, I would never wish for the mobile games market to kill off the console and PC games market, because the games are not of the same level at all.

Sure there’s a few artistic games out there that goes toe to toe with regular games, but that’s about all in my opinion.

I do feel like there should be a place for both markets, but mobile gaming (excluding handheld consoles) could never replace the regular gaming for me. And then there’s the whole problem of the limitation of controls on touch devices.

It’s all just too simple and shallow, and it might threaten the non-casual industry. That’s why I cannot help but hating it. Just a little…

#46 1 year ago
  47. Kabby

Pat’s hit that ‘crazy old man’ age. Like Molyneux and Spector.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Lengendaryboss

Personally i not a fan of mobile gaming, i might play some games on my Blackberry/IPAD i do see the entertainment value it in, i enjoy/prefer deeper experiences. i believe mobile gaming and console gaming are two completely separate beasts, they both serve their purpose.

#48 1 year ago
  49. DSB

You know what? I don’t think the end is nigh.

It’s true that cellphones and tabs are hurting something like PC sales, but that’s because they happen to do some of the same things. What they don’t do is game on the same level, so how big of an impact can that truly have on my gaming platform of choice?

Somehow I don’t think that that market is losing some of it’s staunchest customers to cellphones and tabs.

It’s not great for that industry, but it’s not armageddon. A lot of people will still be buying rigs, and playing games on them, right up until the point that they lose their spot to something better. That’s how the world works.

#49 1 year ago
  50. manamana

@47 “This article isn’t supposed to be a definitive look at iPad gaming, but in a few weeks my iPad has become very much used as a gaming device by myself and my children. The App Store’s ludicrously easy to use, and contains something for everyone. It’s going to be part of our household’s gaming habit from here on out.”

Whats so crazy old man about that, crazy young boy? ;-)

#50 1 year ago
  51. ManuOtaku

call me old school, but i wont get non dedicated gaming devices, i will support consoles and handhelds, the most i can, until they become another things entirely, like alwyas connected, on the cloud, all digital etc, thats one of the reasons i have always supported consoles and handhelds, and nto PC or devices like this one, sorry i know there are good games on them, and people that like it, but it is the way iam.

#51 1 year ago
  52. tatsujin

@40 No. You’re just as terrible as this article. Fucking terribad in this terriposts. Congrats on getting your promotion, terribad!

#52 1 year ago
  53. Digital Bamboo

I have to disagree, on almost every point. iPads cost too much to justify buying one for gaming, given the depth of the software, and lack of physical controls.

My wife got an iPad for free from her work, so I decided to give Zenonia a try, as I heard it was a quality 2D Zelda-clone. Unfortunately, as good as the game looked, I found it to be a frustrating experience between struggling with the damned touch controls, the 2 screen sizes (too big for the lap, or too small to see things past my hands!), and having it freeze the very first time I played it, so I never went back.

Though I am loathe to use the expression, ‘hardcore gamers’ need the deeper games and superior controls offered by dedicated gaming consoles and PCs.

Though, there is a bit of a catch 22 when trying to label gamers as light or hardcore, because I don’t think anyone that would drop 5 bills on an iPad to play games could be called a ‘light gamer’, however, that’s the only kind of games that are to be had on the platform.

Personally, I don’t think iPad’s are even good for kids, as they are much too easily breakable. It’s basically a piece of glass with an expensive wafer-thin computer behind it–probably the last thing I would give to a child to play with. But that’s just me.

The one thing I do agree on is that Clash of Heroes is an excellent game. But I’ll stick to playing it on my DS.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Chockster

Haven’t been reading VG247 in depth for a month or so after starting a new job and being busy with the family. Nice to see that you commenters are still a surly bunch of miserable motherfuckers.

Cheer up people!

#54 1 year ago
  55. Superfrog

I don’t get the hate in many comments. It’s not about iOS gaming replacing “classic” consoles or handhelds but adding to them. On iPad alone, there are several excellent games that don’t use virtual d-pads or avoid using even two directional arrows and thus don’t require you to hold the rather heavy device in your hands while playing. Strangely, none of them is included in Pat’s list – just to name a few: New Star Soccer, Uplink, all Cave shmups (and several other shmups), Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery, Waking Mars, Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Incoboto, Perfect Cell, Aquaria, Battleheart, Machinarium, Hunters 2, Battle of the Bulge, World of Goo.

#55 1 year ago
  56. bitsnark

“I don’t get the hate in many comments. It’s not about iOS gaming replacing “classic” consoles or handhelds but adding to them.”

Hammer meet nail, meet head.

This is completely right.

The people who say that iOS gaming is going to ‘kill’ console/home gaming are as tragically short-sighted as the deluded fools who decry iOS gaming as just ‘Angry Birds’ or ‘Cut the Rope’.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Telepathic.Geometry

@54: It was like this a month ago too mate, it’s incredible the number of posters who can’t disagree without being absolute miserable fucking cunts. It’s like they want to be disliked. Is it a badge of honor on the internet to be a rude and unpleasant cunt?

#57 1 year ago
  58. Sadismek

@52 You just called DSB “terribad”! *boom*

#58 1 year ago
  59. DSB

That’s pretty much the worst thing anyone has ever said to me :(

@55 To a pretty large extent, iOS games are classic games. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m old enough to remember playing games like that and being blown away.

Maybe that makes a difference, I dunno. 23 years ago, that was core gaming.

#59 1 year ago
  60. frostquake

While I disagree with this article, I get the Enthusiasm Pat has at this early point with the Tablet. When my Wife and I, each got an Asus Transformer Tablet as gifts, we were blown away.

Many of the Games Pat listed are on Android, or will soon becoming.

Control Schemes with just Tablet controls are Atrocious. The game Zombie Driver THD, is the same game on the Consoles. I bought it on the Tablet during the 75% off sale. This game is almost non-playable without a blu-tooth controller. Yes you can Emulate the PS3 controller, but it is still not supported for all games.

Games like Zen Pinball, and the new Star Wars Pinball, are Impressive, and control just as good if not better on my Tablet, and are cheaper, even Anomaly HD and Anomaly Korea control very well.

But then again games like Dead Trigger, Call of Duty Black OPs Zombies, Predators, Dead Space, Dark Meadow, Shadow Gun, Horn, and Wild Blood, which I consider more the type of games you find on Consoles, are Horrible on Tablets without a great Controller like the Xbox Controller.

While I really enjoy my Tablet, there is just something about kicking back with a Controller in hand and playing a Game on a Big TV screen, something you will never do with a Tablet. While my Tablet is HD and Gorgeous, it is still like playing a game on an Awesome 19 inch TV, which really gets tedious after a while.

Tablet gaming will continue to evolve, but I never seeing it replacing the Consoles, but I will predict something wild here and now..

“I see Sony and Microsoft releasing their own tablets, that will let you take their console games on the go with you, whether on the go to the bed, or in the car, or somewhere else.”

So Tablet and Consoles will be married to one another, just each working together, while offering something different.

Stay Frosty my Friends.

#60 1 year ago
  61. broomburgo

There’s a wrong assumption about the physical controls: the fact that they’re needed. The way we control a game is just an abstraction between a certain gesture that we perform and a certain event happening in the game, and a gamepad, a keyboard or a mouse are specific devices created to solve particular problems of interaction, and their use in a game in not mandatory at all. But the idea of “simulating” them on a touch screen is flawed at start, it’ll never work properly, as much as a virtual keyboard will always work worse than the physical counterpart: it was created physical with certain characteristics, and being physical means that with some practice you don’t need to watch it while typing, because you will feel what’s under your fingers.

IOS is a perfectly good developing platform for games, one of the best actually, very accessible and easy to program for, but it has still many problems: about the specific issue of controls, a lot of games try to emulate physical controls because they’re familiar, but that’s just unimaginative and uncomfortable, and there are A LOT of games that successfully experimented with alternative control schemes, taking real advantage of the touch screen: you just need to forget about the classic tropes, like the dual analog stick control, which is great if you have dual sticks (you don’t say) but just WRONG on a touch screen,

There’s value in taking advantage of mobile platforms, apart from the obvious economical reasons: touch controls are the future, because a person can just take his tablet and start gaming, without the need of practicing a clunky gamepad, memorizing all the buttons and becoming proficient with the analog stick abstraction. For example, a touch screen is actually MORE precise than an analog stick: it’s similar to a mouse, if you map position in game to position on the touch screen (and not velocity in game to position of the analog stock, like happens on consoles): one good example is the game Arc Squadron, which actually maps RELATIVE position on the touch screen from the beginning of the gesture to position in game, exactly like a mouse… it’s better than a gamepad.

#61 1 year ago
  62. ps4some

Pat – you should play the lego games with your kids on a console – really great introduction and you get to play with them.

I had an iphone for years and now android and I’ve yet to find a game I enjoy on any of them past 10 minutes – I want full on twitch gaming and you only get that from consoles.

The same casual gamers who bought a ps2 then bought a wii and now own an ipad. That’s why the ps3 and 360 have sold the same as the first playstation and so will the 720 and ps4. Stop trying to get casuals back console makers. They’re not coming back and you’re diluting my chances of a decent 60fps arcade racer. Mind you, now even Criterion have given up on 60 fps I’m probably screwed anyway.

#62 1 year ago
  63. monkees19

Sorry, I play my portable gaming on my 3DS. I’ll be DAMNED if I’m paying over $500 for a gaming device. It wouldn’t serve me any purpose otherwise. It’s just a giant iPhone…

#63 1 year ago
  64. DarkElfa

I’m an android person and both my wife and I use Android phones. That said, we bought an iPad first Gen when it first came out since she wanted to try one and I’m a geek.

My wife still uses it to read between the times my 9 year old is using it for sims and my 10 year old mentally handicapped son is using it for angry birds and plants and zombies.

That’s the real huge things here. My son can play games, unassisted on the thing. He can’t do hardly a thing unassisted, but he can operate the iPad and it gives us hope.

#64 1 year ago
  65. manamana

^ thats actually a beautiful story. No matter which hardware or what not. Cheers!

#65 1 year ago
  66. redwood

Ipad is a gooood gaming machine.. the problem are the games theselves.. i enjoy my iGamingg sessions but they just don’t leave me with enough memories to cherish honestly.. and i always love those small moments that console/pc games give me.. so in short the design is the problem other wise with the current toolsets (unity, unrealMobile,) and the horsepower the latest iOs devices have, you can make great games on Ipad too.. touchscreen is a problem really but I am sure not to a good designer..

#66 1 year ago