The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt screens are drop dead gorgeous

Friday, 1st March 2013 15:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CDP has sent over a batch of launch shots for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and they have made my eyes water with anticipation. 2014 cannot get here soon enough. Feast your eyes on the lot below along with some new details on the RPG.

The Witcher 3 revolves around Geralt’s search for his loved ones along with “his conflict with the Wild Hunt.”

Players will travel through all sorts of places in the game, and the shots below show off the islands of Skellige. CDP has said the areas in the game are “30 times larger than those in The Witcher 2.”

The setting changes depending on actions made by players, not only when completing Geralt’s personal storyline, but also because of his involvement in major local plotlines in each land and side quests.

The main narrative accounts for around 50 hours of gameplay in one playthrough, and the additional stories add another 50 hours of role playing, giving around 100 hours of total gaming time.

The Witcher 3 is slated for PC, PS4 and other next-gen platforms.

1. Moonwalker1982

Also as old as can be. From like soon after they announced the game ;)

#1 1 year ago
  2. Tavarish

Dang that IQ blows and hard. Look way worse than in first screens that were taken while using Witcher 2′s renderer.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Edo

Now imagine these with DX 11 effects that are going to be implemented…MIND BLOWN :) .

#3 1 year ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

@1 They are new to us because they are no longer GI exclusive and no one was technically supposed to post them.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Stardog

I think your image uploader has messed up the pictures. It looks like a PS2 game.

#5 1 year ago
  6. xxJPRACERxx

Looks like some of these pics got the extreme sharpen treatment or something… But still nice shots!

#6 1 year ago
  7. Darth-Bader

Thanks Stephany, they’re gorgeous. Also, what is everyone else talking about? The screens look stunning! Amazing amount of detail!

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gheritt White

@5: I think either your brain messed up or you started playing videogames with the current gen, you fucking n00b.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Stephany Nunneley

@6 Yeah, they do seem to be rather sharp on my end as well, but I didn’t use the unsharpen tool when I resized them – just loaded them in as is. Still, it’s lovely and I really want it. :)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Moonwalker1982

Ah ok, i wasn’t aware of that. I saw the screenshots everywhere at that time. Thanks for explaining.

I do have to say i agree with some here that it doesn’t look too good. PS2 graphics is a ridiculous thing to say, but the aliasing is insane here. It honestly isn’t looking good at all cause the serious aliasing is ruining it all. Put some Witcher 2 PC shots next to it…you’ll see what we mean.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Noodlemanny

Oooh, now there be horsies…
    Shots be damned

#11 1 year ago
  12. MadFingerz

Yup, for some reason the screens look very bad on my end too although from the thumbnails it’s noticeable they are supposed to look much better.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Moonwalker1982

Just a heads up. Here they are much better and yet still seems off.

#13 1 year ago
  14. sh4dow

I sure hope they’ll still be able to add density to that vegetation. That was a major turn off for me in Skyrim and I just loved it when I discovered e.g. bodies (I believe there may have even been some that matched an incident people were talking about in town – or maybe my head constructed that idea based on the detail…) in midst of those thick plants of The Witcher 2:

And thanks a lot @13!

#14 1 year ago
  15. Sanwiches

@8 shut up Gheritt

This is probably the worst picture http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/13/mar/witch5.jpg

#15 1 year ago
  16. CyberMarco

Yo sh4dow, are you Italian?

#16 1 year ago
  17. MadFingerz

@15 Seems like something went very wrong in the making of those screens. Hard to believe that picture (namely the fire) is any representation of the game’s graphics.

#17 1 year ago
  18. DSB

I guess there’s some sense to critisizing them for putting out unfinished shots, but the game is in pre-alpha.

If it looked anywhere near perfect, it would’ve been doctored, and people might not critisize it, but you’d still be looking at a lie.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Malmer

Looks like some PR person at CDPR read somewhere that applying excessive sharpen to screenshots is the way of the future…

#19 1 year ago
  20. Francis O

What sucks is this game is probably not coming to the Wii U. I think the Gamepad would be ideal for RPGs. Although the Wii U isn’t getting the Witcher 3, its still getting some good RPGs in the future.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Clupula

@20 – Could you be any more of a fanboy? Christ. Nobody gives a fuck about Nintendo in this thread. Don’t be derailing it, just to get your Miyamoto fetish off.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Gnosis

@21: I’m afraid, it’s too late for that. I rather get the feeling that he’s trying to do some covered advertising for this playeressence site of his.

Anyway…Sooo getting this game. Been a fan of the Witcher since I got my hands on the first book back in 2001. Glad these guys know what they’re doing.

#22 1 year ago
  23. sh4dow

@16: I didn’t take that screenshot.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Erthazus

“I think the Gamepad would be ideal for RPGs”

that kitchen sink with single touch screen is not good for anything.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Sadismek

I bet they didn’t use their new render they’ve been talking about. It doesn’t look very bad in this state, either, given that it’s most likely a pre-alpha build.

#25 1 year ago
  26. kaffikjelen

“2014 cannot get here soon enough.”
    Yes, it can, if it gets here too soon, they probably won’t be able to finish the game. That would be a real shame.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Espers

why the graphics are too razor sharp !! ?!

#27 1 year ago
  28. Digital Bamboo

Will clearly be stunning, (once the sharpness is turned down about 85 notches.) Not to be greedy, but I wonder if there’s any chance that a Witcher trilogy will ever be released on PS4, for those of us who have yet to experience this series.
    CDP must still have the assests from the cancelled Enhanced Edition, then it would just be a matter of porting over 2 from PC, and bam, slap a $99 price tag on that.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Rosseu

^+1

#29 1 year ago
  30. maeem13

These pictures were probably very high resolution, the forced down scaling has severely degraded their quality. Anyway I haven’t been this hyped up for a game since mgs2! Looks brilliant, the devs are ridiculously ambitious.

#30 1 year ago
  31. DSB

Nah, it’s an old renderer they’re using, they haven’t finished the new one yet. They said as much when they released the first screens, but that sort of thing gets lost in the noise.

#31 1 year ago
  32. SubwaySirfers

Anyone check this witcher wild hunt? http://www.razor1911-games.com/witcher-3-wild-hunt-pre-release-razor1911-2/

#32 1 year ago