PS4′s Ustream tech isn’t exclusive to Sony’s console

Friday, 1st March 2013 08:38 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 was announced last week and as many predicted, the ability to stream your gameplay to the world was unveiled. Powered by Ustream, the company’s CEO Brad Hunstable has stated that the tech is not exclusive to Sony’s rig. Could Xbox 720 / Durango also get a taste?

Speaking with IGN, Hunstable set out his stall, saying he wants Ustream tech to be everywhere, in a variety of devices.

When asked if the tech was exclusive to PS4, he replied “No, it’s not”, and continued, “There’s not something I can announced today, but we will… Again, I go back to our strategy, which is to be ubiquitous as well.

“I want to bring live broadcasting – that’s our mission – to broadcasters of all sizes, but also viewers, wherever they are. We are laser-focused on making sure that happens.”

So then, would you like to see the same tech in Xbox 720? How about your iOS or Android device? Let us know below.

1. mkotechno

Most stupid feature ever.

#1 1 year ago
  2. stevenhiggster

Know what’s gonna be really funny, when the 720 is announced and we find out that they are exactly the same console just with different badges! They both appear to be using exactly the same companies for everything, according to rumours of course.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Gadzooks!

#2

That would be utopia as far as I’m concerned. Would be for developers too I suspect.

Take the competitive focus away from hardware and focus it on innovativ software and services.

#3 1 year ago
  4. dravenkaze

Who gives a crap anyway

#4 1 year ago
  5. DrDamn

I’d like to know a bit more about what their involvement entails because their streams of the PS4 conference were the lowest quality and the shonkiest. I ended up switching to Gametrailers which was much better quality and solid.

#5 1 year ago
  6. _LarZen_

The next Xbox must have a streaming feature also, could be that they have partnered up with Ustream as well?

It’s a great feature and something that is probably going to explode. Just as it has on PC.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DrDamn

Building it in to the OS is the big thing. Every single game supporting it out of the box all of the time on everyone’s machine. Was one of the best things in OnLive.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Joe Musashi

I’m all for broadcasting gaming if it can be handled competently.

I had the same experience as #5. Most sites covering the PS4 announcement appeared to be using Ustream but I got dreadful performance, I also had to change over to GameTrailers to view it properly.

On the flip side, I really enjoy watching talented gamers run games. Speed runs in particular. Twitch TV is great for this sort of thing (especially the amazing charity events like Awesome Games Done Quick). If the next gen can facilitate this part of the culture that I enjoy so much then that’d be great.

JM

#8 1 year ago
  9. melonbuster1

Lol everyday I see how bad Sony has messed up. By April the Xbox720 will be more powerful faster and have the same features that the Ps4 has. Plus more developers. . Lol damn .. all this without Microsoft saying a word lol silence is golden

#9 1 year ago
  10. Erthazus

There will be difference with Xbox for sure. They are going to have SKYPE and will kill shitty XBOX Live voice Chat.

#10 1 year ago
  11. ps3fanboy

i hate gaikai with a passion!! fucking control freaks!!

#11 1 year ago
  12. theevilaires

I agree with number 1 who the fuck cares I will never use this feature. What a waste of resources. The morons of society facebook and twitter users can roll in this like a pig in shit for all I care.

#12 1 year ago
  13. freedoms_stain

@12, a lot of people make a living from live streaming game content.

The ability to live stream from a console without the need for expensive additional hardware will be seen as a massive plus for a lot of people.

#13 1 year ago
  14. theevilaires

^ Like who? That MLG crap? I’ve never seen live stream gaming ever. I do however watch some of G1GA’s stuff on youtube put he’s not profiting (or trying) off of that.

#14 1 year ago
  15. MadFingerz

^So your logic is: I don’t use it = no one uses it?

#13 is right, many people use streaming features and this won’t affect your gaming experience in the slightest so why bitching? I personally might never use it but I think it’s an awesome feature to have.

btw, don’t know why so many posters are assuming 720 will have it. Until it’s unveiled there’s no point speculating. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just iOS and Android at this point.

#15 1 year ago
  16. theevilaires

No thats not my logic. It never even peaked my interest that live streaming games would be in demand. I still don’t know how its that popular unless you’re doing live tournaments and betting money or something. I’m just sick of all this share share share crap.

#16 1 year ago
  17. MadFingerz

^Well, it can be fun, within certain contexts. For example, some years ago I was part of an online MGS community and this one guy would sometimes do a live streaming of his marathon through the games and would post a link of the stream so we could watch and chat all the while. It was much funnier than it sounds, trust me. For communities born on message forums and the like, this tool can be something that brings everyone much closer, which is something some gamers do value.

Yes, I can see why this whole social/sharing stuff doesn’t appeal to many gamers but we’re not all alike are we? And thank the gods for that :)

#17 1 year ago
  18. freedoms_stain

@16, You’re a console gamer, streaming (or even recording) console footage is difficult and expensive, therefore not a lot of people do it, therefore in your world streaming isn’t important.

In the PC world on the other hand there’s a lot of interest in watching gamers who are extremely good at their respective games play – enough for the most popular streamers to actually live off it. People watch League of Legends, Star Craft, other more niche titles like Path of Exile in order to see winning strategies at work. Sometimes it’s just impressive to watch someone be awesome in a competitive setting.

There are other dudes who make their livings off of YouTube ad revenue purely putting out gaming content.

The next generation having inbuilt capabilities to stream and record brings the consoles into that world. You’ll be able to watch the worlds No.1 Killzone player first hand from his eyes and see what it is that makes him so good and then you can take some of that back to your own game and get better that way.

#18 1 year ago
  19. MadFingerz

^”It’s also going to be easier for console players to make tips and tricks videos, guides etc etc.”

That’s the bit that I’m most excited about and the only feature I can imagine using frequently. If it works well it will be a big achievement.

#19 1 year ago