The Last of Us: new trailer shows Infected gameplay

Thursday, 28th February 2013 08:01 GMT By Dave Cook

The Last of Us has received a new trailer, showing the game’s Infected enemies in action, The clip also explains why Naughty Dog designed them the way it did.

Creative director Neil Druckman explained that the inspiration for the Infected came from a BBC documentary called Planet Earth, which explored the dangers of fungus. The studio then began to explore the potential threat of such a fungus if it jumped to humans.

The Last of Us then had a dangerous new enemy, but the team went through many Infected designs – some that seemed alien in concept, and other that looked more like humans. The fungus is the game’s key evil, rather than the human looters Joel and Ellie will face throughout the plot.

Sound will be a key mechanic when facing Infected, as they use a sonar-like click to detect players in the dark. Staying silent and being sneaky is vital to survival. The sound is really creepy, as you can hear in the clip below.

Scary no?

What do you make of the clip above? Let us know below.

You can also check out my interview with the cast of The Last of Us, where we discuss the game’s central characters, plot and more.

1. Lengendaryboss

This game is going to be Awesome.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 looks really good yeah. Still haven’t had a chance to play it yet

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

@2 well i get my chance with the The Last Of Us Demo coming with GOW Ascension. Although didn’t the media get a chance to play the The Last Of Us i have seen a preview on IGN.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 One of our freelancers wrote a hands-on for us last year. I was very jealous :P

What do you make of what they’ve shown so far?

#4 1 year ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

Impressive as usual certainly my GOTY next to GTA V and MGS Ground Zeroes. Now i just need Multiplayer info or a beta (or both).

#5 1 year ago
  6. dravenkaze

Gonna crap myself playing this game lol

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dave Cook

@5 It has high potential yeah, as we know Naughty Dog doesn’t cut back on the polish stakes. Any new IP regardless of platform deserves a fighting chance.

@6 Yep :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

@7 Agreed. just checked the Blog there is new The Last Of Us News about its development episode 1: Hush.

#8 1 year ago
  9. manamana

This and Bioshock are my personal GOTY aspirants.

#9 1 year ago
  10. manamana

They certainly will have the best soundtrack with Gustavo Santaolalla.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dave Cook

@10 the acoustic stuff we’ve heard so far is brilliant I thought :)

#11 1 year ago
  12. Beta

Actually cannot wait for this game!

I like that they haven’t spoiled the game with the marketing ala Uncharted 3. Felt like I’d already played the whole game by the time it released, because I was a moron and watched all of the trailers and gameplay vids. :P

Anyway, I look forward to crapping myself when I start playing. ;)

#12 1 year ago
  13. Mike W

Finally a survival horror game, take notes ‘Fuckcom’ (Capcom)

#13 1 year ago
  14. fengato

Happy to read the positive comments, though I’m doing my best not to spoil things by watching the trailers. Want this to be fresh as possible come release.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Moonwalker1982

Damn…i’m definitely the only one here but i was hoping that somehow this game wouldn’t really be scary. But that was a stupid thing to hope for, knowing in what kind of setting this game is. Quite the change from Uncharted, that’s for sure.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Carl Argent

Looks great. Wishing I owned a PS3 at right now!

#16 1 year ago
  17. MadFingerz

@15 I’m not really a fan of scary games/flicks but when it is done in an interesting way such as this, it does grab my enthusiasm. Then there’s all the tech around it that just looks awesome.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Eddie Rodrigues

Looks promising, I was certain that it was going to be a generic Zombie TPS but glad to see I was wrong.

#18 1 year ago
  19. noamlol2

why shoving zombies? why?
    it doesn’t fit.

this is one thing i hate to see in games
    unrealstic infected

the whole idea is basicly a cheap zombie rip-off

back in my day zombies were undead,risen by necromancers
    not “infected” who could run like uasin bolt

#19 1 year ago
  20. MadFingerz

^ehrmmm, unrealistic infected? Because zombies are supposed to be realistic?

Sorry if I’m missing your point mate but I didn’t understand what your post is about.

#20 1 year ago
  21. osric90

Damn… This game looks amazing! But I had to sell my PS3 because I crashed my car and still have to pay its repair… :’(

#21 1 year ago