OUYA shipping to Kickstarter backers on March 28, Kellee Santiago joins firm

Thursday, 28th February 2013 17:25 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

OUYA will start shipping to Kickstarter backers on March 28, the firm has announced on Kickstarter. Also announced was that thatgamecompany’s Kellee Santiago has joined as head of developer relations.

“OUYA gets it, said Santiago in the page update. “This is the first console company that really understands how important it is to remove the barriers to development. By freeing up the development process, OUYA is opening up new doors in console gaming.”

The firm also announced the winners of its 10-day game jam, CREATE, which resulted in the following titles being announced for the console:

• Grand Prize: Strange Happenings on Murder Island (Free Lives)
  • Most Surprising: Television (Laboratory Games LLC)
  • Four Bright Buttons and Two Sticks: Bombball (E McNeill)
  • Most Immersive: Whispering Willows (Night Light Interactive)
  • Pop Your Eyes Out: Pipnis (Santa Ragione)
  • Best Couch with Friends Games: 2D Cube Zombie Platformer (Molinware)
  • Best Game Created Using Unity Engine: Stikbold (Team Stikbold)

Other developers creating games for the console include Kim Swift and Airtight Games, Minority Media of Papo & Yo fame, and Tripwire Interactive is bringing The Ball to OUYA in March and is also working on a “new, exclusive title.”

OUYA is set for a full launch in June.

1. OlderGamer

Tell you what, I am going to wait for three games. Once the third game that I really want to have hits, I am buying one. The thing only costs 100usd. That is the right price. Just waiting on games.

Some more coverage on said games would be cool, hint* hint* wink* wink*

#1 1 year ago
  2. DeVitowned

Which games are you waiting for, OG?

#2 1 year ago
  3. OlderGamer

That is the thing. I honestly don’t even know the scope of what is coming out for the system yet. I think it needs more coverage.

Right now ChronoBlade has my attention.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

OUYAforum has done a rather smashing job keeping up with what’s rumored and confirmed for the system: http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/14/ouya-has-481-games-confirmed-for-the-platform/

#4 1 year ago
  5. OlderGamer

Indeed Steph, I missed that article. My bad.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DeVitowned

Keep in mind, it’s basically cell phone tech crammed into a cube, given controller and HDMI. I would expect nothing more than what you find on App Store or Google Play until the tech is there. Be a new OUYA released every year.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Stephany Nunneley

@5 Oh that’s np – sometimes stuff gets buried newswise depending on how busy the day was, I was just trying to help you with your decision. :)

#7 1 year ago
  8. OlderGamer

Very much appreciated Steph, I was browsing the link. A bit more info out there then I thought if ya know where to look.

#8 1 year ago
  9. ps4fanboy

They could have launched it back in dec/jan but they waited for the price of the chipset to reduce so that they can profit more/avoid loss. It all sounded pretty great back last year but seems dated now. Thats what i think about it.

#9 1 year ago
  10. No_PUDding

Good luck Kellee. I wouldn’t be looking to move into this company until it’s proven itself.

Mind you I saw her pipe up about there not being any women at the Sony conference on Twitter and decided she is less intelligent than I thought.

Anyone as reactionary as that, can only be as clever as me. (Read: Not very)

#10 1 year ago
  11. theevilaires

OUYA? Really? Didn’t they say they were going to release new hardware every year? I really want to see how this is all going to work. I mean these things will be just as powerful as smart phones each year right? Why get this when I can connect my EVO LTE up to my 55″ wirelessly via HTC HD-LINK and play Jetpack joyride (fucking very addicting game).

Will OUYA have 1st party exclusives? Because I’m sorry with the PS4 being very easily to develop for and more PC like the indie phone scene will no doubt have a place on the next gen consoles too. I’m sure Microsoft and SONY will agree to snuff out OUYA very quick. Theres no reason why Android games won’t be on the next PS4 system in the PS Store under Indie games. Google and SONY have a tight relationship so I don’t know about OUYA….

I’ll still get one of course because I am a collector ;)

#11 1 year ago