Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Wii U absence is down to ‘lack of resources’

Thursday, 28th February 2013 14:06 GMT By Dave Cook

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 isn’t coming to Wii U due to a lack of resources, according to Konami producer Dave Cox.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Cox said, “The reason why we are developing it on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 is simply because that’s the amount of people we got.

“If we want to do a Wii U conversion, that’s another 20 people. We just don’t have the resources or the budget to do it. It’s not to say we wouldn’t do it, it’s to say at this point we don’t want to lose focus on what we’re doing.

“We’ve got a certain way down the line, and it would be a distraction to have to do a port to another system at this point.”

Bad times, seeing as Castlevania has largely existed as a regular series on Nintendo formats.

Would you like to see it happen? Let us know below.

1. theevilaires

OMFG come on now. Its official the Wii U will never sell over 50,000 units. This is some pure BS* Its sad but Nintendo you dug your own grave.

How many people here have a Wii U? I have 2 myself and although it will never be my main console of choice its sad to see there are just no games for this machine that I can’t get else where.

#1 1 year ago
  2. manamana

^ you are certainly right, TEA.

#2 1 year ago
  3. orakaa

20 people ? I know that amounts to a lot of money when you take into account the whole development time… but that would mean they don’t think they could cover this cost on WiiU sales?

For a developer like Konami (not the smallest one around) this is absolutely stunning and tells a LOT about WiiU situation and third party support in the future (looks like The WiiU is taking the same route as the Wii).

Nintendo really needs to do something because for the moment, it’s a catastrophe

#3 1 year ago
  4. mistermogul

Looks like my Wii U is gonna be strictly for 1st party games only.

It’s a shame about the lack of 3rd party support though like #1 said, Ninty have dug their own hole and not really done themselves any favours imo…

#4 1 year ago
  5. orakaa

Just did a quick estimation. If you take an average income of 3500 dollars per month for each of those 20 employees (it’s an example as I don’t know how much they’d be paid), over 2 years, you’d need around 1 680 000 to pay them. Let’s say you double this amount for business taxes, etc. (in France an employer grossly pays twice the income of his employees).

Knowing that the promotion and media would mostly be there (you would principaly need to add a “WiiU” sticker on all posters, video, media, etc.), they would need around 56 000 copies of the game to break even. Now I know there would still be manufacturing fees that I haven’t put in. So let’s be VERY large on this one and go up to 80 000 copies or even 100 000 copies to break even.

Do they think they could not EVEN sell 80 000 copies on WiiU, worldwide?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Clupula

Well, most of the Nintendo Castlevania games have been DS titles. There’s like 10 of those. And they’re still getting a 3DS one.

The majority of the console titles, though, have been non-Nintendo.

Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, Dracula X, Symphony of the Night, Bloodlines, Chronicles, and the two Lords of Shadows games were all on non-Nintendo systems.

Only Castlevania 1-4 and the two N64 titles were on Nintendo consoles.

#6 1 year ago
  7. JGaLaXY815

Whenever they announced the launch games of the Wii U, i always thought it was a joke…decent system but no 1st party games, and not many 3rd party games, and the hardware is funny too…Nintendo is done…

#7 1 year ago
  8. theevilaires

I think we’ll at least see GTAV on Wii U because I think Reggie went to Rockstar and kissed some Houser ass for sure. They need GTAV on their system to attract other 3rd parties. GTAV is the one title that has the power to influence other 3rd parties to do so.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Clupula

I seriously doubt we’ll see GTAV on the Wii U, at least, at the same launch window as the others.

#9 1 year ago
  10. manamana

I would go as far as to say that the least game we will see on WiiU is GTAV.

#10 1 year ago
  11. manamana

Btw. Castlevania MoF Demo looks gorgeous on the 3DSXL. Looks great in 2D but the 3D depth is absolutely awesome, no kidding. Has this Cave3D like style but nails the Castlevania mood.

#11 1 year ago
  12. OlderGamer

The last Nintendo system I owned for 3rd party games was the SNES. But that doesn’t mean the last Nintendo system I have enjoyed owning was the SNES. Just saying 3rd parties aren’t why I buy Nintendo systems in the first place.

But you still get some gems. Like Monster Hunter Ultimate. Like ZombiU. The way next gen is shapping up the only reason for me to own a system will be for the first party games. Looks like PC will be lead platform for everything multiplat anyways.

I am still very happy with my WiiU. And I think I will be for a long while.

That being said Nintendo should, imo, lower the price. 350usd is too high. I don’t think PS4 or XB720 will sell if they are 350usd+ either. I think, just like the WiiU, they have a good launch window and then hit the skids.

The masses just will not pay 350/400/or more for a system.

I think price more then anything has hurt Nintendo.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Francis O

I think a lot of people here are overreacting to a console that just got going. I remember people saying all the same crap about the 3DS. Time will solve all. I don’t need 10 different condole to play Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2.

#13 1 year ago
  14. theevilaires

^ Thats not the point. The point is if you’re a super hardcore Nintendo fan you want the Wii U to be your main console for third party games. I’m just merely speaking out loud for those type of gamers.

I’m a PlayStation guy and will always be until SONY falls out the race willingly or unwillingly. Microsoft and Nintendo will always be 1st party title systems for me but there are the few exceptions I don’t mind making like Monster Hunter 3 which is from a third party.

#14 1 year ago