Watch Dogs: PC is lead platform

Wednesday, 27th February 2013 08:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Watch Dogs developer Ubisoft Montreal is using PC as its lead platform before taking its sandbox game to PS4 and – most likely – Xbox 720.

Speaking with Dutch site Inside Gamer, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot revealed that Watch Dogs is using PC as its lead platform, and will then be ported to subsequent formats.

The reason – he said – was that the AMD-based PS4 architecture makes it easier to port games across from PC than previous generations.

Said Guillemot, “We expect fewer problems with porting games to the PS4 than the PS3, which had a completely different infrastructure. Previously, we developed games first on the Xbox 360 and then translated them onto the PS3. It took a lot of time and money to port.”

But now PS4 is easy to port for, he says.

What do you make of the above? Let us know below.

Thanks Player Attack.

1. mkotechno

NASA PC > PS4 > PC > XBOX360 >>>>> PS3

2. OwnedWhenStoned

This just makes sense to me. Seems like the logical way to do it.

3. Edo

@1 NASA PC?Must be a joke post.

4. Samoan Spider

This is what I was expecting to happen with next gen development. So provided Ubi aren’t blowing smoke, this should be the trend that see’s the PC given a fair crack at consistently decent multi-platform releases as well as less of a burden on devs.

5. silkvg247

Good news for PC and PS4 owners I’d say.

6. OwnedWhenStoned

As long as they don’t sacrifice the control methods on the PC, like Sleeping Dogs did. I could never understand why you can’t use the arrow keys in Sleeping Dogs.

Mind you lack of control config is a real bugbear of mine as I’m disabled.

7. nielsthomas1

PC lead platform? Ubisoft?

I’m so proud of you guys. Now don’t do anything stupid like always-online DRM and I may finally lift my boycott on you.

8. roadkill

It was common sense really.

9. hives

End of shitty ports is nigh? : O

@1 NASA PC, lol. Currently I have 2 y.o. PC that I bought for 500$ and I can run Crysis 3 on high (not Ultra, but well, it’s Crytek game). 500$ isn’t really NASA level I’d say :P

10. Ajsman

For now I just have to call BS on this one. There has been too much sucking up from Ubisoft since they started expanding UPlay to believe this. Probably just another PR stunt. Just like EA and DICE lied about PC beeing a lead platform for BF3 when they started expanding Origin.

I believe it when the game releases and the controls aren’t dumbed down just so you can fit all of them on a gamepad.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if the UI is optimized for using on PC…

11. harr0w

Ditto^^ i’ll beLIEve it when I see it.

12. B.E.S.O

It is the only way available, dont you think?

13. Gnosis

This coming from any other company would be good news, but Ubisoft… Dunno. I’d have to see it first, before I get hyped. And aside from that there’s still their beloved always on DRM. Yeah, wait and see.

14. Erthazus

@1, NASA PC? You mean shitty PC’s that they have?

they don’t use GTX 680, okay?

So no, PC in general.

15. mad1723

Little typo in the article. PS4 is AMD based, not Intel ;)

16. loki

further proof that Ubisoft have no brains. Platform with apparently minimal sales – lead platforms. Ubisoft continues to lick PC’s torrents users ass. And another medicore Ubisoft game with tons of ports I definitely will not buy

17. Samoan Spider

@16 You’re right actually, but I notice that the PS2, PSOne, DS and GameBoy each have twice the sales of the 360 or the PS3 so I suppose really they should be the lead platforms?
    However in the real world, most of the leg work is done on PCs and Macs so it stands to reason that you would use the PC as your lead architecture because the 720 and PS4 will stem from that and be far closer to native than you have currently. I know you don’t want to admit it because you’re desperate to bash PC gamers, but it IS sensible.

18. LooneyLad

Go away console peasant ! you dont know what your talking about !

19. PC_PlayBoy

Watch Dogs: PC is lead platform

No shit…

20. nklh4x0r

PC FTW

21. fearmonkey

Awesome… With the PS4 and next xbox using PC like parts, using PC again as the main development platform makes sense. Hopefully this will mean that we will see better PC games taking advantage of all it can offer unlike Dead Space 3 as an example.

22. livewired500

Good for you Ubi. Like fearmonkey said, hopefully this becomes more a trend in this gen. PC’s scale from low spec to high spec rigs anyway. With the new PC like architecture, the consoles should fit right into spectrum.

Granted, I was already planning on getting this for the PC anyway, but this is good news.