Watch Dogs aiming to compete with Grand Theft Auto

Wednesday, 27th February 2013 00:01 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Watch Dogs is hoping to snaffle a few slices of Grand Theft Auto’s open-world pie, and Ubisoft expects the near-future effort’s connected features to grant it an edge.

Ubisoft executive Alain Corre told EDGE that Ubisoft hopes Watch Dogs will become a major brand, like Assassin’s Creed, but in a new sphere.

“What we want with Watch Dogs is to try and crack a new genre, which is the open-style GTA genre,” he said.

“Yes, Grand Theft Auto is one of the biggest brands in the industry and everybody respects the brand and we’ll have fun playing the next one too, but I think Watch Dogs’ positioning is also on next-gen, bringing a lot of features – connectivity, interactivity, companion gaming and so on which is bringing some freshness to the genre.”

Corre said Grand Theft Auto 5′s arrival September release isn’t a problem for Watch Dogs, which is also due at the end of the year.

“When you have a great product in our or any other industry, it also excites the appetite of a lot of consumers in that category. People interested in racing games will buy many racing games if the games are great,” he said,

“So we think that we can even benefit from the fact that Grand Theft Auto is coming. The spirit will be that this kind of game is great fun and I think Watch Dogs can also bring a lot of the same fans.”

EA has made similar comments about the Battlefield and Call of Duty rivalry, and prior to its dissolution THQ aimed for Saints Row to stand alongside GTA as an alternative in the genre.

Watch Dogs is expected on PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox 360 and probably Microsoft’s next console, too. GTA5 has been announced only for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Thanks, OXM.

1. xXNapsterManXx

I think I’ll just get and love both.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Strange Sultan

Good luck with that

#2 1 year ago
  3. NocturnalB

Competition is good for any industry. Now… try and convince me Ubisoft. Most likely will end up doing what #1 said, get both.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Phoenixblight

Grand Theft Auto V is coming out in September where Watch Dogs is coming out during the holiday season the likelihood of them getting piece of the pie is slim to none.

#4 1 year ago
  5. TMRNetShark

Will be the first person to admit… Watch Dogs looks like it can compete with GTA V. GTA V looks great, but Rockstar needs to pull all the stops and muster a lot of talent to make it really unique and new… apart from GTA IV. Watch Dogs is completely “new” in it’s game mechanics and looks to show off what type of game it is compared to GTA.

Both looks great, but I like new more than same. I think Watch Dogs will seem like the better title… but that is to be seen for both.

#5 1 year ago
  6. manamana

Really, in the grand scheme of things (and I’m talking the masses/majority), everyone knows GTA whilst no one knows WD. Good luck with that, UBI. I’m personally getting both.

#6 1 year ago
  7. tezzer1985

They both seem like very different games to me, with different tones, with only the open world aspect being the same.

#7 1 year ago
  8. HauntaVirus

Agree with #7. Corre probably shouldn’t have said that, why not let Watch Dogs carve out it’s own path. I’ll be getting both for sure.

#8 1 year ago
  9. mojo

from what ive saw from both games i dont see so much of similarity..
    WD has a completly different approach and focus than GTA..
    Dont see them both competuing tbh..

#9 1 year ago
  10. roadkill

You mean destroy Grand Theft Auto, because that’s what’s happening here. It’s like BF and CoD, WoW and GW, one game is for smart people and the other is for not so smart people.

#10 1 year ago
  11. TheWulf

I don’t think that there can even be a competition on the PC, to be honest. I mean, GTA V is going to release either months later than consoles in an atrocious, insulting state; or it’s going to release a year or two (or more) later on the PC in a barely acceptable state. RockStar hardly have a great track record for this.

And to be honest? GTA IV proved to me that in many ways they’ve forgotten what made their older games great, anyway.

#11 1 year ago
  12. shaftayo

I would hope that with all the multiplayer typical of most games I hope there could also be a car racing mode like need for speed, etc.

#12 1 year ago
  13. theevilaires

Hey I rather Ubisoft compare WatchDogs to GTA than falsely admit its a modern day Assassins Creed. I say go for it. We need competitors or more similar games to GTA next gen. Better than having a ton of FPS too.

So now we have GTA,Saints Row,The Getaway,and Watch Dogs. Cool!

#13 1 year ago
  14. G1GAHURTZ

^ The Getaway?

I thought they binned that IP ages ago…

#14 1 year ago