Retro City Rampage has sold more on Vita than other platforms

Wednesday, 27th February 2013 19:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Retro City Rampage developer Brian Provinciano has said the Vita version of the game available through PSN has sold “much more” than its Steam, XBLA or PS3 iterations. “Steam’s done far better than XBLA too, but PSN has still done the best,” Provinciano said, according to Joystiq. Provinciano also said over Twitter the XBLA version cost more to develop “than all other SKUs combined,” and that “Sony promoted” the title “incredibly well and Vita players are hungry for games.” Retro City Rampage is expected on WiiWare this week.

1. DocCylon

I’m pretty seriously edging closer to buying a PS Vita every day. It’s becoming kind of a right time with the right amount of money in my bank account kind of affair.

2. jeffb01

Go! Vita! Go!

I bought mine on vita. I think it includes the ps3 version, but I haven’t even downloaded the ps3 version yet…

3. Erthazus

Of course it sold more because Vita has no games.

4. Ge0force

If XBLA version cost more to develop “than all other SKUs combined”, I’m curious while indies still bother to do so. I really hope more indies switch to Steam, PS and Vita, where they get support from Valve/Sony and can selfpublish their games. It may take a while, but gamers WILL get tired of playing “another” shooter, and switch to platforms with more innovation and more diverse games eventually.

5. Da Man

^That’s right, which is why they’ll never switch from Xbla, the most diverse platform with the most diverse releases.

Enjoy your port of Fez two years later, deluded person.

6. CyberMarco

This kind of games really fit on portable devices. I would really like to see games like Scott Pilgrim VS The World, Double Dragon Neon and other PSN titles on the Vita. They should had made PSN games available on the Vita somehow…

7. Eddie Rodrigues

I am truly surprised… This game is fun as hell and I would grab a Vita Version if my Memory Card/Stick wasn’t full

8. DSB

@4 Quite a few indies have taken offers from Microsoft only to swear them off for posterity.

Team Meat, 2D Boy and Jon Blow have publicly come out against it, just to name a few.

9. YoungZer0

@5: You mean the FEZ that couldn’t get patched, because the developer did not have enough money to pay Microsoft? THAT FEZ?!

10. povu

I’ll enjoy a bug free Fez very much.

11. Da Man

Yep, that Fez. Last I heard the developer was grateful to MS and dissing Nintendo..

I wonder why you guys care that much about developers and platform nuances? Probably because otherwise you would have nothing to discuss in the blog comment sections.

#11 1 year ago
  12. The Dirty Llama

^ So coming on a video game site insulting people because they have an opinion is any better than commenting about developers and platforms? Sir,this is a gaming article and look at the title,how can you avoid not commenting on publishers and platforms. The article calls for that, but insults are questionable.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Cobra951

Problem is there’s a glut of digital stuff on XBL (GoD, XBLA, XBLIG), and their box is a home console. Handhelds are a better venue for retro games like this, and MS doesn’t have one. I saw the game offered, but I just bought 3 other games during the big XBL sale recently. (Dirt 2: $5, Grid: $5, Civilization Revolution: $10.) I can only spend so much time (and money) there.

#13 1 year ago