God of War HD is free to all PS Plus subscribers from today

Wednesday, 27th February 2013 13:10 GMT By Dave Cook

God of War HD is being given away by Sony to all PS Plus subscribers from today. It’s ideal if you want to brush up on all things Kratos before God of War: Ascension launches.

Announced on PS Blog EU this afternoon, the deal lasts for two weeks, in a bid to get players back into the series ahead of Ascension.

So, who’s getting it?

1. CyberMarco

Free stuff is always welcome! xD

#1 1 year ago
  2. DeVitowned

Someone direct me to where it says free forever? The Blog post says “as long as you are a member.” Not that it matters to me since I’m a shitty US Plus member.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 From the post I linked to above:

“To celebrate the launch of God of War: Ascension next month, we have managed to secure God of War 1 HD for our PlayStation Plus members to download and keep for as long as you are a member, at no extra cost!”

“For as long as you a member”.

It’s all there.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DrDamn

@Dave
    It’s exactly like other PS+ stuff. Available for a limited time to download and if you grab it you can play as long as you keep you membership up.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 Yeah, but am I right in thinking that some PS Plus games expire after a while?

If not, I’ll amend it. I’m not a subscriber :)

#5 1 year ago
  6. NeoSquall

Dave, the PS Blog doesn’t say you can keep playing the game even after Plus expires…

edit, since I’m late:
    @5 Nope, no Free Plus game expires after you add them to your collection.
    Maybe you’re mistaking it with PSP games downloaded trough Sony Media Go.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dave Cook

@6 thanks mate, appreciate it :) PS Plus is something I haven’t used much, just a trial.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ps4fanboy

This game gets so frustrating at times but it is also the best in the series imo.

#8 1 year ago
  9. NeoSquall

I’ve subscribed my second 3 months period last July, after I’ve been let down from my previous employer, when they started the Instant Game Collection initiative, then added a full year when it was discounted, so now I’m subscribed until next October.
    In this time I added something like 50 among AAA, minis, PSN and PS Vita titles (but I shamefully refrained from adding Space Marine as well because I thought having the PC CE was enough… what was I thinking?!?) and I haven’t lost any of them.

Actually, I still have to download most of them because they won’t fit in my 320GB PS3, lol :D

#9 1 year ago
  10. mojo

yeah plus is great.
    im subscriber since the discounted one year sale last autumn.
    Ive long ago lost hope of ever catching up with all those games your getting for free.

ive just bought a vita and i had all vita titles added to my list beforehand so now i have arround 10 aditional titles to play instantly..

cant catch up.

#10 1 year ago
  11. CyberMarco

^ I feel you mate… I just play the multiplayer games first while they are alive and leave the single-player ones for later…

#11 1 year ago
  12. mojo

^^yeah “later”..

#12 1 year ago
  13. NeoSquall

@7 I must retract my previous statement.

Downloaded PS+ games do expire, but you can still redownload them from your “Downloadable Content” page in the PS Store. I just noticed it by seeing that my downloaded Deus Ex: Human Revolution game has expired, but I can download it again from the store at no additional expenses.

This must be Sony’s implementation of their infamous “Expiring demoes” patent from years ago, anyway I don’t think GoWHD will be different, since it will be added as a “Free PS+ Game”, thus subject to this “licensing time” mechanic.

Update: My inFAMOUS 2 game is also supposed to be expired since last October, although I’m playing right now.. Bah, I don’t know what to say.

#13 1 year ago
  14. SyNx153

GREAT NEWS

#14 1 year ago
  15. theevilaires

As long as you download the game and have it in your download list you can re-download it and play it anytime as long as you want as long as you’re a plus member.

The fact that you’re a passionate gamer like most of us and you’re not a PS+ member is telling quite a bit.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Dave Cook

@15 Not really dude, I get sent games for review all the time. I don’t need a PS Plus subscription ;)

#16 1 year ago
  17. DrDamn

That is just how they control the PS+ membership expiry part. When you download it sets the expiry of the game to be the date your sub expires, so you don’t need to be online to play. If the game date expires and you kept your sub going it’ll just reset the expiry to the new date next time you start it up (providing you are online). You don’t need to download it again. If you check inFamous 2 after you finish playing it then the expiry date will have reset to when your current sub runs out.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Ge0force

@16: Did you also get review codes for Tales from Space: Mutant Blob Attacks, Cubixx HD and Machinarium? PS+ is also great to discover great games you wouldn’t buy because of lack of marketing.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Dave Cook

@18 No, but I played Machinarium back in the day :) I buy indie games that catch my eye too. I never take them for free as I like to support smaller devs.

I bought Hotline Miami and Prison Architect to write about them for example. I think taking money away from those types of devs is wrong.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Dragon246

@Dave,
    You really don’t think Sony doesn’t compensate companies for providing free games, do you?

#20 1 year ago
  21. DrDamn

I think he meant he doesn’t like to take free review copies of the smaller titles. Nothing to do with PS+.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Dave Cook

@21 yep that’s what I meant.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Dragon246

@Dave,
    Oh ok. I wont send you to inquisition then ;)

#23 1 year ago
  24. reask

I am actually playing this atm on the collection disc.
    I started it a year ago and got stuck on the collapsing floor bit so walked away.

Carried on again last week and I have to say its a really good game.
    Frustrating at times and that’s on normal but a very very good game imo.

#24 1 year ago