EA to implement unified log-ins across multiple platforms

Wednesday, 27th February 2013 17:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA will soon implement a cross platform log-in system, according to the firm’s CTO Rajat Taneja.

Speaking with Venture Beat, Taneja said the unified log-in will work across Orign, Facebook, iOS, PS3, and Xbox 360.

“Our strategic vision at EA is to create a single backend system so that we can truly embrace the secular trends in our industry that are creating massive growth for games,” said Taneja, adding that the move will allow EA to “embrace all of the new business models” which may come out of the project.

The unified log-in system will allow users to find others to play supported titles with, and communicate across platforms.

“We rebuilt our backend infrastructure on a fundamental level. It’s all about entertainment, but we realize that the way consumers are interacting with entertainment is different. They consume in bite-size chunks throughout the day, on the console, on a PC at work, and on mobile,” Taneja explained, noting that the new system will allow players to log-in using any ID – such as Facebook or Gmail – and the system will automatically recognize the player no matter the device to connect gamers “across all platforms.”

This will also allow players to log-in on one platform, and continue playing the same game on another – such as Plants vs Zombies on PC and then on iPhone.

“All of our games will enable types of experiences that are congruent and consistent on the PC, consoles, smartphones, and tablets,” Taneja said. “We have a complete re-architecture of our data systems that gives us a single view of the data, [plus], we can do better custom offers, promotion, and reaction to gamer feedback.”

The end result will also save EA on data storage costs, resulting in a “positive effect” on digital revenues.

No word just yet on when EA plans to launch the new initiative.

More information is through the link.

1. Hirmetrium

EDIT: I believe @2 is correct.

2. SplatteredHouse

It has been, but this piece has greater detail than the one Brenna wrote. I am not keen to call this one a duplicate. It needn’t be discarded.

3. redwood

dunno if i like this.. cause i will be signing into my psn.. than again into this EA stuff ? or will they bind it with my PSN.. like i can bind my facebook account with my PSN?

4. Stephany Nunneley

Err, sorry about that. I hate dupes, but I honestly searched for a good 15 minutes and never saw Brenna’s post. I will edit it around.

5. Phoenixblight

I assume it will be just like other similiar systems where you log in once via your system and it remembers.

6. Hirmetrium

Sorry Stephany, I wasn’t trying to be patronising. Dupes happen, but 2 is correct, additional/different information is always preferable.

7. redwood

@5 but it will be like having steam and origin on pc.. I just want everything, like all my trophies, to stay in one place. I dont want that EA’s unified-phantasmagorical-log-in-thing keeps it’s trophies in it’s ownself.. and you can only show it to people who have EA games.. (which is rare) but still it’s a PITA..

8. ignoreLander

“…embrace the secular trends….”

What the holy hell is that supposed to mean?

9. nollie4545

Hand EA more of my personal information and let them look at my buying habits?

How about I cut my own foot off with an axe, it sounds much more sensible to me?!

10. redwood

^ oh yeah .. that bit was funny :D

11. Stephany Nunneley

@6 Don’t be sorry! :) I hate dupes. Like I get a bit sick when it happens, so again, don’t be sorry and thanks for the positive feedback. :)

12. Demigod

Great way to kill second hand games to. Even if the console makes allow second hand a disc id code locked to an account == no resale.

13. Deacon