Newscast – Why Tomb Raider’s worth the money

Tuesday, 26th February 2013 13:17 GMT By Patrick Garratt

The Tomb Raider content embargo’s up, so we’re free to chat Lara. Listen to me talk through Crystal Dynamics’ reboot with Brenna and Dave below. You’ll also get to hear my kids slamming doors and shouting in the background as it’s half-term. Double-win.

Tomb Raider releases on March 5 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC. Read Dave’s opinion on the final code and check-out all the review scores.

1. salarta

Okay, as I said in comments in a different article both the Aliens: Colonial Marines coverage and Dave Cook’s Doritosgate article made me realize the site isn’t doing anything ethically or journalistically questionable, but seriously? 6 articles in 2 days?

Combined with how the “get your review scores here” thread STILL isn’t listing the low Machinima review score among all those high numbers, I hope it’s understood why I seriously started to question things about this site.

2. Yoshi

I’ve missed the sound of Pat’s head inside a toilet :’)

3. Patrick Garratt

CAN’T HEAR YOU FOR ALL THE CHILDREN SCREAMING.

4. DSB

THAT’S BECAUSE YOU WON’T LET THEM PLAY MINECRAFT!

5. Patrick Garratt

@4 :-D

6. Patrick Garratt

@1 I’ve added the Machinima score. Considering this is a major reboot to one of the biggest core games of all time, and VG247 is a core gaming site, it’s not hard to see why we’re interested in it. Take your tin foil hat off :-D

7. SplatteredHouse

Question before listening (which I’ll get to after the asking) is: Is our lead in Tomb Raider believable, and is there any kind of progression (ref: turning on a light switch) in the growth of Lara? Or, is this where the points reviews have made about the gameplay and narrative being at odds, most telling?

On the one hand, they want players to be concerned for, and show an interest in the fate of Lara. On the other, though, the combat…Just doesn’t appear to me to “fit”. (another problem, if accurate, that this game’s DNA strand has yet to be rid of)

It reminds me so much of the bollocks that Ubisoft pulled in that regard, in presenting Far Cry 3, where for months, they sold the idea of a care-free holiday-maker and his friends, thrown into a nightmare, forced to adapt in the face of peril. I don’t know about anyone else, but I have yet to find evidence that actually materialised in any meaningful way in the final game.

8. KrazyKraut

you know I like the site, but sometimes you say this and do that.
    The VG247 Team has give all the review copies and all merchandise back to the publisher. The are not allowed to accept free flights to press events and whatever. But here you say why its worth to buy the game?
    I know its hard to express own opinion without having it look like an advert for a game.
    C’mon…dont get pseudo and lets keep your team all the other stuff.

9. Patrick Garratt

@7 Dave’s best to answer that. I haven’t played it.

10. Patrick Garratt

@8 We publish loads of opinion on here. Hopefully the new stuff we’ve put in place means you can better trust us to be independent.

11. Dave Cook

@7 i’d say she feels massive grief after killing her first enemy, but after that she goes a bit mad and becomes desensitised to it. It’s a quick change in that respect, but otherwise it’s handled quite well. She visibly looks worse and worse as the game goes.

12. SplatteredHouse

The one part I have seen of this as far as interacting with (attacking) enemies go, that I do find sound, is the part seen at the very start of Rev3 Games’ review video in which Lara emerges from cover, bellowing out a warning and making herself seem impressive in presence, assert a dominance. That has a basis in reality, and I don’t believe that affects cohesion. I’m starting to think this is the equivalent of someone relieving themselves and advising people to fetch brollies.

13. DSB

Even Tom Chick likes it. He actually says it’s as good as the Batman games.

I wasn’t expecting to really consider buying it, but damn, that hype train has some steam.

14. tmac2011

i already kno this game is worth the money lol look at all the scores they are giving it

15. SplatteredHouse

@16:45 in the ‘cast just made me groan. What about the appeal of the game being strong enough to where people would return to it simply because they enjoyed playing?
    At the start, there was a lot that amounted to ‘it’s very pretty’ for about 4 mins.

“Angel of Darkness was bollocks” The game wasn’t where it needed to be in implementation, but there were parts of that game that I didn’t think were awful. Some of the locations were good. At the time, the story they were telling…Having the thought to remove Lara from her tombs, and finding her somewhere else. Having the character bring her skills to a new environment. A completely new situation. I’m not arguing the point that I quoted, it’s surely the weakest of the franchise, but I do find utter condemnation of that particular TR adventure, puzzling.

and there’s an XP system. Why? Because you can get all sorts of achievements – which relate to the quality and playability of the game how, exactly? As much as I appreciate the free-form discussion here, the title suggests you were going to explain in that fashion, “Why Tomb Raider’s Worth the Money”. And, I just didn’t feel that happened. :(

16. salarta

@6: Thanks for adding the Machinima review.

I understand why staff of the site would be excited for the game even if the story direction of the reboot is disappointing and tragic for the character and the industry as a whole, but at some point when you’re doing so much coverage of one specific game, it starts to look very slanted, and reaches a point where it starts to look and feel less like coverage and more like advertising.

I am NOT saying it’s advertising, I’m saying it starts to feel that way. Again, it goes back to my wondering “Would the site give this much coverage to an average game or one that hasn’t been hyped to hell and back?”

I did a Search for the game just now to see the headlines, and doing so, I realize I actually underestimated the number of articles. Over the past 2 days, there have actually been 8 articles, not 6, specifically about this new Tomb Raider. My original reason for doing that search was to mention how several could have easily been lumped in with existing articles, but that seems like a moot point with the sheer number of articles. My experience has been that usually, a news site will only have 2 or 3 news articles about a specific game around the time of release, then week-long gaps. Here, there’s a flood of them.

It’s less “tinfoil hat” and more “dear lord this is starting to feel like more saturation than Guitar Hero.” Though in the case of Tomb Raider, it would be very easy for paranoid people to get paranoid; the company has gone crazy with PR and advertising, so a site putting out this much coverage at once starts to feel like an extension of that.

Then again, I’m obviously biased against this game, as I was with DmC, and I can’t say with certainty that I would react the same way to something I love getting the same treatment even though I would like to think I would be fair-minded enough to do so.

17. salarta

@11: Ugh… it sounds like even the issue of trauma and reaction to it isn’t handled very well here. I’m not saying that as someone against the reboot in this case, I’m saying it as someone that cares about those kind of stories a lot. It looks like I would probably be annoyed by the sudden shift in this story even if it was a brand new IP.

I won’t linger on it because doing so would lead to lines of discussion I do not want to enter. At least, not with this game anyway. Everyone loves this game as a supposed reboot of Tomb Raider, so any deeper discussion of the subject at least as far as anything I have to say amounts to nothing. I’ll save it for when a brand new IP comes out that focuses on these issues, then the matter can be discussed without all this bias (from all sides including myself) flying around.

18. Dave Cook

@15 the XP is spent on new perks for Lara, such as increased gun accuracy, bonus salvage from caches and more axe combos.

19. SplatteredHouse

Sorry, Dave. I forgot about the perks! Caches, yes. I go through the “tomb”, merrily raiding, at the end of which is found a chest containing…the magnificent artifact of LARGE XP-GET!

20. Gheritt White

@16 & 17: “I understand why staff of the site would be excited for the game even if the story direction of the reboot is disappointing and tragic for the character and the industry as a whole.

Buddy, it’s clear that the only person here with an agenda is YOU.

21. Dave Cook

@19 What’s wrong with that dude? It beats pointless collectibles with no purpose :)

22. SplatteredHouse

@21 It’s the sort of thing that I would not begrudge out of a no-budget, low hype import f2p game. If that level of interest in the game is what I’m being asked to pay for, and there isn’t ample regard for the experience been paid, and if they proceed to sell one thing while delivering another; then, I find that in a premium product to be disheartening, and I consider whether I want to buy “into” more of the same.

23. salarta

@20: Meant to add “at least in my opinion” to the sentence you bolded, forgot to do so, sorry about that.

24. SplatteredHouse

@23 Frankly, you really shouldn’t have to. You expressed your opinion while not claiming to speak for anyone else. Let’s keep the “imo”s out of it.

25. Gheritt White

@23: Well, it doesn’t change anything. You’re essentially admitting that your own preconceived notions about the game have coloured all your opinions, while still insinuating surreptitious bias on behalf of the site.

Clearly you’re not qualified to make a judgement call in this instance and so your opinion is both invalid and worthless because you’re actively looking for the game to fail.

If there had been numerous articles slamming the game or saying it’s shit, you’d probably all of them and lapping it up. But Good Game Is Gooood (allegedly) so you’re getting all butthurt about it because that’s not the outcome you wanted.

I just have a problem with people actively desiring projects like this one fail. I think that’s a weak, pathetic and dishonourable attitude.

26. salarta

@24: I wish that were the case, that I could leave out statements like “in my opinion” when I think it should be obvious, but it seems like everything has to be as explicitly stated as much as possible no matter where you go. I have a bad habit of slipping up and not being explicit enough with that sort of thing.

I’m also used to having things I say twisted into completely different, horrible and insulting implications. I’ve even had a couple cases where people sincerely said they wished I was dead, including one gem where the guy said he wished my family had been in Nazi Germany and killed during the Holocaust. That one was because at the time, I was complaining a lot about FF13 straying too far from the soul of the Final Fantasy series. That’s not happening here, people on this site have actually been very civil, and you generally don’t have to worry that some psycho is going to trace your IP and try to hurt you over an opinion on the internet when you’re behind a pseudonym.

I guess what I’m getting at there is that what you say and how you say it, including whether or not you include words that seem like they should be understood without being spoken, can be a big deal on the internet where you have only text to go by. I’m just bad at doing it right in a lot of cases.

27. Gnosis

@26: You know, I’m pretty sure nobody would mind your opinion, if it wasn’t that obtrusive. You don’t like it. It’s fine. We got it.

28. salarta

@27: I think that’s the main reason those people I referred to had the reactions I mentioned; not that I said something they didn’t like, but that I said something they didn’t like as much as I did. If you simply say something people disagree with only once, they’re fine, and if you constantly say something they agree with completely, they’re fine then too. It’s when they see statements they dislike constantly that they get agitated.

And I guess I’m really no better at the moment, since I’ve been reacting the same way to this game plastered everywhere the eye can see. You can’t go anywhere having anything even remotely to do with any form of media without running into huge ads for this game. I went to IMDB just this morning while talking about films with someone, and there was an ad for this game, covering the whole background of the site.

I hope some people here can understand at least a little bit why I would become so obtrusive about my views on this game when I literally cannot escape having it thrust in my face everywhere I turn, while all they have to put up with is one guy’s comments in a few articles of only one website. They only have to see me disliking the game in the comments section here; I have to see everyone praising and promoting it to the heavens everywhere I go all day for months. There’s a disparity in how a loved game can have everyone talking up its supposed greatness and hated games can have nonstop bashing, and it’s perfectly fine for those people to constantly and repeatedly harp on the status quo opinion, but the dissenter is required to stay silent because “We’ve heard it already, we got it, go away.”

29. OrbitMonkey

Its a universal truth, that the less a nerd likes something , the more they’ll talk about it.

30. Gnosis

@28: Aaaaand this is surprising because?.. ~ Srsly, the math is quite simple: if many ppl like a game, then the chances are good that there’s an actual reason why they like it. Same goes if many ppl don’t like a game and bash it. If it’s only one person… yeah, the credibility drops. Especially if this person hasn’t even tried this game yet and dislikes it apparently only because of his personal preferences. See where I’m coming from?

And besides, even if a game sucks and everyone’s bashing it… at some point it just gets annoying. Because of the same reasons. Yeah, it’s bad. We got it.

31. salarta

@30: I haven’t said that the game on its own merits is bad, I’ve said that I felt it’s bad for the IP and character and would have been much more appropriate as a brand new IP. I might have liked it if it wasn’t hijacking Tomb Raider and Lara Croft to tell a story that I feel doesn’t fit.

However, I’ve also said that I’m trying to make myself come to terms with the future of the industry and how the perception of women has changed as demonstrated by this game. I’ve been trying to force myself into changing my views to being as sexist as this game looks to me (not that the team intends it to be that way), but it’s not really taking a firm hold because it goes against my nature. I feel like I’m beating myself up when I try to be that way. It’s more confusing for me because I had just a few weeks back complained to someone else about his making formerly strong female protagonists out to be scared, fragile sluts (the nature of his work + his own terms for them) in stuff he’s done due to the rebooted versions of those characters, and now I’m left feeling like I had no right to complain because he was just going by what people want these days.

I think I’m going to shut up now, these are getting increasingly personal to where I’m starting to regret making the comments.

32. YoungZer0

“that I feel doesn’t fit.”

But haven’t you said that the last Tomb Raider you played was the first one? So who are you to say that it doesn’t fit?

33. manamana

Who’s reading all those long comments? Buy it, rent it or leave it. Is you videogamerz or what? ;-)

34. mikaroni

I disagree! Even the commercials couldn’t make this horrible game look interesting and non-buggy.

-designing websites for you at msProwebsites.com, amazing web designer

35. manamana