“It’s more important to see what the damn thing does”: Sony responds to lack of PS4 hardware

Tuesday, 26th February 2013 10:25 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony unveiled its PS4 strategy last week, but didn’t actually show off the box itself. It’s irrelevant, PlayStation UK managing director Fergal Gara has suggested.

Speaking with VideoGamer, Gara said “It’s much more important to see what the damn thing does. The shiniest piece of black, green or purple plastic ever, you know, whatever, so what? It’s not the most important thing.”

What do you think? Does seeing the box itself really matter, or is Gara right? Let us know below.

Meanwhile, a red-faced Sony has whittled down its list of European third-party developers down from 58 to 30, with many studios saying they were included in error. Whoops.

Thanks Joystiq.

1. stevenhiggster

He’s right, but it would still have been an idea to at least show a picture of what it might look like.
    Judging by some of the internet idiocy all Microsoft need to do to won this war is actually show a console!
    I personally don’t give a rats ass what it looks like as long as the games are awesome.

#1 1 year ago
  2. _LarZen_

Fergal Gara is right, and Sony did the smart thing. Now everyone is talking about the PS4 and wondering what it will look like.

The tension will just build up inn till it will be shown at E3.

I can understand people wanting to see the design, but it’s just some plastic…it’s not like you are going to stare and hold the console in your hands.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Joe Musashi

When I play videogames I never look at the screen. My gaze is fixed squarely on the console. True story.

JM

#3 1 year ago
  4. manamana

He is certainly right, though for the masses out there, they need a box to see what to buy. They will show it at E3, I guess.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Nakorson

He’s right i pretty much don’t care how the actual console will look like. I’m sure Sony will be able to make a box that doesn’t look completely shitty next to your TV, i trust them to be able to that.
    It’s way more important for me what the thing can do. And I’m quite shocked why so many people complain that the console wasn’t shown itself and that therefor Sony failed with the press event.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Samoan Spider

He’s right, but the readers of any site that covered the PS Meeting, and later on will cover E3 are not the main consumer here. We aren’t the impulse buyers, or the birthday/xmas pressie buyers, or the CoD/Fifa only players. We aren’t the majority. The people that will make up the millions of shifted units will actually buy it based on what it looks like just as much as what its capable of. Some people need to try and take a step back and realise that as the ‘hardcore’ gamers, we’re a minority.

#6 1 year ago
  7. redwood

waiting for erth to show up … and no seeing the box does not matter. Sony just needs to keep backing up there claims with more solid services, and even better game, we have just seen games from SP and guirella, both are good developers but imagine what david cage, naughty dog, and the santa monica guys will do this time around :D .. *excited*

#7 1 year ago
  8. Fin

“We aren’t the majority”
    “we’re a minority”

Truer words have never been spoken, fuckin massive +1 to you man.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SplatteredHouse

As right as Fergal may be, they don’t yet have a focus that people can point to and say ‘I want one of those
    They have that can be advertised, a concept, which will be able to play the next Killzone, PS4′s Kameo, a detailed, social car game, something from MM, and a Myst-esque puzzle solving adventure game. All tangled up in a wispy cloud of Gaikai.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Erthazus

Sony is in damage control.

by the end of the day I’m going to buy this console (If I will buy it of course) and I must see a product or GTFO. It’s important at the same time as revealing specs.

#10 1 year ago
  11. ps3fanboy

He’s right it is most important to see what the ps4 can do not what it look likes. we also know who whine the most because they didn’t see the ps4. its the xbox fanboys, if they don’t see the ps4 they cant do their trolling.. so its a smart move by sony to wait with the showing at e3.

#11 1 year ago
  12. redwood

I don’t think that sony was actually showing it off for the general public at the PS meeting, that meeting was for a) the fans b) devs. and if you see closely it was specifically to get more and more devs on board.AND to snatch the core-gamer from microsoft. so yes we are the minortiy but sony hasn’t started catering to the majority. when you see the ps4 ad campaign pop-up than you can say that , yes now they are trying to talk to the impulse buyer.

#12 1 year ago
  13. monkeygourmet

It’s because they haven’t figured out a way of cramming all the DDR5 Memory into a small enough box yet.

#13 1 year ago
  14. dravenkaze

Woo Sony

#14 1 year ago
  15. Fin

Preeetty sure Erthazus actually loves everything he complains about

Diablo III
    Calls it mediocre
    Plays 600 hours

Black Ops
    Calls it shitty sub hd quake 3 engine shit
    Plays 500 hours

PS4
    Says its just a pc that can’t compare to his rig running Crysis 3 at 60fps 2560×1600 ultra setttings
    Buys anyway

#15 1 year ago
  16. Erthazus

@15, Preeety sure you are a tard that complains about everything and Nintendo.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Gadzooks!

My consoles are pushed back slightly under the TV. I don’t want to see them.

I want to see games and the controller, which is exactly what Sony showed.

When someone goes to a store to buy a PS4 they will ask for a PS4, not “The sharp-edged, oblong black box with the blue light to the right and drive slot on the left.”

Sony absolutely showed all the right things, and nothing extraneous to cloud the message.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Ekona

Imagine if Apple launched the next iPad, and had a massive glitzy show telling us all these wonderful things it can do, all the specs, everything except showing us the actual iPad itself. I suspect that probably wouldn’t go down very well.

I know I’ve pushed the limits of the analogy a bit, but it’s still a valid point I feel. To desire an object you need to see an object, not just the theory behind it.

#18 1 year ago
  19. CyberMarco

^ Actually the Ipad itself is the whole product, which you use for surfing, gaming, media etc. The console itself (as a plastic box I mean) in the other hand doesn’t count much towards the product’s usefulness.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Samoan Spider

@18 Yup, modern consumerism is led by shiny things so the analogy stands imo.

I know there’s plenty of balanced opinions but just to put things in perspective for the rabid fanbois that keep popping up, lets overestimate and say there’s 5 million of you all over the world that comment in PS’s favour all the time and buy everything Sony offers. The PS3 sold 77 million up to the close of last year. You suddenly aren’t very important to Sony right? I mean, you must see that. Same is true of MS aswell, don’t get me wrong, but try and see the other side of the coin for once.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DrDamn

That’s fine but it also needs to be in context. This initial announcement is 9 months in advance of people being able to buy it. That’s not something Apple ever does. They announce and release very close to each other.

It’s not like Sony are never going to show what it looks like until it’s in stores either. From here it’s about focus, attention and momentum. A reveal of the design is something they can use at a later date to help maintain those things.

#21 1 year ago
  22. livewired500

Well, they are creating a buzz about this. However, I think it can backfire on them. Since they didn’t show the actual system, people will start to get an image of it in their own mind. If the box doesn’t live up to people’s imagination, then it might take on extra criticism. It was a bit of a gamble not to show it. We will see if it pays off.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Sanwiches

“If the box doesn’t live up to people’s imagination, then it might take on extra criticism ”

whaaaaaaaaaaaat? it’s not going to be a cardboard box and seriously the look of it totally doesn’t matter. It’s gonna have a disc-tray and some lights in front of it, with a power button and whateves.

Non-issue and people are annoying with this subject.

#23 1 year ago
  24. YoungZer0

It can’t be uglier than the PS3, so they can only win in this situation.

#24 1 year ago
  25. xxJPRACERxx

They need to show something at e3. If they show everything now there would be no surprise in June.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Dragon246

It really wasn’t necessary to show it. Moreover, as they said, it just wasn’t ready to be shown as it wasn’t finalised.
    They just wanted to create a buzz, and they did that.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Bill_E_Talent

@16 I’m not planning to buy PS4. I’m planning to buy Steambox (if that gets released at all) so GTFO.

If you’ve already got a powerful PC and access to Big Screen Mode, WTF is the point of owning a Steambox? For the non-existent exclusives??

#27 1 year ago
  28. Rafa_L

I think it’s nice to see how the console looks, but not really that important, it’s merely an intermediator between me and the experience.

#28 1 year ago