PS4: will the next-gen start when Microsoft says it does?

Monday, 25th February 2013 13:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Xbox’s next-gen aspirations were dealt a bloody nose by Sony in New York last week: everyone’s talking about PlayStation 4. Going first works, says Patrick Garratt, and Microsoft has missed a great opportunity.

PS4 is real. Microsoft can claim irrelevance, but the next generation has started. Sony said so. And Microsoft did not.

“We’ve got a year to sell as many of these things as possible.”

Two Xbox bosses bellowed at each other in the aftermath of 360′s Games Convention press conference in 2005. The atmosphere crackled with “go”. Xbox 360 was to beat PlayStation 3 to market and Microsoft knew it had sledgehammered its way into the console industry’s executive bathroom. Chests were puffed. Sony was stuffed. Microsoft benefited greatly from an early Xbox 360 release, especially in America. You have no competition if you’re the only option available.

The same can be applied to mind-share. Going first works.

Commentators call it “first-mover advantage” for a reason. Microsoft’s strategy left Sony in front of a wincing crowd the following year, where it was forced to claim that “the next-generation doesn’t start until we say it does.” It was one of the most ridiculous statements in gaming’s last decade. Microsoft said nothing. It just started.

What a difference a generation makes.

Microsoft exec John Grimes belittled the Sony reveal the week before it happened, saying the “majority of UK consumers won’t know” about PlayStation 4 as a result. This was as puerile as Hirai’s damage control in 2006. PlayStation 4 was front-featured by every news organisation in the world. Everyone knows. Sony grasped the opportunity to own the first real news of next-gen games hardware in six years and the world dropped its pants. We didn’t even see the box.

Broken nose

While PlayStation 4′s reveal in New York last week has been just as often criticised for its lack of creativity as it has been praised for its solidity, there’s an inescapable fact related to the entire shebang: we’re all talking about PlayStation 4. Microsoft is now left with everything to prove at its reveal event – supposedly being planned for April – and right now the concept of the next-generation in 2013 belongs to Sony. If this is round one, Microsoft just got its nose spread all over its cheek.

To add insult to Microsoft’s injuries, fresh rumours are circulating regarding Durango’s spec. Apparently the machine is woefully underpowered compared to PS4, with some now saying they don’t expect Microsoft to even talk raw tech when it announces the machine. Conversely, Sony’s finding it easy to shrug off its reputation for creating expensive, obtuse hardware, with PlayStation 4 being a powerful, cheap console that’s easy to work with; exactly the strategy Microsoft used to launch Xbox 360.

Also consider that Sony held its reveal event in New York, not Japan. Guerrilla boss Herman Hulst turned up on Fallon immediately after the show, playing one of the best-looking console games ever created and talking about track-pads and Share buttons. Talking about PlayStation 4. In front of millions of Americans. The next-gen Xbox will be invisible to the US for months.

If the Xbox execs aren’t cringing then they’re foolish indeed. While Nelson’s been forced to resort to slagging Sony off on Twitter, we’re finally starting to see publishers make next-generation announcements, announcements of which Nextbox (we don’t even know its name) currently plays no public role. There was a boat. There was only one boat. And Microsoft missed it.

The Xbox team, no doubt, will have much to say in April. We will see Phil Harrison on stage for the first time extolling the virtues of a Microsoft platform, and we’re sure to see some attractive software. But right now the only future platform is PS4. At this moment, Sony owns the next round.

Will the next-gen start when Microsoft says it does? That we can even ask the question represents one hell of a risk on Microsoft’s part.

1. harr0w

Wait a second I’m pretty sure they only revealed first let’s see who launches first. ?

#1 1 year ago
  2. woe

From what i am hearing over on Gaf that the specs of the leaked Durango are almost year old.

#2 1 year ago
  3. manamana

I’m glad you wrote it down Patrick. Exactly my thoughts. And I hope that Microsoft has more than exclusive DLCs or timed exclusives to show. They really need to rock the boat on the games departement.

#3 1 year ago
  4. slayernl

I think most Uk and EU core gamers question will be if MS focuses on the services that we will not get, why would you get a new xbox if you live in Europe?
    If its about the games and they are good enough I’ll consider buying an nextbox.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Zeydlitz

Well, for microsoft, there is an easy way to beat sony: if they made new console with a DESCENT CPU. Then sony device would be epic fail.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dragon246

Amazing, MS in a stupid move, started a timer for E3 (by nelson). Hirai bluffed that they they would allow MS to go first by giving the silliest of reasons. Looks like MS took that bluff at face value.
    Moreover, Sony seems to put Gamers at the forefront for PS4, not the multimedia crowd. If MS shows Kinect 2 and Just Dance 5 at the ceremony for more than 5 minutes, they have lost me there and then.
    Sony should be applauded for keeping multimedia and move things to a minimum.
    We should also not forget that MS can spend much more in marketing than Sony, so this added time helps Sony immensely to let PS4 get more exposure than 720.
    Very Well played Sony indeed.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Night Hunter

@4: my thoughts exactly. I’ve been with Microsoft from the beginning, but if they do not bring the thunder games wise instead of sticking to services I might just jump ship.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gadzooks!

Why bother with all the words? Why not just write “Sony 4eva. Fugg yoo Microshaft!”

Would have achieved the same level of baiting.

1/10

#8 1 year ago
  9. Patrick Garratt

@8 – God. I remember now. I is bias.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Gadzooks!

#9

I’m not saying you are biased, but the article is exceptionally badly worded.

#10 1 year ago
  11. alimokrane

Wow at this article, fanboy much? Good God, the way you are jumping to conclusions is laughable, honestly.

MS has ONE problem next generation, they need to show THE GAMES! if they fail to do that, then that’s the reason they will fail not because Sony announced its next gen console first.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Patrick Garratt

@10 – You’re entitled to your opinion, my friend. Thanks for reading!

#12 1 year ago
  13. alimokrane

@Patrick Garratt

I meant what I said. There is a way of putting your arguments forward without sounding biased. Sadly, this was not the case for this article, it comes off very biased.

#13 1 year ago
  14. mistermogul

Pat this article is a bit much isn’t it?

You think you’re getting a bit carried away here old boy?

@13 – Agreed

#14 1 year ago
  15. Gadzooks!

#12

/Winner

Calm down dear it’s only an opinion.

Your stuff is usually good. I happen to think this article isnt up to your usual standard.

#15 1 year ago
  16. stevenhiggster

For me its all about the exclusives, and Sony have always had the exclusives that I’m interested in. As an old Playstation fanboy, it doesn’t matter one bit to me what microsoft bring to the table, the only next gen console I’ve ever been interested in is the PS4.
    I’m sure there are many Xbox owners who feel exactly the same way, but the other way round obviously :)

#16 1 year ago
  17. Joe Musashi

Whilst I do think there’s a fair chunk of dramatisation in the article, the sentiment concerning mindshare is one I agree with.

Announcing second can be percieved as ‘responding’ to whatever the competition announced first. Following rather than leading.

I don’t think it’s the be all and end all. Even releasing first, whilst giving an advantage early on, doesn’t guarantee meaningful numbers.

Personally I’m more interested in the partnerships and services than the silicon. Great developers will always do great things regardless of hardware. I say this as someone who still admires how some C64 games push their host to extremes.

If the gaming experienced is enhanced by good partnerships and meaningful services (and hopefully not stifled by them) then that could be what tips the scales.

I am very interested to see how Gaikai develops. Whilst there are many unknowns it is a strong card to have in your deck, versatile and likely to become stronger as digital becomes increasingly common. I am keen to see what alternatives to the promise of Gaikai may appear.

JM

#17 1 year ago
  18. Dragon246

@Pat,
    Remember that bribe Sony gave you to piss on MS and its fanboys :P

#18 1 year ago
  19. Eregol

‘with PlayStation 4 being a powerful, cheap console’

We will see about this. 8GB of GDDR5 isn’t going to be cheap. I’m not sure how Sony can shoehorn all that in and keep the costs down to the rumoured £300.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Patrick Garratt

You’re biased not matter what you say about this stuff. I’ll be an “Xbot” too, no doubt.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Cobra951

The next generation starts when the next-generation products hit the market in mass quantities, not one day before. The advance press looks better for Sony at this point, to be sure. They’d best keep up that momentum, because the tide can turn in a hurry between now and actual release.

#21 1 year ago
  22. mistermogul

@16 – Yeah the way I’m thinking right now is that Sony’s exclusives are gonna win me over next gen. The only franchises I’ll miss will be Forza and PGR (both of which I prefer to GT), though Fable, Gears and Halo I’m not bothered about.

MS need to kill it to win my money next gen…

#22 1 year ago
  23. fightclubdoll

Sony may have asked us to the dance first, but I think Microsoft will prove the better dancer.

In my opinion, Sony’s “reveal” left a lot to be desired. Microsoft has a great chance to capitalize on that, and I expect the 720 reveal to outshine the one we were given by Sony.

Shouting the fastest or loudest does not compensate for being ill-prepared. Every day before Sony’s event was full of “ifs” and “maybes” … and every day since has been full of too much of the same.

I’m not yet sold on PS4.

#23 1 year ago
  24. harr0w

Microsoft will simply have to drop a megaton of realtime game footage and exclusives, finished with we will be first to market boom. Or something along thoughs lines

#24 1 year ago
  25. Erthazus

Fact is. I disliked Sony’s conference, but they did it. Everyone right now talks about PS4 and Major Nelson and Microsoft is in damage control right now.
    In my opinion sony’s conference lacked a lot of details and reveals but their hands feel free right now and they can give dev kits and other stuff to devs and start developing stuff for the next gen consoles without any issue that “something” “somewhere” is going to be leaked.

But Shmony COULD SHOW THE BOX, YA’ KNOW?

and decent demo, not some PS4 games that will be on PS3. Or killzone:SF that looks a bit better then PS3 games.

@Gadzooks, your ass hurts whenever Sony does something and MS doesn’t. Chill out bro. Go to forums and talk about how Sony copied kinect and that sony games sucks and so on. Xbox fanboy favourite thing these days. Chill out.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Grey Wolf

I just want a Box to play games – no social-apps, no tv, no merchandising! Just enough power to play the most beautiful games. I like my 360 but MS will have to do a lot… If it is not enough I will buy a PS4.

@Pat: Nice post – people talk about it and that’s the way it should be :)

#26 1 year ago
  27. Cobra951

@26: If MS keep pushing Kinect, social crap and media over real games, they will definitely lose me next gen.

#27 1 year ago
  28. xXNapsterManXx

I like the Ps3 specs and ideals of gamer first but I hate that controller please I hope a cascaded thumb stick 3rd party controller becomes available. Right now as long as NextBox has comparable specs I’m all over Xbox maybe a year or two down the road I’ll get a ps4

#28 1 year ago
  29. woe

Erthazus MS PR might be mouthy now but what about all those other times Sony crapped talked about Nintendo and Microsoft?

#29 1 year ago
  30. Mike

The Sony presser was hot air and loose future target projections. Remember how PS3 would run two games on two different screens? Remember all the USB hubs? Remember the power of Cell tech? Remember SIXAXIS and how no-one needed Rumble any more?

Now re-watch the PS4 presser and see about “playing demos on the fly”, “insta-Share”, “social media integration” and the “hopes” and “visions” of developers for the “possible future” and “direction” that they “believe they can” take PS4 in.

Now ask yourself how many, if any, of those “features” will actually make it. Ask yourself why Killzone 4 was a scripted sequence with no freedom whatsoever. Ask yourself why developers weren’t more concrete. ASk yourself why you only saw target renders when the console is apparently due out this year.

Ask yourself if you’re going to be taken for a fool again.

Then watch the MS presser and ask yourself the same questions.

Then offer up an opinion.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Blade247

ah, so Sony bloodied MS’ nose huh? Pretty sure MS has mounted and grounded and pounded Sony for the last 8 yrs. Remember Sony had a monster lead w the PS2? The 360 ate their breakfast, lunch and went back for dinner. So they had to do something, but it was a rather lackluster reveal. Sharing? haha come on.

I bought both the 360 and the PS3. PS3 hasnt been touched since 2008.

And the guy that wrote this #9? Total fanboy, prob wrote this wearing his PS4 Tshirt.

#31 1 year ago
  32. The_Deleted

The thing is, if Microsoft do show us the games it will consist of Driving, shooting and Dancing. Possibly all in the same game!
    I fucked M$ off this gen, they released noth of worth as far as Exclusives go and their online service is so outdated regarding pay to play I do wonder why people still fork out for it.
    I am a SONY fanboy, I’ll admit it, but only cus SONY fucking earned it!

#32 1 year ago
  33. G1GAHURTZ

“mind-share”? This is a flawed concept.

How many times on a talent show does the last performer win?

Frequently.

There are months and months to go before the supposed launches. Almost everyone gave the PS4 reveal a thumbs up, but not much more.

MS now have two whole months before the rumoured 720 launch to make sure that they steal the show with a winning performance.

It’s not about who reveals first, or WiiUs would be flying off the shelf.

I still think E3 is very relevant here. It should be a chance for people to analyse the new consoles side by side on the biggest stage before release.

#33 1 year ago
  34. salarta

I find it a little funny that nobody considers the Wii U to be part of the next console generation despite it being a new system in its own right. That’s not a complaint, just an amusing observation.

Aside from that, a quick glance at the comments seems like most people are being fanboys about the whole subject, so nothing to add. :)

#34 1 year ago
  35. daytripper

@32 Why be a fanboy? You just get laughed at and rightly so, fanboys are child mentalities

#35 1 year ago
  36. G1GAHURTZ

@34:

You’re right. Wii U is seen as being irrelevant now. I thought that it would at least have the headlines until E3, but it’s already flopped (in the US, at least).

This completely disproves the idea that Pat is presenting, which is that going first, ‘wins you the round’.

Nintendo went first, and they’ve practically been TKO’d without a punch being thrown.

#36 1 year ago
  37. woe

The_Deleted Driving, Shooting and Dancing was shown off at Sonys press conference

#37 1 year ago
  38. ps4fanboy

PS4 FTW!

#38 1 year ago
  39. Dragon246

@36,
    So its Second-mover advantage. But I don’t know, looks like the first mover didn’t even existed :)

#39 1 year ago
  40. mistermogul

@30 – “Ask yourself if you’re going to be taken for a fool again.”

Very good point and Sony’s past corporate crap is the reason why I’m taking everything they say with a pinch of salt.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Joe Musashi

For what it’s worth, I always regard ‘announce’ presentations to be aspirational and vacuous for the most part. This is true of so many tech announcements – whether it’s a console, a phone or some other gadget.

Expecting a box, date, price, range of colours and every other bit of minute detail isn’t what an announce is about at all. All those details come later. Usually those reality bites eat into the aspirational stuff and chip away at the initial enthusiasm. But reality has a habit of doing that to most things.

I suspect, however, that if what is presented at an announce conference doesn’t float your boat, the details that come in the weeks and months that follow won’t do much for you either.

In that regard, these companies have to get you on board as soon as possible. To present their most pie-in-the-sky aspirations and sell you the dream over the product (I felt Nintendo did this extremely well with the Wii). That mindshare really is important.

JM

#41 1 year ago
  42. G1GAHURTZ

@39:

The thing is, it doesn’t really matter when a console is released/revealed.

People aren’t buying Wii Us, because it’s blatantly obvious that the PS4 and 720 are lined up to be better consoles.

The concept is simple. People go for the one that they like the most. Not the one that comes first.

If MS come with a new super amazing technology, then Sony going first will have meant nothing.

Likewise, if MS comes with something weak and uninspiring, then, just as with the Wii U, they would almost certainly have already lost, even if they had revealed first.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Erthazus

Stupid Xbox fanboys are in damage control right now. How funny.

Don’t worry, your Halo and Call Of duty map packs won’t go away. You can eat that shit up as much as you want.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Malmer

One shouldn’t underestimate the power of the “multimedia features” part of a console. There is no contradiction between a gaming console and a multimedia console. To satisfy the game crowd is fairly easy and straightforward in terms of hardware features.

One can have the additional features without it canabalizing the games aspect of a console. Sony saying that it will be games focused really doesn’t mean that the “nextbox” will fail in that aspect even though it probably focus on other things aswell.

Having an open app store with apps that works seamlessly with Windows 8 (write once, deploy everywhere) then they could have quite a strong contender in the race. Without sacrificing the games aspect. If they don’t do that then they are stupid and apple will come out with something for the appletv that will eat that part of the market.

Also, price pays a huge role. The cheapest console of the two will probably “win” considering they will probably be quite similiary speced, with an edge to the PS4. Also, release date matters. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Xbox launches before the PS4 in europe.

Me, I’ve prebooked both until i know more. It’s a hard choice…David Cage or Alan Wake? Nathan Drake or Master Chief? We’ll see how it looks in the coming months.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Mike

When Apple reveal their new phone/iPad – they show you what it can do, when it will be released, what it looks like and how much it will cost. They also spout an amazing amount of other bullshit but you know what you’re getting Day One.

#45 1 year ago
  46. G1GAHURTZ

But Apple do usually reveal about 2-4 weeks before release. There is still a lot of time to go until the expected launch date, so Sony should still have time to remove features reveal more info.

#46 1 year ago
  47. DrDamn

“Ask yourself why Killzone 4 was a scripted sequence with no freedom whatsoever.”

That was played on US TV by other people doing what they wanted? I think Killzone 4 whilst not offering up much in the way of gameplay additions was a great example of how Sony have changed. Killzone 2 was pre-rendered video when first shown, and then took 2 years+ to try and live up to that target render. Killzone 4 was realtime, played out in front of you and looked very nice too.

If you look at the press stuff Sony is being pretty clear and realistic about the features they expect to have ready and what is part of the vision too.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Joe Musashi

Apple announces are of releases that are of iterative hardware with relatively minor, incremental changes. Many of their changes are in software anyway.

True Apple ‘new gen’ product announcements, of which there have been many over the decades, differ considerably from the iterative products they are now known for.

JM

#48 1 year ago
  49. ysleiro

Let me put it to you this way VG247.

The article you quoted when you said “woefully underpowered compared to PS4″ the article you linked said the PS4 would have 4GB or RAM.

How does one trust the whole “PS4 50% more computational power” statement after seeing your source be wrong regarding the RAM?

#49 1 year ago
  50. Marabyte

If the rumors about the next xbox are at least half right (and they were pretty right about PS4), Microsoft will launch an x86 console as well.
    Most likely the same CPU inside PS4 minus/plus some optimizations.

I would agree with you if we were talking about last generation.

Last time around things were a bit different, the consoles architecture were very different and somehow new (for Sony at least). Doing big improvements in short notice was much more complicated.

But then again, in the end it didn’t matter. PS3 has more raw power yet it didn’t sold more than xbox 360, and games weren’t/aren’t much more beautiful. That raw power was hard to tap because the development tools for Cell are a nightmare.

There were some issues with PS4 announcement.
    No launch date. This holidays? Early 2014?
    Why weren’t any demo units on stage? Is the development still ongoing and they don’t have anything to show? I don’t know much about product development but can this be a sign that if the launch date is this holidays availability will be an issue?
    What about price?

So, yeah. Sony has everyone talking about PS4 but at this point no one other than some extreme fanboys will make a decision now to buy PS4 in a untold date at a unknown price.

If Microsoft wants to match PS4, specs aren’t the real issue.
    x86 + DX11 is Microsoft comfort zone. They’ve been doing this for decades. And, again if word on the street is right, their next console will be an highly optimized PC. x86 CPU, DX11 GPU, DDR3, most likely running a shaved version of Windows 8.
    If a game developer knows how to code a Windows PC game they will be at home with nextgen Xbox.

So, more than hardware specs what I want to hear from Microsoft is that they will start to treat Europe’s gamers the same way they treat North American’s gamers. It’s only fair since we pay the same for a live Gold account and receive far less.

#50 1 year ago
  51. JonFE

@G1GA:

I saw what you did there 8)

#51 1 year ago
  52. DrDamn

“If this is true, Microsoft can squeeze an extra MHz to match or top PS4 raw power. The same goes for the GPU. And they now have 2 months to do it.”

Squeeze an extra MHz? It’s really not that simple.

MS would have been well aware of the PS4 specs (bar maybe the upping of the memory to 8Gb) – same as Sony would have been well aware of the NextBox specs. They will set their machines based on cost and target price they want to sell at. They can’t react quickly to much at this late stage. Upping memory is one of the few changes which would be possible.

Squeezing more MHz out of an existing design is potentially heading towards higher failure rates, lower yields, higher power consumption etc.

#52 1 year ago
  53. grimreaper615289

@17 You are right it will be very interesting to see how Gaikai develops if they blow it out of the water Microsoft could be left trying to pick up the pieces for years to come just to get on equal footing.

#53 1 year ago
  54. grimreaper615289

@52 Microsoft is backed into a corner if there specs are what the dev kits say they are. They could potentially have another red ring of death on there hands if they have to push the specs up to much on there dev kits.

#54 1 year ago
  55. DrDamn

They may just be perfectly happy with what they’ve produced too though. They may have something up their sleeve which will give them a different edge, we’ll have to wait and see. Going to be interesting anyway.

#55 1 year ago
  56. grimreaper615289

@55 It will be interesting I have always been a Sony guy first and then adopted other consoles later. Unless Microsoft truly blows me out of the water it will probably stay that way. Microsoft can only really screw up if specs are really underwhelming and they focus too much on Kinect. The developers will come and with there massive cash pile they will still get the timed exclusive DLC.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Erthazus

“Squeeze an extra MHz”

Console is not a PC where you can overclock it.

and Direct X11 is not an advantage at all. Sony can make a similar tech for each their game that is on par with it without any issue.

x86 is x86.

War has started, it’s not PS3 vs 360 vs PC. It’s PC vs PC vs PC. :D

#57 1 year ago
  58. Gadzooks!

#52

Changing the memory was not the nontrivial task you make it sound due to the available module sizes. I think the EG article touched on it.

Upping clock speeds is far, far easier. Not very likely though. As you say, they would be pushing reliability tolerances.

#58 1 year ago
  59. ysleiro

@57 Are you telling me that if they are using the same chip they can’t match the clock speed?

Direct X11 is an advantage since it’s common between PC development and console development. This should drive development costs down and could further enable a developer to spend more time optimizing code.

#59 1 year ago
  60. Erthazus

“Direct X11 is an advantage since it’s common between PC development and console development. ”

LOL. Are you seriously a moron? Direct X 11 is just an API. For your info, PS3 does not had direct X9 at all compared to Xbox 360, in fact exclusives and even some multiplatform titles looked better on the PS3 when development was on par.

Direct X11 is just a tool and nothing more. It does not give any advantage to a console at all because development goes through a dev kit that has certain requirements.

Nothing new. This was done in the past.

“Are you telling me that if they are using the same chip they can’t match the clock speed?”

So you already know what Microsoft or Sony is using as their main CPU? LOL?

Btw, according to leaks, Xbox 720 CPU is weaker then on the PS4. Go figure.

#60 1 year ago
  61. Eregol

@49 Pretty much everyone got that wrong, not just VG247′s source.
    If reports are to be believed, this was a change that Sony adopted not too long before the full reveal. Or maybe they purposely leaked lower specs to catch MS on the hop?

#61 1 year ago
  62. Eregol

@60 Multiplat titles have been known to look better on PS3, but they have tended to suffer more with frame rate drops and screen tearing, not to mention some AA problems.
    Sony had to send people round to some devs to help them get the most out of the system architecture as it was too complicated to get decent performance out of it, pretty much why First party games looked so much better than 3rd party developed titles.

#62 1 year ago
  63. wishdokta

I miss the days, where E3 actually was an Expo about entertainment including surprises.

#63 1 year ago
  64. DrDamn

Sure there are technical issues with memory if it’s not been a consideration already – you’d think with these things they’d look at a number of options and considerations to allow for this sort of change. For memory the more serious issues are cost and availability I’d think.

Upping clock speeds is something done a lot in the PC community, the act of upping is nice and simple, the consequences (especially for a mass market device) too unknown. I can’t see MS risking another RROD situation.

I think that either the MS specs are higher than we have been led to believe or that they are happy they have something else which brings things back to parity.

#64 1 year ago
  65. ysleiro

@60 Since we are getting into calling people names and such.

How about you learn to read you mental midget. Where in my post did I say that I knew what chipset MS picked out? I said:

IF…IF… IF. Maybe after reading that 3 times your brain can properly process that.

Regarding the APIs Direct X is an advantage in that there is nothing new to learn. Whatever APIs Sony comes out with will be brand new. Not saying it makes a huge difference but it is certainly not a disadvantage.

#65 1 year ago
  66. Marabyte

You are right about one thing, DX11 is a tool. But guess what, tools do matter. Good tools help you to make good products faster. Is DX11 the best thing ever? I suppose it isn’t. Are developers comfortable with DX11, have good knowledge of how it works to launch great looking games? I guess they do.
    More often than xbox owners would like to admit first party game for PS3 look better than the few first party for x360. That’s true.
    But do a quick search and you’ll find developers complaining about the pain it was to develop in PS3.
    Why? Because the tools weren’t that good.

@62 and @64
    Of course consoles and PC’s are different. Although right now they start to look very similar.
    The reason I said, and still stand by, Microsoft could squeeze and extra MHz is simple.
    Look at AMD current CPU lineup. For the same TDP, say 65W, and number of cores they have the A4-3300 at 2,5 GHz up to the A10-5700 at 3,4 GHz.
    Its a huge leap.
    Sure the PS4/next Xbox aren’t off the shelf CPU’s and things could be more complicated than this.
    But unless Microsoft is already pushing the limits of what it can get with the TDP it needs to avoid RROD, they could still have room for better performance.

That’s the thing with this generation of consoles. They are quite like PC’s, some rules may apply.

UPDATE : Just to clarify, I’m assuming MS and Sony are using the same CPU. If not, the music plays a different tune.

#66 1 year ago
  67. DrDamn

The A4 you mention has 2 cores and the A10 4 cores. This Jaguar based chip in the PS4 has 8 cores. The power needed for the 4 core Jaguar chips are meant to be about 15W too. Am I missing something? Entirely possible :)

#67 1 year ago
  68. Cort

All MS needs is what it will have: timed exclusive CoD content. While that attracts me like a woman with a sore on her lip, there are many gamers for whom that is better than, we’ll, a woman.

#68 1 year ago
  69. Cort

….damn that autocorrect and no edit button for mobile.

*well*

#69 1 year ago
  70. dcarnage

To the first part: Yes, the 360 came out a whole year before the PS3 but if it were the other way around and PS3 came out first… Microsoft would have had a full extra year to beef up the 360 and trump the PS3 as far as hardware goes.

To the second part, M$ still has time to change its architecture in the 720. They could have made the Durango to have specs that were good enough to develop games for the 720 and continue to buff the 720 hardware. Then after the 720′s release send out new Durango dev kits with the upgraded hardware. Just remember M$ still has not announced the final spec for the system.

In the end though I bet both Sony and M$ will start off on equal footing with an identical release date and almost exact same architecture for their systems. I think the only difference between the two consoles will be peripherals, first party games and services.

As of right now, I’m leaning towards the PS4 at launch but I will eventually have both.

#70 1 year ago
  71. Old MacDonald

Hm, this article doesn’t quite fit with my happy fantasy view of the world where my favourite console manufacturer can do no wrong whereas their competitors do everything wrong, so I am a bit annoyed frankly. I think it’s biased.

#71 1 year ago
  72. fearmonkey

Is there any other Xbox owner besides myself, that is happy that MS might be squirming a little?

MS has focused on three main IP, Halo, Gears of War, and Fable, and let third party publishers be the reason to own an xbox, rather than first party titles or exclusives. If Sony makes the more powerful box, the next xbox might not be the main box of choice to develop on. This would place MS in an interesting and not so wonderful position, as third party would more likely be porting down to their console.

Ms has focused so much on gadgets and services, and I wonder if they honestly think that releasing a moderately more powerful box with Kinect2 in every game will keep people to their consoles. I hope Superdae is right when he said that the spec for the durango was old and that MS has a more powerful box, because if they dont, then MS must be sweating a bit. As it is im not sure how much difference if any 8gb DDR3 vs 8gb GDDR5 will have when it comes to games. Higher latency vs higher bandwith.

Sony placed MS on the defensive, and MS will need to show why they are better when its announced. Sony held back enough that if MS has any surprises, Sony could possibly still counter. Sony pulled some good moves here.

I think Pat’s article wasn’t biased, he is right. Everyone is talking about PS4, and now MS will have to do something to really impress us. I MS came out today with the matching features of the PS4, we would all be disappointed. We now expect more from MS and they have to deliver, and I honestly dont know if they really will be able to.

It’s interesting to think of Phil Harrison launching the PS3 and now launching the next xbox, maybe thats not a good omen lol.

I just hope that MS pulled a Sega and had multiple variants of spec like they did with the Dreamcast. Unfortunately, sega went with the lower performing spec (PowerVR vs 3DFX), lets hope MS has a rabbit in one of their hats to surprise us all.

#72 1 year ago
  73. fengato

Just as an aside (and speaking of Phil) – I feel the PS4 reveal would have been a whole lot more endearing with Harrison leading the charge. Good hardware + Phil = win.

#73 1 year ago
  74. Elia

C’mon guys, are we REALLY talkin’ bout RAW power ? Haven’t we learned NOTHING from the previous generations ? SNES over Genesis. Saturn over PS1. Xbox over PS2. PS3 over 360. And so what ? The “less” powerful platforms always “won”. Games is truly what matters. I’m an Xbox owner (and recently a Vita, too), and of course I’m intrigued, and excited, about PS4. But anyone here really think that one platform will have such a leap from the another one ? I really don’t think so… The math here is simple: Do you want some new and interesting IPs (doesn’t matter it takes 4, 5 years to be completed)? Cannot be w/o God of War, LBP ? Go PS4. Wanna play Halo, GoW, and a decent online multiplayer ? Go Xbox. I think is simple as it sounds. Besides that, of course we’ll have some DLCs exclusives here or there, but the games will looks like pretty much the same thing. Now what I think MSoft will HAVE to show is some new IPs for this generation… and I’m pretty sure they’ll. And, I don’t know, but MS is too quiet for a long time now… something big is coming. C’mon, April 26…

#74 1 year ago
  75. Butcher8

Firstly “majority of UK consumers won’t know” is maybe as puerile as “the next-generation doesn’t start until we say it does” but it’s nowhere near as arrogant, secondly the next-generation starts when the first next-gen console launches (which is the wiiu depending on who you ask, unless you’re asking a ps fanboy) not when Sony says it starts, seems you still haven’t learnt from Sony’s mistakes, I mean you even quoted them in your article as I just did for posterity…

This article reminds me of another atrociously biased article from this website, http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/01/forward-thinking-sonys-risks-with-unique-ideas-pays-off/comment-page-1/#comments I was worried Cullen had returned (you can imagine my relief), this kind of opinion piece has no place on a website like this, you are just shamefully looking for hits.

#75 1 year ago
  76. Mike W

Wow Pat, you’ve upset a lot of people with this article. ;)

#76 1 year ago
  77. manamana

^ thats not a lot. We are still under 500. ;-)

#77 1 year ago
  78. Superfrog

@76: That’s probably what he was aiming for, we all know he can do much better. I really don’t like gonzo articles like this one.

#78 1 year ago
  79. IL DUCE

This is all for naught if they release at the same time…just because Microsoft didn’t announce it first doesn’t mean anything since they can both hit the market Holiday 2013…plus we’ve all known they were coming for years now, so it’s not like Sony’s announcement surprised the market, it was a matter of when not if they would reveal it in the first half of 2013…

Plus Sony wasn’t even ready to show the actual console…just shows you how much of a rush job they had to put together in order to basically just say “FIRST!” in terms of announcing their hardware…

#79 1 year ago