PS4: all Sony studios working on next-gen games

Monday, 25th February 2013 23:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed that all 12 first-party studios are working on PlayStation 4 games.

IGN asked Yoshida if it would be “fair to say” all first-party studios are working on PS4 games.

“Is it fair or not fair? It is fair to say,” he said, which is a roundabout way of confirming but we’ll take it.

A couple of these teams presented at the PlayStation 4 reveal. Evolution Studios showed off DriveClub, while Guerrilla Games blew us away with Killzone: Shadow Fall. Sucker Punch revealed InFamous: Second Son, and Media Molecule demonstarted a strange set of creative tools using the Move controller. SCE Japan has a new title called Knack.

Others have not made announcements but their projects are pretty obvious; Polyphony Digital is almost certainly working on a new Gran Turismo, and SCE Santa Monica is likely prepping a new God of War.

A number of studios remain unaccounted for, though: Uncharted and The Last of Us developer Naughty Dog; portable-focused team Bend Studio; SCE Cambridge; SCE London; and the sports-centric SCE San Diego.

PlayStation 4 is due during the 2013 holiday period, although its European release date is uncertain.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

This year’s E3 will be Legen… wait for it… Dary!

2. TD_Monstrous69

Hooray! Prepare for next-gen Singstar! Also, if I’m not mistaken, SCE Cambridge is now Guerilla Cambridge.

3. SlayerGT

I read PD was working on GT6 for PS3..

4. Erthazus

Damn, I don’t know why, but I like that controller a lot.

Although that touch pad kinda sucky. But it’s slick as hell from that position.

5. GwynbleiddiuM

@4 Agreed, that touch pad seems like a missed opportunity. I totally expected something like Razer’s switchblade.

6. MadFlavour

And in other news, water is wet.

7. MadFlavour

@4, I agree it seems totally pointless.

However:
    It looks like it’s removable to me. I think they probably wanted to put a small touch screen in there, but it would have been cost prohibitive to add it as standard to every controller. It looking removable, would suggest it might be an optional peripheral3. If I’m right there’s two options:

1. They bundle one touch screen peripheral with every console. It might turn out to be a worthwhile feature.

2. They just make it an optional peripheral purchase. No developer will utilize it to any great extent. It will be completely pointless.

8. Phoenixblight

Or or they can just bundle the Vita with the PS4.

9. MadFlavour

Yeah maybe they’ll bundle a Ferrari Enzo with it too, and a Shakira lookalike hooker, and a life time supply of coke and wine and cheese.

Probably not though.

10. Phoenixblight

Sorry but I see the Vita more than likely than the touch screen being removeable as they keep talking about Vita being utilized by the console.

11. Dragon246

Its obvious.
    Although Santa Monica necessarily wont be working on a GOW title. They are a really big studio, they released 12 games in 2012, through external dev and so on.
    SCE Cambridge is Guerrilla Cambridge, and working on KZ:M.
    SCE London may well be working not on a game, but Bigfest.
    Speculation obviously.
    On other hand, how many of them are developing vita games ?

12. mkotechno

@6 It’s not removable, it’s clickable. Surely there is a little ammount of movement and because of this the touchpad seems to be higher.

13. Cort

I’ve bought every GT game on day one, and played every one to death. But I think GT5 should be the last of the series. It has nowhere left to go and Kaz has fallen behind the curve – as they say in fashionable ‘meeja’ industries. I shall not care for another even if it is in production (certainly I shall never again accept any assurances uttered by PD) and have set my sights solely on DriveClub.

Am I the only GT fanatic to think this?

14. theevilaires

^ I kinda agree with you Cort. Gran Turismo series has turned into a graphical showcase of the system more than having fun racing with a sim. Especially since all I do now is invest my time in photo mode taking hundreds of digital shots for that perfect one. I think the series hit its peak with GT3 on PS2 but I don’t want the series to die out completely just slow down.

I’m looking forward to DriveClub as well with you and know I’ll be at the starting line along your side when it launches :)

15. Dragon246

@13, 14.
    Driveclub needs to be supported. Evolution has gone through some very rough times after apocalypse (see the pun ;) )and were afraid that they would be closed down. Driveclub looks good and kudos to Sony for allowing Evolution to work on something they like, even though it may undermine their highest selling franchise.

16. Da Man

.. And 11 out of those 12 are going to be another series of overly scripted tech demos.

The 12th one is going to be yet another Gt.

17. SlayerGT

More GT6 PS3 talk..

I’m sure PD is working on a PS4 title but it seems GT6 may indeed come out on PS3.