Project Gotham Racing trademark renewed

Monday, 25th February 2013 00:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft has renewed its trademark for Project Gotham Racing, according to Trademarkia. The trademark covers “computer programs, namely, game software for use on computers and video game players” and was first registered in 2001 ahead of the first entry in the series, an Xbox launch title. The renewal is just good business practice but has reignited excitement over rumours that Lucid Games is developing a new Project Gotham game for the next Xbox console.

Thanks, XBoxygen.

1. Dragon246

I like the PGR series. It was the first game that I played in 7th generation.

2. DSB

Lucid Games was founded by former Bizarre people, so that’s certainly every reason to get excited.

3. AmeriToast

Didn’t they want to get out from under MS and become independent, get bought out, made a racing game that flopped and were let go. Now they are working for MS again?

4. Gadzooks!

Bizarre + PGR = Happy me.

Having said that, there is an awful lot of PGR feel in Forza Horizon, from the design of some of the street tracks right down to kudos challenges in the fast-travel hub PR stunts.

5. Butcher8

@AmeriToast Quite the contrary actually, they wanted to be bought by Microsoft but Microsoft weren’t interested in yet another acquisition, so Bizarre had no choice but to go to Activision, we know how that worked out for them.

6. DSB

@4 I disagree, two entirely different genres. Gotham was never about simulation, it was always about speed and agility. The 360 games did become kinda tame though.

7. Gadzooks!

#6

I disagree. PGR was a point between sim and arcade handling, skewed toward sim. Horizon is less sim-focussed than the main Forzas.

The kudos challenges and street tracks clearly show the influence of the devs that worked on PGR.

8. AmeriToast

@5, ok thanks for setting it straight. I thought it was more like a bungie thing than that. Kinda wish they did buy them back then because I did enjoy the PGR series.