Command & Conquer will add Red Alert, Tiberium timelines after launch

Monday, 25th February 2013 17:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Command & Conquer is coming out as a free-to-play title later this year, courtesy of Victory Games. While it will launch as a game based on the C&C Generals world, the studio will add both the Red Alert and Tiberium timelines into the mix as further down the line.

In a VG247 interview going live on the site next week Tim Morten, senior development director at Victory Games confirmed that the team will add both timelines into the mix post-launch, and even has plans to explore new fictions within the C&C universe.

“At the outset we’re starting out in the Generals universe”, he explained, “with an initial set of three factions. I think the first things you’ll see come from us will be additional maps, additional game modes and additional generals to help tailor play to your own style.

“Over time we’ll add a couple of new factions. We’re already talking about different mini-campaigns, and story-based modes that might appeal to players who are used to that more campaign-based experience.

“Longer term we’re looking at revisiting other C&C universes such as Tiberium and Red Alert, and even exploring completely new fictions. The vision is expected to continue for years and even decades down the line.”

So you’ll have a while to wait until you get to use Tesla Coils again. Bad times. Meanwhile, you can check out these lovely new Command & Conquer screens that dropped today.

You can also check out my full hands-on impressions of Command & Conquer tomorrow.

What do you make of the news? Let us know below.

1. Zohar

Good to hear! I was really put off CnC after CNC4 basically took a big dump on my face. Hopefully Victory Games makes up for EALA’s mistakes.

2. Dave Cook

@1 I really liked what I played of this Zohar, it felt like classic C&C again. My article’s going up tomorrow.

3. Zohar

Awesome! Thanks Dave, I’ll keep an eye out for it. I do love the CnC games ever so much so I’m excited for this.

4. Dave Cook

@3 you and me both :)

5. ItsFade

Did they say anything about the game having skirmish against bots or if it was multiplayer only when you talked to them Dave?

Hope the game turns out to be good, love the C&C franchise but the last couple of games have been less than stellar to say the least. Liking what i’m seeing so far, will definitely read the preview going up.

6. Dave Cook

@5 It has skirmish from day one too yeah :) I played it and got utterly battered by the bots.

You’ll find out more tomorrow :)

7. ItsFade

Excellent news, was afraid of online only after they announced it was going free to play. :D

8. Sanwiches

Why did they have to brand their new RTS game as Command and Conquer anyway. Not the same devs, not the same feel. So not the same fans. meh

9. Zohar

@8 I get what you’re saying. CnC3 definitely had a very different feel than CNC95 and TibSun. They went for the whole “campy” thing but TibSun, RA, RA2 and CNC95 were campy because… they just were. Not because it was forced or something. It ended up coming out more like some bad syfy channel original movie. Bad bad, not good bad.

Red Alert 3 was genuinely good though. Without a doubt the best CnC game that came out of EALA.

Victory Games now has a chance to see if they can recapture the feel of a CnC game, but the fact that they started with Generals, which is pretty bland and lacks character, says maybe they aren’t willing to “go there” just yet.

Either way, don’t expect any story or cutscenes. This CNC reboot seems to put the focus 100% on Esports and multiplayer gaming.