Ubisoft: Watch Dogs multiplayer “is all about hyperconnectivity”

Friday, 22nd February 2013 14:34 GMT By Nick Akerman

Watch Dogs may have received an impressive single-player demo at Wednesday’s PS4 reveal, but Ubisoft has been particularly quiet about the game’s multiplayer. Creative director Jonathan Morin decided to shed some light in a recent interview.

Speaking to Kotaku, Morin suggested the title will feature extensive online connectivity.

“Watch Dogs is all about hyperconnectivity,” he said. “To me, that has to mean all the time and anywhere. So yes, other people are out there all the time, when you don’t expect it. Whether you’re playing single-player or multiplayer, it’s happening. You’re saying asynchronous but it’s much more real-time than that…”

Does this mean players can help Aiden’s progression? It seems the scope for multiplayer is huge in this one.

“We’ll let players do pretty much what they want on those terms. And I think that what’s interesting is that since we’re creating a fantasy that you can progressively control all of Chicago and monitor everything… if you can do that… you need to ask yourself if Aiden Pearce can do all of this, can anybody else out there do the same thing? And the answer is absolutely yes.”

What would you like to see in Watch Dogs’ multiplayer?

1. LuLshuck

Bet my left testicle this game is repetitive and shit, you heard it here first folks

#1 1 year ago
  2. Sanwiches

You better give me that testicle if you lose that bet

#2 1 year ago
  3. mkotechno

I hope it isn’t just Assasins Creed with cars and phones… I they work hard could be even better than GTAV, or maybe plain shit… we will see.

#3 1 year ago
  4. NeoSquall

@1 Life is repetitive, just give away your testicle already.

#4 1 year ago
  5. FrayJoker

I’m not sure what this means, but if playing ME3 multiplayer with my friends is any indication. I am going to be dicked thoroughly over. Repeatedly.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthazus

I hope that it is not as repetitive as Assassins Creed games.

If it is Assassins Creed on Steroids then holy damn.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Gnosis

Pls don’t suck, pls don’t suck, pls don’t suck… >_>

#7 1 year ago
  8. SplatteredHouse

Though there will be multiplayer specific content. There will also be a blurring of the line between single/multiplayer.
    There can be other people playing characters in your game, and they may have their own objectives. But it’s designed in such a way to not encourage griefing, and you can decide not to participate if you prefer. If you watch again, the “singleplayer” footage shown at the PlayStation Meeting, you may notice times where evidence of other players can be seen!

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ezxpr9/watch-dogs-ps4-event–post-show-interview–stream- 3:30 onwards

#8 1 year ago
  9. hives

So… I’ll be able to take control of camera to watch someone else playing single player game. Meh.

But if I’ll be able to take control of some other elements and troll my friends, that would be cool :P Of course there MUST be on/off switch for allowing this things to happen.

#9 1 year ago
  10. MadFingerz

My guess is this is sort of what they always wanted to do with AC but couldn’t because it would mess too much with the single player portion and the story they wanted to tell. I wonder if this tile was thought up as the answer so they didn’t have to implement it on AC, lol.

@9 My guess is that another player hacked the camera and set it to detect you or something. I don’t imagine that he would actually have to watch you play, more like having a tool on the map that can detect you so that player can find and mess with you :p

#10 1 year ago
  11. SplatteredHouse

More like the second one, hives :) You don’t control a camera, they’re implying that you would appear as a character that is in another player’s game, and, I imagine that you would also be able to do all of the hacking as well (the man being interviewed mentioned that the player was stealing information during that footage, from Aiden)

I think this type of interconnected gameplay may be a cross between Dark Souls and Journey, in the kind of play that it is. But, they’ve not set out the details, yet.

#11 1 year ago
  12. hives

Yeah, didn’t think of that. I think in the end of first demo (from E3) there was other player standing on roof spying on main protagonist.

That would be really nice multiplayer feature, as long as it’s optional.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Edo

Hopefully there will be a classic single-player campaign.

#13 1 year ago
  14. nklh4x0r

I hope hyperconnectivity does not mean some DRM bull****

#14 1 year ago