Ubisoft wants to “improve” its relationship with PC community

Friday, 22nd February 2013 11:31 GMT By Nick Akerman

Ubisoft is hoping to make huge strides in the PC market by offering greater diversity within its Uplay service.

The publisher recently opened the service up to companies including EA, Bohemia Interactive, Warner Bros and Telltale. Ubisoft scrapped its controversial anti-piracy methods in September last year, and has been working to win the hearts of PC gamers since.

“Announcing all these partners for Uplay and a wider choice of PC games, it shows our commitment to PC, and we want to improve our relationship with the PC community,” Uplay director Stephanie Perotti told MCV.

“We are always seeking to improve. We took a lot of that feedback on board. With every game on PC we are improving. Far Cry 3 and Assassin’s Creed III on PC were very high quality.”

“At Uplay we are also offering all Ubisoft titles, more console content and elements that gamers are more interested in. It’s about offering more options and more choice.”

How often do you guys use Uplay? Will the added options of other publishers force you into trying the service? Let us know.

1. dex3108

Assassins Creed 3 on PC is poorly optimized. DLC distribution is nightmare, old Ubisoft games can’t be added to UPlay, purchases from UbiShop have 30 day download limit if games are not UPlay ready… I don’t see how they are improving :D

2. Tavarish

Shame that uPlay is larger slice of shit than Origin is. They really need improve that software if they want to be “good for PC players”. Also who the hell thought it’s good idea to force uPlay to be ran when game, e.g. Far Cry 3, is ran through Steam already?

3. ballz

still dont know why the fuck you cant see all your games in uplay
    is it that hard to implement this shit?

4. Optimaximal

@Tavarish Far Cry 3 isn’t ‘run through Steam’. Any game that isn’t a Steamworks title is simply wrapped in Steam’s Overlay API and launched with a small DRM-check to see if you own the game…

5. Samoan Spider

My biggest issue is the steam or origin thing. You have a UI that you select the game on. You press start or play. It runs. You then get Uplay. Which forces you to log in and click the game. Then you click start. Then it faffs. Then finally it plays. Now with Big Picture mode being bloody fantastic, this is particularly annoying when I’m sat on the sofa with a gamepad in hand. So please make it more seamless Ubisoft.

6. Takeshi

“DLC distribution is nightmare. ” How? It works fine on Far Cry 3.

“Old Ubisoft games can’t be added to UPlay.” I can definitely see this as being an incentive to begin using Uplay. I definitely liked that about Origin, that I could add some EA games to my account.

IMO, they should focus on making it a good experience for their exclusives at least. I don’t see many people suddenly preferred Uplay instead of Steam or Origin. Yeah, I said Origin. I don’t get why it still gets so much hate.

7. Kabby

Strike a better deal with Steam and kill your Uplay garbage. Problem solved.

8. dex3108

@Takeshi

AC3 DLC-s are distributed via retailers (GMG, GamersGate, UbiShop…) and every single DLC had problem with download. In fact it is easier to download DLC Installation from torrent. And DLC is useless for pirates because it serial code is required. Far Cry 3 DLC is really easy to download via Far Cry 3 web page but for other games it is a nightmare. They need to add DLCs to UPlay.

9. Arkorvo

There PC ports have been well done recently, even if they came a little late.

Releasing the PC versions same times as console would go down much better.

UPlay I hardly use, same as Origin, only use them because I have to, not like Steam were it has more functional benefits.

10. NiceFellow

1 – Drop Uplay entirely for PC

2 – Code better on PC

3 – Put everything on Steam

Then I might consider purchasing Ubi games on PC.

11. DoezNsweat

Sounds great on paper, but the reality is Need for Speed Most Wanted costs €29,99 on Origin and €49,99 on Uplay. There’s no Demo either, and no way to trade a game in once downloaded. Quite crappy service if you ask me.
    I also got a Collectors Edition of King Kong lying around here, and guess what – you can’t play it under Windows 7, there’s also no way to downlaod it from uPlay – Their support team suggests me to go get Windows XP installed seperately.
    A good service would simply let me Add the game to my digital library, and then patch it, so it would run under Win 7 – a good service would also allow me to trade my digital licenses with friends and offer me the option to trade games in or sell them off.

12. Hunam

I’m still pissed at them for utterly ruining Future Soldier on PC>

13. DreamCleaver

Good luck with that. It will be a uphill battle for Ubisoft.

14. harr0w

aha ahahaha ahahahahahahahaha ubi haahaa soft aaaaaahahahaha wants to be our friends awwww fuck off.

15. DSB

Too little, too late.

When you spend 10 years doing practically everything you can to ruin your relationship with your customers, and you manage to lose more than 50% of them in the process without ever admitting your mistakes, then you’ve lost the game.

I doubt that Ubisoft even has the competence to provide a decent service. The only way I see myself being impressed is if they put Uplay into it’s much overdue grave and shift their focus to Steamworks.

They don’t care about what they did, they care about losing 60% of their marketshare on the PC.

16. OlderGamer

“1 – Drop Uplay entirely for PC

2 – Code better on PC

3 – Put everything on Steam

Then I might consider purchasing Ubi games on PC.”

Spot on.

17. Bomba Luigi

To be Fair, they have made some Improvments, like the drop of DRM. But well, Uplay is still not a very good Thing.

18. karma

No thanks. Sell the rights of Tom Clancy games and Far Cry to another publisher like Bethesda or 2K and go away please. I do not want UPlay, or Origin for that matter.

19. DSB

Uplay has gotten a lot better, if a lot better means less obstructive, but that just kinda raises the question of why it’s there?

Ubisoft are on Origin, and they’re on Steam. Those are two main services that pretty much render bundling their games with Uplay completely obsolete.

It just doesn’t make sense. If they really want to reach gamers, they have to come up with a solution that isn’t a hassle, and they badly need to drop their piracy paranoia.

Everybody else is making a lot of money on the PC, and Ubisoft were too, but they’ve lost 60% of their profits on the platform after introducing Uplay (aka Online Services Platform).

It’s been going on for too long. Before Uplay they bundled everything with Starforce. They’ve been all but openly hostile towards the platform.

20. noamlol2

EA= the devil
    UBISOFT= the devil’s son
    ACTIVISION= adulf hitler

i won’t buy games from those a$$holes,let alone use EA/UBISOFT DRM’s on my PC

21. Edo

The ball is in your court Ubi…