PS4 – Tretton expects titles to cost $60 max

Friday, 22nd February 2013 17:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SCEA CEO Jack Tretton has said titles for PS4 will likely max out at the $60 mark.

Speaking with CNBC, Tretton said the new system will welcome all sorts of pay schemes ranging from free-to-play, and your normal disc price.

“I think people are willing to pay if they see value there and I think there’s more choice than ever before for consumers,” he said. “We’re going to welcome free-to-play models; games from 99 cents up to those $60 games.

“But if you really see where the heat is for the true gamer on the console it’s still that big-form experience that typically runs upwards of $50 million to develop and will justify that $60 price point and will give people hours and hours of gameplay on a daily basis for months and years to come.”

Tretton said he doesn’t expect tablet or mobile games to cut into PS4 game sales, as those are just “additive experiences,” and that the “true gamer wants to play the most powerful devices and the most deep and rich gaming experiences.”

PS4 is due out this holiday season.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Dragon246

BOOM!
    Now only tell me that it has free basic online, 400$ price and region-free and you are sure of success.

Wonder why no journo has not yet asked about online yet. Wierd.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Greek God

glad to hear that

#2 1 year ago
  3. Hcw87

Nothing wrong with paying for online if it means not having a maintenance several times a month like it is now on PSN. Not like it’s expensive anyway, you probably spend more money during a night out.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Actually I asked. My interview should be going up soon. I am still getting it “prettified.” I’ll go ahead and tell you all now, though, I was told things like that “will be announced” in due course.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Bashtee

I actually expect to pay for a variety of online services. Online gaming might still be free, everything else will most likely not.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dragon246

@Steph,
    “Will be announced” Feels a tad negative imo.
    But providing basic online (to play multiplayer games) is a must, at least to generate goodwill, if not more. MS is horrible in that regard.
    They can charge for the additional features, as they would.

#6 1 year ago
  7. AmeriToast

@Dragon246, then if PS4 does it, it will be ok because MS did it first. Rumors have gone around that you might be charged just like the Xbox. I hope its not true but you might want to brace yourself incase it does.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Sini

fuck that, for $400 the specs would be gimp, trash wiiu is 350 ffs. I’d rather they pimp out specs, if you can’t afford $600 wait 2 years for price drops. But you’re stuck with same hardware for next 5-7 years.

#8 1 year ago
  9. xino

if they would cost $60 then I EXPECT unlockable modes or multiplayer!

why the hell should we still keep paying $60 for single player games!?

we’ll still keep seeing garbage like Tales games:/

#9 1 year ago
  10. Digital Bamboo

“the fact is third party companies may not even be able to produce graphics like Killzone 4 or Deep DOwn.”

Erm, these are launch games, (or at least KZ4 is a confirmed launch game) the graphics are only going to get better going forward. Also, KZ is developed by a 3rd party company, and Deep Down is all Capcom.

#10 1 year ago
  11. MadFingerz

^ehrmmm, Guerrilla Games ARE 1st party, they are owned by Sony.

@9 Some single player games are worth 60. Only thing I would request is better pricing with downloadable games. Yes, downloading is more convenient than ordering from Amazon or whatever but sometimes the price difference is too big.

#11 1 year ago