Microsoft likely to showcase Xbox 720 in April reveal

Friday, 22nd February 2013 10:20 GMT By Nick Akerman

Fresh on the heels of Sony’s PS4 unveiling, reports suggest Microsoft is setting up a one-off Xbox 720 event for sometime in April.

As indicated on CVG, an unnamed Sony official has claimed the company’s PS4 reveal “at first caught Microsoft off-guard.”

As a response, Microsoft is likely run a special Xbox 720 meeting later in the year. While the company has declined an official comment, VG247 would like to confirm it has also received word of the April event.

Also, a website has been registered for “Xbox Event” (thanks, Moonwalker1982). The WHOIS database shows XboxEvent.com was registered by US Techs, which works in the “event management industry.”NeoGAF notes the firm was also behind the domain registration for XboxE312.com, which was a site attendees to the firm’s E3 event used to sign up.

Only a matter of time then, we reckon.

1. melonbuster1

Now you will see gamesmanship!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Beta

Completely expected, Sony have forced their hand somewhat.

Interested to see which direction they’ve gone with the new Xbox.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Yurinov

Earlier story – When asked about console release cycles, Hirai indicated Sony is waiting for Microsoft to strike first. Speaking to The Times, he said, “why go first when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?”

Todays story – an unnamed Sony official has claimed the company’s PS4 reveal “at first caught Microsoft off-guard.”

Conclusion? Sony is shitting in their mouth.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Mike W

This is going to get bloody this time around.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

Console wars. Oh.My.God. *facepalm.jpg*

It’s going to be interestng though.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Samoan Spider

I would say it definitely caught them off guard but only because of Sony’s corporate bluff.
    But it wouldn’t drive them to pull the trigger earlier. I would say if MS were aiming for a winter release anyway, April for a reveal with details, followed by E3 for a proper fandangly bit of showmanship would fit with their modus operandi.

#6 1 year ago
  7. kmad4

There’s always going to be fanboy/console wars lol Im a Sony fanboy but I really hope Microsoft steps it up with the exclusives that so far was my only thing against the 360 I want sick games not to jump around on the Kinect

#7 1 year ago
  8. ShakaCarnage

As a matter of fact, Microsoft has known Sony was due for a February reveal since November.

Not really caught off guard at all.

#8 1 year ago
  9. daytripper

My gut feeling is that these two consoles will be brilliant but one could stagnate due to price. Anything over $400 in this climate is a no go

#9 1 year ago
  10. Myth

@4 I think we might see the least bloody console generation in quite a while. They’re both using similar hardware this time, both are going online and both have a move-controller built in.

There’s space for two console makers in this space, which is what we have (wii being a novelty extra kinda console) and it’ll be so much easier to cross-develop due to the hardware similarities. Both should be able to turn a profit, neither are likely to suffer any sort of knockout blow.

Your preference might just come down to design, usability and online features in the end.

#10 1 year ago
  11. G1GAHURTZ

E3 organisers aren’t going to be happy about all this…

#11 1 year ago
  12. Samoan Spider

@10 Well said

#12 1 year ago
  13. Mike W

They did?

In any case MS needs to come with an impressive showing, plain and simple. I don’t want to see Usher or Harrison Ford on stage or hear how much money you made on the 360…….

I want to see what your system can do and what is it bringing to the table. One way MS can wow the crowd is showing Battlefield 4 running on their system.

I bet you MS pays EA to show off that game on their hardware. I’m pretty sure COD is going to be there too.

But the only thing that’s going to really hurt MS is the release date. Sony is releasing this year, MS should release 4 to 6 months after that. They literally can’t afford another red ring incident.

#13 1 year ago
  14. The_Red

Move over cult of Kaz. It’s time for Palmer GIFs!

#14 1 year ago
  15. Tech-N9ne

You guys are funny, Sony and Microsoft have so many of the same third party partner that there’s nothing about Sony and Microsoft next console that the Sony and Microsoft doesn’t know about, down to probable release dates.

I am sure Microsoft is not surprised at all by the PS4 announcement and knew about it before all of us. They even knew Sony was not gonna show the actual console, I remember the article about a Microsoft Exec saying most people outside of gaming wont know much about what Sony reveals on the 20th. Which kinda turn out to be true, since no console was actually shown, dampening this announcement a bit.

#15 1 year ago
  16. PC_PlayBoy

Consoles suck.

#16 1 year ago
  17. G1GAHURTZ

Not as much as your PC!

#17 1 year ago
  18. DrDamn

MS Announced pre-E3 last time. It was on MTV.

#18 1 year ago
  19. RandomTiger

Lol, good stuff, lets get all the cards on the table.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Butcher8

@PC_PlayBoy Pc’s suc….wait I love pc’s and consoles…you suck!!

#20 1 year ago
  21. G1GAHURTZ

@18:

Yeah, but it was only about 3 weeks before E3, and seen as a “pre-E3″ event.

This would be a possible 2 months, by which time, E3 could be left with nothing but a few game announcements.

Let’s be honest, Nintendo is probably not going to have anything ‘interesting’ except a few tired looking exclusives to show off.

We already know so much about the PS3, and more info is coming out all the time, so all we can realistically expect is to see the console, and controller in action.

If I was running E3, I’d be working hard to stop MS announcing anything before the show.

#21 1 year ago
  22. M. K.

Why are people still calling it 720? It doesn’t make any sense :D Next xbox is going to get a name like xbox 3 or just xbox. Any thoughts?

#22 1 year ago
  23. Samoan Spider

@22 According to my very lazy maths, it could be called the Xbox2664 based solely on the fact that if the hardware is the same as the PS4 and it achieves 1.85 teraflops, and the Xbox360 produced 0.25 teraflops thats a 740% increase

Anyway, Xbox 3 would seem logical, but maybe something like Nextbox.

#23 1 year ago
  24. G1GAHURTZ

Apparently they’re just going to call it “Xbox”.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Gekidami

@22 They should just be honest and call it the Halo-Netflix Box. :P

But seriously, i’m guessing they’ll show Halo 5, announce it as a launch title, Forza, i guess… Not too sure what else though, MS’ problem will always be its massive lack of first party studios. They may pull out the stops and crank everything up to 11 for the first year, but just like with this gen, whilst the studios are between games, it’ll be the long third party, multiplat filled desert again.
    People bought into CoD on 360 because CoD2 came out for it first, 360 had a years install base in advance and the online features were better suited to it, but can anyone really imagine what the 360 would be if the PS3 was considered the “home of CoD”? Looking at what the PS4′s offering in terms of network, the next Xbox probably wont even have the online edge Live did this gen.

I just dont see what MS can offer with a new console, they dont have the exclusives, they probably wont have a better network, going off rumours they wont have the “power” and they wont have more time on the market. Considering the fact that globally the PS3 has pretty much always been selling better than the 360 at a much higher price (one people considered to be ‘too high’) it seems they dont really even have the loyal install base.

#25 1 year ago
  26. G1GAHURTZ

^ Wow! Are you Michael Pachter?

#26 1 year ago
  27. sh4dow

Meh… wish it could have been March already… oh well.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Samoan Spider

@25 They already do have the better network on account of buying a company that operated a large worldwide network many years ago. You can’t take that away from them. If the next xbox has a better leg up in Japan, Sony wont have quite the same home advantage this time around (8-9 million PS3s sold there vs 1 million 360′s accounts for the reason for why they are now neck and neck on sales). We all need to wait for facts from MS before writing anyone off from this race.

#28 1 year ago
  29. G1GAHURTZ

^ Exactly. A balanced person wouldn’t look at the situation any other way.

We don’t know anything about the 720, it’s games or it’s functionality. Trying to justify writing it off at this stage is desperate folly.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Lahanas

“corporate bluff”

I dont know why exactly, but this… term made me laugh

#30 1 year ago
  31. DrDamn

I reckon a proper Forza of some sort is likely, but Halo 5? Not yet. Updated version of Halo 4 – very possibly. Too early for 5 though.

Lack of first party studios wasn’t an issue last time as they cherry picked the best third party stuff. Similar this time perhaps? I think they will likely have some sort of deal with Activision and CoD or maybe EA and Battlefield. Not full exclusivity but DLC first something like that. EA were a little conspicuous by their absence at the PS4 showing. They will develop for it no doubt (they were on the list) but some sort of deal with MS perhaps.

#31 1 year ago
  32. ps4some

@28 Microsoft are never going to do well in Japan because their console boxes look like they were designed by a 4 yr old with a crayon.

#32 1 year ago
  33. ps4some

@31 I agree – MS are just going to throw money at exclusives rather than memory. I fully expect some COD and GTAV exclusivity.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Samoan Spider

@32 And the ps3 was the pinnacle of style and class? Give me a break. I enjoy my PS3 but it was like a 3 legged/1 eyed dog. You love it, but its not pretty. No, MS only started to take Japan seriously late in the game. And like the xbox in the western world, you make a name, then the next iteration builds on what came before. The playstation brand is already established there so not quite the same leap can be made by Sony.

#34 1 year ago
  35. daytripper

Lucid Games (not far from where I used to live) are making Project Gotham Racing, Black Tusk are making a Defiance type (MMO sort of 3 rd person shooter out in April) game and two downloadable titles and Remedy are making an exclusive game too.

#35 1 year ago
  36. _LarZen_

After seeing what Sony will be offering Microsoft will have to have better/same hardware and all the functions the PS4 has.

And have a bunch of developers and exclusive games that looks good as on the PS4.

If not, this will be the first time I am skipping Xbox.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Moonwalker1982

I love my Xbox 360 and while i have all the consoles, except for the Wii U, it remains my console of choice this gen. I apreciate the things like party chat, Xbox live, the many awesome arcade games, the control is near perfect IMO. So basically i’d really want to buy the new Xbox at first, cause i can only afford one console this year.

It’s really going to depend on several factors. Will the console come with a great launchgame? I have no idea which ones, cause i’m certainly not expecting a Halo 5 already. It’s gonna depend on that. Let’s be honest, MS hasn’t really been interesting for gamers looking for a new IP on their console. They focused way too much on Kinect and that’s something i hope they won’t do during this event. Sure they will show the new Kinect and it’s features but don’t ignore real games MS, please. And of course specs, rumours have been saying the PS4 is significantly more powerful. Time will tell.

#37 1 year ago
  38. reask

I dont know drdamn I feel they need more exclusives having let so many go.

#38 1 year ago
  39. pukem0n

Microsoft will launch along with the PS4, propably even for 50$ less.
    spec wise they will be about the same anyway, so nobody cares.

will get them both, so i dont really care :D

#39 1 year ago
  40. noamlol2

at least they will show the console itself
    not promises like sony showed

#40 1 year ago
  41. G1GAHURTZ

Don’t worry about MS, reask, they’re working very hard on being number one. Stuff like this:

…and Kinect glasses (and whatever else people can come up with) look like they have the potential to make all the wow moments and megatons that Sony was missing.

#41 1 year ago
  42. reask

I hope so Giga as it would be a shame if they let it slip like Sony did early on with the PS3.
    Interesting times ahead if some of them links bear fruition.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Samoan Spider

@42 But Sony let it slip and sold shedloads. ‘Let it slip’ is a subjective comment. Sales would show that a LOT of people loved what Sony did. Enough to pay a touch over the odds for the product. Its about business again. I can’t see MS abandoning any of their target audiences. No matter what your opinion of them is (good or bad), they’re a good/sensible (mostly) business and provided no one from the windows management team is involved could actually do some really clever things as Giga says.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Moonwalker1982

Let’s be honest here. I expected at least a interesting and promising new IP from Sony during the event, i guess they’ll keep that for E3, but still..they played it quite safe with Killzone Shadow Fall and inFamous and the rest being multiplatform titles. So i don’t think anyone should complain if MS shows either a glimpse of Halo 5 with impressive graphics or something else. However, anything Sony did during that event, it was mostly about the console and gaming itself. Very little about entertainment services and motion stuff. Only a small bit of MM’s new Move game.

But even with all the casual shit they are no doubt going to show, there of course will be real games as well, real games to showcase the true power of the system, to make fans of the 360 look forward to buying this system. Also i expect MS will show the console, unlike Sony. They’ve always done that in the past, but then again…so did Sony until this week. However…Major Nelson more or less dissing Sony because of no console showing and actual complaint about games, should hopefully mean MS will indeed show the console and actually have loads of games?

#44 1 year ago
  45. manamana

Let’s also not forget the E3 Natal / Molyneux presentation, where the grade of interactivity never happened. But I bet Microsoft has some great looking Alan Wake in pocket. And exclusive CoD DLC of course.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Moonwalker1982

I hope so man. Alan Wake 2 on next-gen tech sounds fucking awesome. Especially after what Remedy said about the new face-tech they were using for their new project and bodly saying that LA Noire’s face-tech was nothing in comparison, something along those lines. On top of that Sam Lake teased Alan Wake stuff last year before E3 but nothing happened then. And in January of this year they teased it again, something Alan Wake was gonna be announced this year.

I was talking about this with someone recently and he said…the problem with Alan Wake 2 and MS is, is that AW ‘only’ sold 2 million copies, with PC combined it’s more than 2 million though. But apparently that’s not enough for MS to publish a second one he said. I hope that’s BS, cause fuck you MS if thats true. You should embrace this title.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Tech-N9ne

I’m confused, what did Sony show that so fantastic that Microsoft needs to top it?

Better hardware is a given, I’m sure whatever the difference in the processing power of both console would not be noticeable in a game, just like 360 vs PS3.

Streaming games? Please, form my OnLive experience no thank you.

What else is so groundbreaking with PS4? Nothing as of yet, just copying tech pioneered by other companies.

At the end of the day, especially if both consoles launch in the same window, most people who got only PS3 will go get a PS4, most people who go only an Xbox will get the next Xbox.

People like me who got both an Xbox and PS3, will go get the console they enjoyed the most first. In my case I spent 90% of this gen on my Xbox and will get that first and a PS4 later.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Moonwalker1982

For me it’s only going to depend on the launch games and price too. Even though people around me are expecting Microsoft’s console to be a lot less powerful than the PS4, i am not expecting that at all. So if the specs are similar, i should be good with the new Xbox when it comes to multiplatform titles like Watch_Dogs and Destiny, which the latter releases in 2014 anyway. Of course an awesome exclusive launch game is also a plus and i am very curious what MS will have to offer. PS4 offers Killzone, which is quite awesome. Thing is…i wonder if us Europeans will even see the PS4 this year.

#48 1 year ago
  49. xXNapsterManXx

At the talking about why the Xbox is the home of cod it’s because the Xbox controller is perfectly designed for Fps. Research has been done that show the cascaded analog sticks are more natural in the hands making them more comfortable and giving better control.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Moonwalker1982

Yeah i agree, the controller is perfect for shooters. It really is near perfect IMO anyway, and i hope so much MS won’t change too much with the new one.

Anyway…exactly HOW caught off guard was MS? ;)

#50 1 year ago
  51. Gadzooks!

#47

Well there are 2 things MS need to do, or they are dead in the water:

1) Show that gamers and developers are the absolute top priority. Sony absolutely nailed the ‘tone’ of their show with the message: “This machine is for you guys (devs) to easily make stuff for those guys (gamers). That is all.”

2) Beat the PS4 spec. Not match it, but beat it.

The entire world hates MS right now. I mean they really hate MS. On equal terms I think Xbox would die in months. The only reason the 360 kicked so much ass was because the PS3 is utter garbage. PS4 seems to have fixed everything that sucked about the PS3.

A sober, focussed Sony like we appear to have now is not something MS can afford to be complacent with.

A Kinect-centric, media-focussed machine/show will end the Xbox. I’m 100% certain of it.

I honestly don’t know if MS have it in them to innovate enough to counter the PS4.

It’s not about WOW factor or gimmicks. Sony just have not made any mistakes, and MS have not had that situation to deal with before.

#51 1 year ago
  52. Tech-N9ne

The entire world hates MS right now? Really!

Well no need to reply to you, obvious u live in some fantasy fanboy world.

#52 1 year ago
  53. Beta

My only fear with the new Xbox is of it being a Kinect focused multimedia player. This seems to be the way the 360 is heading and while some may enjoy that, at the end of the day I buy a games console to play games not browse the internet or watch TV or be wowed by gimmicks (Which is why I find the share function on PS4 rather boring). I have a PC and a set top box for that.

Atm I’m leaning towards PS4 as my first buy, but only because I know nothing about how Microsoft will approach the next gen yet.

*Also because I was impressed with the tone of Sony’s reveal in taking design input from devs. Wonder if MS has done the same.

#53 1 year ago
  54. EZXPSnazzyPanic

I was actually Impressed with Sony their focus was spot on and they delivered an epic show they need to keep this path up more new IP’s sequals and focus on the games focus on building up that fan base. I’m not gonna lie I like the Xbox as a brand right now but Sony has impressed so far not convinced yet though let’s seewhat microsoft have got they will need to pull out some massive wameys here. Fable 4, Halo 5 cod partnerships and well alot more innovation in tech and IP’s to impress.

#54 1 year ago
  55. Gadzooks!

#52

I exaggerate, obviously, but the message is pretty clear: Gaming forums are only a slice of the wider community, but they are almost devoid of positive comments with respect to MS.

Sony, on the other hand have gained tremendous support for things like PSN+ and opening up for Valve and MMO’s.

BTW, which fanboy side would class me on? I’m intrigued…

#55 1 year ago
  56. reask

@ 47
    I was,nt slagging either or but just giving my opinion on where this gen is ending really.
    IMO Sony made mistakes at the beginning of the PS3 such as price, no rumble, average launch games, inferior online service, big delays in games like mgs4 gran turismo.

I personally felt they were sitting on the high ground coming off the ps2 success.

Now as this gen comes to an end MS appear to have let a lot of there momentum evaporate with only a hanful of exclusives whilst Sony have been plugging away at the games and the likes of the + service which has evolved into an excellent service.

Just so you know and the older posters here would confirm this I was a 360 man for most of this gen and own both but I have been spending most of my time on the PS3 over the last 18 months or so as I just seem to get better value out of it and the few exclusives MS have left is not enough to change that.

I want both to do well next gen and I certainly hope MS come up with the goods as far as gaming goes and shag the entertainment end of it such as gimmicky kinnect things.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Samoan Spider

@56 By virtue of being online forums for people to rant, you really only ever hear the bad things. They are a very small slice of the wider audience. 95% of the PS4 and Xbox720 buying public don’t even know the thing was announced the other day or that the 720 will get a showing in April.
    We are the more hardcore gamers so we take an interest. The Fifa, CoD and JustDance buying public are not like us. Look at the fact that games that get battered for being piss poor like Aliens, ends up top of the charts. The wider audience doesn’t see and hear what we do. They do appreciate Netflix, Kinect, Facebook integration and the rest.
    Don’t be as naive as your hyperbole might suggest you are. No one is going to fail so long as they deliver on what they promise.

#57 1 year ago
  58. Beta

I’ll be honest I’d love to see both do well. Competition is what drives companies to try harder for our business.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Moonwalker1982

Sony did indeed grab alot of new IPs the last few years, sadly alot of them ‘flopped’ in terms of sales too. PS All Stars didn’t too well if i remember correctly, was Motorstorm ever a huge success? Then you got things like Warhawk and Starhawk. So while they all are new IPs..they didn’t do too well.

It remains to be seen how many IPs we’ll see on PS4. But that of course goes for MS too. As for the Xbox 720, even if they do bring a lot of apps and shit like Netflix, i have no problem with that if they also bring some great games. Halo will always remain a strong force, but hopefully also something else next to that and Fable, Forza and Gears. I do remember lots of articles on VG247 through the years about studios that were hiring people for new next-gen Xbox projects. Certainly not all of them can be casual crap ;)

But like Giga says here:

Maybe it really won’t be what we all think it will be. I’m really curious. Read his second reply.

#59 1 year ago
  60. reask

@ 60
    I read that and it spiked my interest tbh.
    Knowing me I will probably end up getting both anyway. :)

#60 1 year ago
  61. Tech-N9ne

#56

Yea, you over exaggerated. Gaming forums are full of fan-boys.

I do agree with some points, but saying MS is not focus on gaming is kinda ridiculous. Its the top selling console in the US for the past 24 months.

Show that gamers and developers are the absolute top priority? How can you be a console manufacturer and not do that? Sony and Microsoft has always done that, what I think they need todo now is try to make easier for smaller developer, like iPad game developer, to make and release games on their new consoles. And allow for .99 cent price point. Else if Apple make an Apple TV you can play games on both Microsoft and Sony will have issues.

I also agree MS needs more value for Gold subscribers, they have actually started some exclusive deals for Gold members but no where as good as PSN+ deals.

I agree with you on MMO’s, and I’m pretty sure that will happen as for Valve good luck to Sony on that one, let see how that partnership hold up when the steam-boxes are released.

#61 1 year ago
  62. Ge0force

I agree with Gadzooks. MS lost lots of respect from both devs and gamers: devs are tired of MS’ ridiculous rules for creating xbox games and the lack of self-publushing, gamers are tired of getting always the same exclusive IP’s, their focus on Kinect shovelware, the growing amount of ads, paying for p2p gaming and monetizing of services that are completely free elsewhere.

What Microsoft needs imo:

- A few new, fresh IP’s in diverse genres instead of more brainless shooters doing more of the same with better graphics

- One or more core Kinect games that are actually fun to play. Oh, and are actually better with Kinect.

- Free online gaming, and an optional payed subscription that gives more value than access to free services.

- An open mind to indie games and new ideas, instead of throwing money to buy exclusivity for already proven concepts.

#62 1 year ago
  63. DrDamn

Sony have clearly fixed quite a few of the problems they had last time, but I think its still worth remembering that one off their problems was over promising and under delivering. There is still a long way to go yet.

Specs can fall by the way side a little. Promises broken. I hope they keep it up and deliver, but there are still some twists and turns to this tale I think.

#63 1 year ago
  64. Ge0force

#64 Over promising and under delivering about Kinect didn’t prevent MS to sell 20.000.000 of those devices ;)

#64 1 year ago
  65. Tech-N9ne

#63

I agree with most of you points, but this ad whining is getting ridiculous. Its a game and media device/service you get ads on the latest games and movies, its not like its Burger King or Coke ads. There is one ad tile on the bottom right of each dashboard page, half the time i don’t even notice it.

With all the stuff Sony is adding to PSN online services for the PS4 its highly unlikely to be free. I’m pretty sure they would said that if it was.

What I total hate with Xbox online is forcing people to pay for gold to use Netflix or even IE, which is totally silly and greedy. But to play online games is totally justified and Sony wishes they could have done the same. There is no difference they are both companies with the same goal of making money.

#65 1 year ago
  66. DrDamn

It’s not just direct ads. The majority of the pages and information you look through are essentially adverts. The is so much frippery and guff that to get to where you want you tend to wade through all the crap MS want you to look at first. If the Dash let you fully customise the front-end like a phone, or a Wii-U or Vita for that matter, it would be much, much better.

#66 1 year ago
  67. Tech-N9ne

#67

Indeed, yea I agree a bit more customization of the home page would be nice. But I still don’t see how the way it is now now is such a big deal.

The PS3 home screen is just the same, PSN+ or not.

#67 1 year ago
  68. DrDamn

Disagree about the PS3 home screen – at least in terms of accessiblity. Adverts for games are minimal and restricted to a particular place. From boot up I can get to my games collection (sorted into folders as I categorise them) very quickly and easily.

#68 1 year ago
  69. Tech-N9ne

Every time I put on my PS3 its takes me to “Whats New” and starts show latest games and sometime game news , which some people consider to be ads. No different from the what happens when I put on my Xbox.
    Maybe u can change this behavior on the PS3, but its not an issue for me.

#69 1 year ago
  70. Ge0force

#66 I don’t think Axe Spray is game-related :p

I’m whining because those ads are still visible when I pay for premium Xbox Live Gold subscription, and that MS is pulling more and more advertising partners to the Xbox.

There is no indication that online gaming will be payed on PS4. Some Gakai streaming functions (full game demo’s tru streaming etc) probably are PS+ or premium only, but p2p gaming will not. They kept online gaming on Vita still free, despite extra services like cross-game chat and Near. Sony confirmed in several interviews in the past few months that they have no plans to change this.

So for now, Xbox is the only platform where you have to pay to host your own games, since that’s exactly what P2P-gaming is.

#69 What’s new can be deactivited in the option menu, xbox live ads can not.

#70 1 year ago
  71. freedoms_stain

@70, you can set whether you want to see “What’s New” at start up in the System settings.

If you set it to No you start on the Games tab unless you have a disc in the tray, in which case it will land on the appropriate tab for that disc.

#71 1 year ago
  72. DrDamn

As mentioned above you can turn off going there on boot. You can also put your game content into albums and display them that way – hence a limited form of customisation too.

#72 1 year ago
  73. ysleiro

@51 Dude you live in LA-LA land. MS is hated by gamers? Yeah I guess gamers that were born yesterday and don’t realize what MS ushered in with their online capabilities. Gamers that don’t value a company updating software non-stop for years.

MS needs to appeal more to DEVS? I agree that MS needs to always appeal to devs but let’s be clear on something. The more Traditional DEV friendly of the 2 is MS. Sony’s the one that shipped a PS3 without an SDK using an architecture DEVS (like Carmack) told them was not how games are made. Lo and behold 6 years later they get the point. Now the PS4 comes with a DEV friendly architecture.

MS just needs to better appeal to small start up DEVS (small guys), regarding the traditional DEVS MS just needs to keep doing what it has always done.

Moving on. In order to not be “dead in the water” MS’s Xbox needs to be specced better than the PS4???? Where is your common sense? MS’s strengths lies in Software development. All the Xbox has to do is be close to the PS3. MS then plays to their strengths by levering their software development capabilities.

Your whole assessment was ass. Sorry if I come off like a prick but freshen up on some common sense my man.

#73 1 year ago
  74. OlderGamer

Gotta pretty much go with what Gad said. I am one of many xb360 owners that supported the crap out of the platform early in this gen and now is against buying a new one. I just feel like a walking wallet. Over monitized and exploited.

Unless MS blow the roof off the place when they reveal their next system, screw em. I have a WiiU. I have a nice PC. And I can have a PS4.

And that is another thing. I can make a case for Nintendo. I can make a case for Steam/PC. I can not make a solid enough case for owning BOTH a PS4 and XBXNXT. Those two machines are going to live in the same eco system. They are going to offer the same kinds of experiences and services. I know Tea is prolly sputtering about Sony exclusives. Or Polly is mumbling something about Halo. But for me, I could take em or leave em. Been there done that, not interested in playing last gens games with a new coat of paint. It isn’t that I hate those games, but if I own a PS4 I won’t miss the XBox and vica versa.

#74 1 year ago
  75. DrDamn

@OG
    I’m in that place too. Since the PS1 I’ve ended up with every console released, normally on or around release. Partly due to other pressures – like a family to feed for example – but also the sort of reasons you allude to I’m likely looking at one or the other of the MS and Sony offerings.

At this point though I’m not discounting MS. They have shown very little, we have rumours and conjecture. I’ve got some expectations – but I’m not calling it yet. MS have the opportunity to pull something great out the bag still and Sony certainly have the opportunity (and the track record) to stumble.

#75 1 year ago
  76. Moonwalker1982

Me too, but also a bit afraid. I wonder if a new way of gaming is needed. The controller is fine as it is. The new way of gaming Kinect was supposed to do…didn’t really do its job. But we’ll see soon enough hopefully. :)

Different genres? Shit i sure hope so man. They would spark my interest right away if they come with a action/adventure or horror game like Alan Wake 2, along with a new shooter..perhaps from Rare? Who knows they still can do it. Maybe a new racing game, that stuff is inevitable. It’s going to be interesting, because we have no idea what to expect.

#76 1 year ago
  77. Gadzooks!

Pins allow a custom view of games and apps. Accessible via one ‘down’ and one click.

The ads don’t bother me one bit.

#77 1 year ago
  78. Moonwalker1982

The ads on 360 for me are all about gaming all the time. Maybe different in the US, but i’ve never seen a axe ad on my dashboard. And i’m not bothered by it one bit either. I don’t see the problem. I can easily check out what deals MS has to offer for the week and when i want to check demos or videos i can go there no problem.

#78 1 year ago
  79. OlderGamer

“MS have the opportunity to pull something great out the bag still and Sony certainly have the opportunity (and the track record) to stumble.”

Very much agree, Doc.

#79 1 year ago
  80. CPC_RedDawn

With Windows 8 being a complete and utter flop. Please dont say it isn’t because it is no doubt a complete and utter mess at the moment. The only reason it has 2% of the total market is because every new PC and Laptop comes with it preinstalled. I have lost count on how many laptops I have had given to me asking me to put and I quote “A proper version of Windows on it!” (ie Windows 7 or sometimes even earlier with people asking me to put XP back on lol).

They will without a doubt be wanting to make money and lots of it. I bet that the “720″ will come with some shruken down version of Windows 8 RT with very basic Windows-like functions.

It will come with Kinect 2.0 and this is where they will focus their efforts. They will advertise the hell out of this. On the back of the success of Kinect for 360 which was the fastest selling consumer electronics gadget ever.

The machine will be more powerful than a 360 or PS3 but I really dont think it will be anywhere near as poweful as PS4 as some of the rumours are suggesting its only about 20% less powerful if that. I find this highly unlikely.

It will be offered as some monthly fee basis payment such as a mobile phone where you pay £30-40 a month for the machine and its features so the box will be free.

It wont come with Hulu, Netflix, or Lovefilm, Microsoft will offer its own or will have an exclusive deal with one company for its machine access to this will be included in the monthly price.

Some form of free Video calling will be available like Skype, this too also included in the monthly price.

There will be a slew of Kinect enabled games, and there will be hardcore games but mainly from third parties and not from Microsoft. Only Halo, Gears, and maybe a few other will be exclusives.

It will also have a variant of the Windows 8 app store too. This will also come tied in with Windows Phones.

Microsoft will become the “new” apple, weather or not they succeed will be another thing.

They will be the “Wii” of this generation. So if you love games get a PS4, if you love Nintendo get a Wii U, if you love streaming films, talking to people on video chat, and dancing around your living room… get a 720.

#80 1 year ago
  81. Moonwalker1982

Please let me borrow your crystal ball for a sec, alright? Please dude that’s just ridiculous. None of us have any idea what they will do. What you are saying here would mean they are going to be losing all their customers who bought the 360 for games and nothing but games. I think you are very wrong there. Time will tell.

Even if its true that the specs are less powerful than PS4…that should not be a huge problem. Look at 360 and PS3 for example….and who’s to say they didn’t change those leaked/rumoured specs already? WHo’s to say they won’t surprise everyone with 16GBDDR5 in it…for example?

#81 1 year ago
  82. ysleiro

@81 TL;DR this guy has a magic crystal ball.

Your arguments are flawed. A big reason any Windows OS does good is because it’s loaded into PCs that are currently selling.

If Windows 7 wouldn’t have been pre-installed it’s sales would have also SEVERELY suffered.

“They will sell the hell out of Kinect, and its features, and it will 50/50 be completely DRM locked. ”

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.. MAKE sense! What does that even mean?… and don’t say: “I don’t know but it gets the people going”.

#82 1 year ago
  83. Moonwalker1982

Interesting..more news:

#83 1 year ago
  84. woe

Polygon mentioned before that both MS and Sony were to have a Apple like press conferences.

#84 1 year ago
  85. Da Man

#71 You sure use lots of text to say phuck all.. And poorly worded at that.

#85 1 year ago
  86. CPC_RedDawn

Where did I day THIS WILL HAPPEN!??

I was stating my views on what I think will happen. I have no idea what Microsoft will announce or what they will do. Its me speculating. What I said seems the most logical direction for Microsoft to take. They have done so before, by relying on third party software to drive their machine. Whilst they focus on the hardware side by trying to make it appeal to a wider audience with easier to use software and adding more features like Netflix, Youtube, and a Web Browser.

Kinect was massive for them, and what company wouldn’t want to follow that up. By offering the console for free on a subscription based model people would flock to the stores in droves to get one if the monthly fee is reasonable and they offer a good service.

Who knows SONY might offer something similar, have the PS4 for free and then offer a monthly subscription and you get full access to the library of games with Gaiki…?

Also I meant they will advertise the hell out of Kinect 2.0 and its features.

The system will be DRM locked much like Apple and their Iphones/Ipads etc.

But then again this is me just speculating.

Also Windows 8 is a massive flop, no matter how you look at it. I own and run a PC hardware store and the amount of Windows 8 copies we have sold is a joke compared to Windows 7 and even Vista which sold out on day one and we had over 300 copies in store. Windows 8 we have 125 left out of 200 and Windows 7 we are still selling pretty well it sold out by day three after it launched I put that down to piracy though.

#86 1 year ago
  87. Moonwalker1982

But dude…if MS is gonna count on the third party again, who’s to say people won’t go over to PS4 then? PS4 is gonna be one powerful beast and MS knows that now too. They will have to come with at least a few interesting exclusives for their fanbase to stay intact.

#87 1 year ago
  88. Tech-N9ne

“The system will be DRM locked much like Apple and their Iphones/Ipads”? LOL. What do you mean? You wanna borrow and exchange iphone apps now?

Load of sh*t.

#88 1 year ago
  89. fearmonkey

I’m with OG, I loved my Xbox 360 and Xbox but the 2nd half of the 360′s life was all about Kinect, services, dashboard, and video streaming. All we get Ip wise from MS is Kinect titles, Halo, GOW, and fable. We havent seen any really great new IP from MS for a long time.

They really have let third party be the reason to own a 360, buy timed exclusivity to DLC and updates,etc etc. They haven’t invested in new IP in a long time. I hope they actually bring some out for the 720 launch.

If Alan wake 2 is a launch title, Id probably have to get one, or if it has a really great RPG that isn’t on PC and has some specific next xbox feature.

I hope MS wows me but im not actually counting on it.

#89 1 year ago
  90. Stephany Nunneley

@85 Thanks for that! Added.

#90 1 year ago
  91. Moonwalker1982

No problem Stephany. It’s awesome that you guys pay close attention to comments and edit the article with it. I apreciate that :D

#91 1 year ago