Knack is an action/platformer; more details on SCE Japan Studio’s PS4 title inside

Friday, 22nd February 2013 00:08 GMT By Phil Owen

The very first PS4 game that Sony showed off last night was a SCE Japan Studio product called Knack, and while the trailer demonstrated the game’s art style and tone, it wasn’t filled with information. Today, director Mark Cerny dumped some knowledge on us.

In a post on the US PlayStation Blog, Cerny went into a bit of detail into what exactly is the deal with Knack. And the deal is that it is an action/platformer in the vein of Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank.

Knack — which is the name of the playable main character, a robot, as well as the title of the game — is the result of The Doctor combining a bunch of ancient relics into humanoid form and giving them consciousness. As the game progress, he can find more relics and integrate them into himself, allowing him to change from a tiny little guy into something. You can see what I mean in the screenshot below.

Beyond that, Knack can also incorporate other random things into his body, so it’s not all about relics. Cerny says this gives the game a Katamari Damacy-type feel at times.

The story of Knack is about a goblin invasion, but there’s some post-modernism mixed as we realize that maybe humanity is a bigger villain. You know.

Wanna see the Knack trailer again? You can find it in our collection of all the PS4 trailers we saw yesterday.

1. Beta

I think this game looks fun :) Glad to see the PS4 line up is not all sci-fi shooter stuff.

2. Erthazus

My issue is that Knack is not a very compelling character.

Spyro return or Crash would be so much better.

3. Beta

That would be brilliant. But Activision own both of those franchises now I believe so it’s not up to Sony.

4. melonbuster1

Not a reason to buy the system. . It looKs like crap.. one of the worst games they slowed

5. Sanwiches

I just think it’s what Marc Cerny wanted to make….

Like someone said, they could’ve made a game for the grown-ups as a launch title, since they have the most money and are the early “adopters”.
    Anyway, I don’t mind. We aren’t going to dictate what games developers do.

6. MadFingerz

Yeah, I do like the graphis but the character looks so lame. Jak and Dexter with PS4 graphics, now that would be awesome.

7. The_Red

Hate the art direction but my god, the gameplay feels like original Crash trilogy feel was simply sublime. They were the very best of 3D platforming.

8. KAP

Funny how we crave for new IP yet when we get one we moan for old IP with better graphics.
    Fuck me, if someone one day input every persons brains into a computer it’ll sound retarded.

I for one get it, he’s wanted to build a fun title away from all the realism that you expect today. And go back to the fun feel again. The days where you didn’t need to shoot someone online to feel your having a good time.

I’d play this title. Looks really fun.

9. lexph3re

@8 it’s the damned if you do damned if you don’t debacle. It’s why debating with select people is just utterly pointless.

10. Beta

We barely know anything about the ip yet and people are already slagging it off.

This is exactly why devs are unlikely to create new ip. Because people won’t even give it a chance. :P

11. manamana

I hate to admit it but Ertha isn’t wrong with the not so compelling character. The rest of the game looks like good, old fun.