John Carmack praises PS4: “Sony made wise engineering choices”

Friday, 22nd February 2013 09:37 GMT By Nick Akerman

Despite signalling his concern for next-gen consoles at the end of last year, id Software’s John Carmack has praised the PlayStation 4 hardware.

Carmack, who is expected to be working on DOOM 4, tweeted his satisfaction with Sony’s PS4 decisions:

“I can’t speak freely about PS4, but now that some specs have been made public, I can say that Sony made wise engineering choices,” he said.

Thanks, CVG.

1. Erthazus

Ofc, because it is a PC now. :D LOL

I hope people will open it so you can install Windows 7-8 on it just for fun.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DrDamn

There is a lot more to the engineering side of things than making it from similar components to a PC.

#2 1 year ago
  3. FabioPal

@2 +1 Even because they’ve said (I guess, did they?) that it’s a SOC (System On a Chip) that is very different from a usual PC.

Explaining the advantages of this solution would take a very long post but, trust me, it’s a very efficient architecture!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

@2,3, PS4 is a supercharged PC. End of story.
    Even their guy at the stage said that.

It’s microarchitecture is almost the same as on my PC right now.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/inside-the-playstation-4-a-balanced-approach-to-building-a-game-console/ – Fact.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Samoan Spider

There’s pro’s and con’s to everything and designing anything is about compromises but from what I’ve read he’s dead right. Now, if only he’d get back to making Doom4 and perhaps Quake5 (if only to satisfy my own selfish wants and needs ;))

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthazus

“Quake5″

I want it to be like Quake 3 so much and maybe something from Quake 2 singleplayer. Would be fantastic.

#6 1 year ago
  7. mkotechno

Great, now there is no excuse to make garbage games like Rage.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Samoan Spider

@6 Yeah, I agree there, but I’m also in two minds. The other part of me wants Quake 1 darkness and pace but maybe that’s just my fond memories of high speed gaming.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Christopher Jack

@3, That’s just what AMD brand as their APU, my laptop has one+ a discrete GPU that is capable of crossfire with these APU. I guess you could also claim that Intel uses SoC with their Intel HD bullshit. I’d imagine that they designed it with an additional discrete GPU on there PS4 because I don’t think any APU will be individually capable of those kind of graphics for at least 3 years.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

CPU is a PC CPU. GPU is a PC GPU. Engineering is about how all the components are designed to fit together, communicate and work together.

You said it was a PC first, now it’s a supercharged PC. How do you supercharge a PC if the components aren’t high end and aren’t upclocked? Through good engineering and architecture.

#10 1 year ago
  11. manamana

@1 since when became installing Windows fun?

#11 1 year ago
  12. FabioPal

@4 Fact: you don’t know what you’re talking about.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Mike W

well maybe he can make a game that’s actually good this time. ;)

#13 1 year ago
  14. The_Red

Who cares whether or not PS4 is a PC?
    If it helps developers make more games for it that look and run decently enough, then it is a winner. If it makes the development harder and results in a PS3 vs 360 support situation then all the tech and architecture uniqueness in the world won’t matter.

So far, PS4 has shown some seriously strong support for developers (From PC guys like Carmack to console devs like Square) and that is a huge plus.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

It’s not a PC. End of.

On another note, Carmack’s blessing is high praise indeed!

#15 1 year ago
  16. sh4dow

Same stuff as on CVG and probably everywhere else.

Saying “made wise engineering choices” does NOT necessarily contradict “Sony and Microsoft are going to fight over gigaflops and teraflops and GPUs and all this. In the end, it won’t make that much difference”!

It can also very well mean “they assembled the fairly low tech hardware in the best way possible”, prioritized in the right ways, etc.
    Not that it is great overall.

#16 1 year ago
  17. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

“they assembled the fairly low tech hardware in the best way possible”

I’m guessing you hail from the year 2021. Welcome future traveller.

#17 1 year ago
  18. _LarZen_

@15 Then you don’t know what a PC really is. Kind of sad…

#18 1 year ago
  19. Samoan Spider

@15 to be fair #18 is right. Here’s a quote for you:
    ‘A personal computer (PC) is any general-purpose computer whose size, capabilities, and original sales price make it useful for individuals, and which is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator.’

Now if it were purely games, then thats not general purpose. However, you have a camera, text, video and voice chat, movie viewing, internet browsing (I guess), music playing……Blah blah blah. That makes it general purpose I’d say.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Sini

ps4 emulator on pc. that’s what it comes down to. the closer the architecture, the easier to achieve.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Hellhound30x

Says the guy who made Rage… great..

#21 1 year ago
  22. Lord Gremlin

This is bad. Really. If this guy says system is good – you bet your arse it’s shit.

GODDAMMIT! I’ll have to move to PC next gen…

#22 1 year ago
  23. blackdreamhunk

Pc gaming and p gamers the borg has turned console gaming into a pc the Borg!

We are The Borg

@15 a blessing from john carmack mean garbage he is a has been in the gaming Industry. His last game was a flop and he hates his fanbase.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Cobra951

PC architecture makes it easier on developers who cut their teeth on PCs. Easier means more quality software in less time, and lower cost. It’s really that simple. It took Sony a while longer than the competition to figure that out. But figure it out they did, and I’m very happy about it.

#24 1 year ago
  25. harr0w

Carmack`s a clever cunt he knows what hes talking about from time to time. The PS4 looks pretty good i guess. But i have a feeling Microsoft are going to wipe there arse`s with that presentation when they reveal whatever they reveal or it will be so monumentally in the other direction that they will kill the xbox brand balmers head will crack like a runny egg.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Beta

Sounds like devs in general are positive about it.

Which is very refreshing to hear after the PS3 debacle of being so difficult to develop for.

#26 1 year ago
  27. xxJPRACERxx

PC is more than a CPU. For example, to be considered a true PC the BIOS must meet certain criteria that specific to the PC platform. I don’t think the PS4 meet these specifications…

Instead let’s say the PS4 use common PC parts, but they are put together in a way that is different than true PC specs, like type of bus, memory controller, etc… There’s much more than just CPU.

#27 1 year ago