PS4 firmware updates could be relegated to the background, says Yoshida

Thursday, 21st February 2013 12:18 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 firmware updates could be so seamless that you’d never know they were happening in the background. That’s the ambition of SCEE president Shuhei Yoshida.

Anyone who has ever moaned about yet another PS3 update will surely enjoy this sentiment. Speaking with Eurogamer, Yoshida spooled off Sony’s five principles for PS4 – Simple, Immediate, Social, Integrated, Personalised – and admitted that even Sony doesn’t like announcing new firmware updates.

So keeping in line with Sony’s goals to make PS4 ‘simple’ and ‘immediate’, Yoshida said, “Number one: it has to be very simple to use. And number two: it has to be immediate. It’s not easy to do. If it was easy we would have done it already. So unless we refocus our effort to these things, the system will never be easy to use or immediate.”

When asked if this would mean a move away from intrusive and clumsy firmware updates, he replied that he hoped so, and added, “It’s about the implementation phase. It’s all about how it gets implemented. So we have to wait for the final product, but our goal is always like that. So there will always be firmware updates.”

That said, Yoshida wants to relegate these updates to the background, rather than having them hinder the experience, “So it’s already been done. Like the PS Plus service actually does it, where it’s downloaded but it doesn’t install. So it’s kind of half-baked.

“So we wanted to make it so people don’t have to wait for anything. If you have one hour of your time, you want to spend one hour playing games, and that’s our goal.”

Would this be a dream come true for you Sony fans out there? Let us know below.

Meanwhile, get every shred of information and ever trailer from last night’s PS4 reveal here.

1. Tech-N9ne

Thank god for this one, phew!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Samoan Spider

Finally, this is a major gripe of mine. Its ticking more boxes for me with every news article.

#2 1 year ago
  3. lexph3re

Could be…. but will it? XD

#3 1 year ago
  4. deathm00n

“If you have one hour of your time, you want to spend one hour playing games”, this is what is wrong with PS3 sometimes I get mad at it. “You want to play just 30 minutes before going to work? Here have this 30 minute download of a patch that does nothing you can actually see!”

#4 1 year ago
  5. freedoms_stain

PS+ subscribers don’t notice updates.

#5 1 year ago
  6. theevilaires

^ Umm yea I do I have mine set at a time when the console goes into download/upload mode. I should change it to like 4am instead.

#6 1 year ago
  7. xino

also i bloody hope when I buy a new game and wanted to play it for first time, i DON’T have to start doing patches and updates or making installations:/

#7 1 year ago
  8. Kuwabara

i don’t think we need a new console for another 2 or 3 years.. when i think of next gen i envisage massive draw distance with so much objects on one screen. I want epicness and immersion. I want to be walking in a game and have the sky change that it scares me, as though a massive object was heading towards earth, i want to feel what an alien invasion would feel like, having thousands or millions of space crafts descending from the sky. i want to be in awe with all the details filling up the world. I’m not sure if the ps4 is capable. I hope Ai and physics is greatly improved.

#8 1 year ago
  9. sg1974

And another thing. When I download a game from the store, I should get the whole game – patches and all. Last year I downloaded something, installed it, yet when I hit X to start it up I was told I had to download 2.5GB of patches first. Why didn’t I just get them in the first place?

#9 1 year ago