PS4: current-gen PSN purchases & saves won’t carry over

Thursday, 21st February 2013 15:33 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 may be getting backwards compatibility in the form of streaming service Gaikai, but see all of your current PSN purchases and game saves? You can kiss all of those goodbye in the next generation.

Speaking with Engadget, SCEE boss Shuhei Yoshida said that PS3 discs will not be compatible with PS4, but that it would consider transferring some games over, as long as they aren’t too demanding in the emulation department, due to the PS3 and PS4 architectures being quite different. Current-gen PSN games will not make the transition either.

He added that Sony would consider some PSN and PS3 titles, and make them playable “in some form”, suggesting that cloud based, server side catalogues of older titles would be possible, but that was part of the company’s long-term strategy.

That’s it, it’s there in black and white. Now tell us what you think below.

We’ve got every shred of information, screen and trailer from the PS4 announcement right here.

Thanks Joystiq.

1. Joe Anderson

This was expected so I’m not too fussed. We already knew PS3 games wouldn’t carry over. Sony will make up for this somehow, I’m sure of that.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Joe Musashi

So long as my purchases still work on the machine I bought them for, then I don’t see what the big deal is.

JM

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

That’s again what i hate about consoles. With each generation Sony/MS and Nintendo asks you tu buy games again.

I hope that Steambox will do everything right. When i purchase my PC or any device that has Steam, I don’t buy games twice and my saves are always in the cloud.

It will be interesting to see if Steambox will sell us games twice.

#3 1 year ago
  4. SlayerGT

Expected. I don’t sell my good hardware anyways. Would have been possible thou if there were more fans of Cell architecture right? If we were looking at a PS4 with 6 Cells in it..it probly would have been real easy.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

Yeah I don’t see the big fuss, that was expected.

But arguably it would be kinda bitter to pay for the same game a second time on the PS4. Having bought the original should at least earn you a discount, no?

#5 1 year ago
  6. CyberMarco

Hopefully this is only for full-retail PSN games,like Infamous, Uncharted etc. and not for digital titles like Journey, Limbo and the like.

Anyhow, not really bothered as I haven’t bought any PSN title and I don’t plan to either, maybe some cross-buy games that work on the Vita. I don’t trust digital distribution on closed formats, except for PC/Steam.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Bomba Luigi

Can be a Pain in the Ass when you Buy something like a new Dragon Age and you cant import save Games because of the Console. There are Games out there where that is a really important Thing.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Beta

Completely expected.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Telepathic.Geometry

I think I’m out… I’ll keep playing PS3 for another year or two, and then I’ll get a Steambox.

#9 1 year ago
  10. RazorBladeJam

Howl! Rage! Bloodshed… Now I’ve got to keep my PS3!

What will I trade in now? I suppose I could get a cheap WiiU… :-P

#10 1 year ago
  11. viralshag

If so, I don’t see why people shouldn’t be mad about it.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Samoan Spider

Completely expected because cell programmed games aren’t compatible without a massive rewrite, but now is this a point where MS won’t stumble because they’re already on x86 architecture and imitating a 360 should be easier for their new device. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Sowhat

This is nothing more than a lame journalistic attempt to incite the masses. The troll face picture and the “get angry now” in the title serve nothing to this non-news article.

Nintendo is doing something similar to this by charging $0.50 – $1.00 to redownload games you already own for the Wii U. Microsoft, when they finally announce their next generation hardware, will probably make you have to dance a specific dance with the Kinect to get the games you’ve gotten from them again – or – you’ll have to be an Xbox Gold member.

I really don’t understand why the pitchforks and torches come out for anything Sony does. Having to repurchase was completely expected because the software is probably completely new. Even if it’s not so what? Do you really need to Final Fantasy 7 on yet another console? If this is your first console (the PS4) then it doesn’t matter in the least. But if you have a PS3 then you can get FF7 and hook that up for when you want to play it. These consoles are small and are easily portable.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DSB

@13 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

I’m pretty sure you need that.

#14 1 year ago
  15. MadFingerz

Not angry at all, at least it’s an excuse to still have the PS3 around, would hate to part with it :p

Well I’m not expecting to get it exactly on launch so by the time I do get it I’ll be so over with everything I got from PSN that I just won’t care.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Beta

I have a working PS3 and it isn’t going anywhere for a good while yet. Why would I care if they won’t carry over to my PS4..?

#16 1 year ago
  17. Lord Gremlin

I mostly buy Vita and PSP stuff nowadays… It will just stay on my vita.

#17 1 year ago
  18. diego-rbb-93

WHAT I EXPECT FROM SONY…

Ps Cloud launch on PS3. Games bought on PSN compatible at the moment with Ps Cloud.

Ps Cloud inside PS4. At least, you are not losing your stuff for PS gaming on PS4.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Dave Cook

@13 “This is nothing more than a lame journalistic attempt to incite the masses.”

No, it’s not. I think it’s pissing in the face of consumers.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Gadzooks!

#13

The WiiU is 100% flawless backward compatible, no payment required.

You can optionally pay to redownload games with gamepad-only support.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Beta

Glad to see the troll face picture is gone anyway.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Dave Cook

@21 Yeah I was trying to make a point about sony letting down its customers, but it wasn’t the best way of doing so.

#22 1 year ago
  23. YoungZer0

Oh come on! You can’t tell me there isn’t a simple solution to the problem. That’s just fucking with the consumer and nothing more.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Beta

@22 That’s fair enough, it’s a bit annoying that they won’t carry over and I can understand why some may be angry.

But your purchases aren’t going anywhere, they’re still on your PS3/PSP/Vita.

#24 1 year ago
  25. OlderGamer

“So does this include indie games, movies, classic PS1 games etc? Anything you have bought from PSN?

If so, I don’t see why people shouldn’t be mad about it.”

+100

#25 1 year ago
  26. RazorBladeJam

@23, The simple solution is to keep your PS3.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Dark

Keep your ps3 then you are gauranted to be able to play your games

Problem solved.

#27 1 year ago
  28. laughing-gravy

@ #19 Yes it is! Did M$oft threaten to pull the nice big ad contract from you unless you said something bad about Sony’s new system? And the same goes for the ‘ I’m still on the fence article’, troll.

#28 1 year ago
  29. G1GAHURTZ

No biggie.

Who buys a £400 console to play last gen games?

#29 1 year ago
  30. Peetry

Yawn, non-issue

#30 1 year ago
  31. OlderGamer

All you “keep your PS3″ guys are being foolish. What it means is that at some point in the PS4 lifecycle support for those purchased games will be dropped.

MS did the same BS thing when transitioning from XB to XB360.

Gad is right, I can use all of my Wii purchases on my WiiU. It even transfered my game saves.

And Erth is right, I can use my old PC games on my new PC. And when I buy a new and different PC, guess what I can still use them.

This is a bit BS. I was thinking of redoing my PSN+ sub. I don’t think I will at this point. Really takes a lot of wind out of my sales, when thinking about PS products.

#31 1 year ago
  32. G1GAHURTZ

@28:

Stop being so paranoid.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Dave Cook

To everyone saying ‘just keep your PS3′. You shouldn’t have to. You’ve paid for your content, and shouldn’t be asked to pay for it again if you make the switch. Some of you will only be able to afford PS4 by trading in your PS3. Why should you be punished for that?

I seriously think this is a shit move on their part.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Kalain

I thought it would be obvious that they wouldn’t carry over due to the different architecture of the PS4 to the PS3.

No doubt they’ll re-do the PS3 games and tag them with UHD at the end, like they have done with the remakes this gen, just so you can play them on your PS4.

Anything to bring in revenue from people who will buy the same game over and over again on the new platforms is always in their plans. Its nasty and really does milk the consumers, but you will get people who will be WoW’ed easily and buy the ‘New, updated’ version.

There is a market for it and Sony will probably go for it…

#34 1 year ago
  35. DSB

Fanboy hysteria is a hell of a drug.

@33 Nobody’s pulled off backwards compatability yet though. They all said they would going into this generation, but lo and behold, they didn’t.

#35 1 year ago
  36. laughing-gravy

@#32 Not paranoid this is how M$oft work. Check out some of the articles on semiaccurate. Sites like gamespot etc all took money from them last gen to do exactly that. And where exactly did all the patent trolling come from? It only started when M$oft entered the console business.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Fin

I don’t understand the uproar.

They’re not going to release the same games on next-gen PSN, the architecture’s completely different. You bought them on PS3, you can play them on PS3. It’s no different to the lack of physical back-compat.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Gadzooks!

#35

Nintendo did flawless BC.

MS did partial BC (I still play xbox1 games weekly).

Sony did BC for a while.

#38 1 year ago
  39. OlderGamer

It is console thinking. And it is stuck in the past. There is zero reason to not build your platform going forward. Consumers should be able to build a digital profile/account of purchased content and have access to that content across different devices and yes different generational jumps.

The game saves, to me, are not a big deal. But the purchased content is huge. Now I wonder what MS will do? I had assumed(esp after buying a WiiU, and seeing Nintendo do it) that content already purchased will travel with you.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Phoenixblight

“You shouldn’t have to. You’ve paid for your content” Are you new to this gen? That is all that it has been because BC was either removed or it was totally borked.

The PS4 is using completely different architecture so Sony would have to find a way of emulating a PS3 to support the purchases made previously on the PS4 or find a way to port the catalog on to the PS4 both of which would be costly. I am fine with this as I plan on keeping my Ps3 is it really that hard to keep the system hooked up or to hook it up?

“I can use my old PC games on my new PC”

Not necessarily there are plenty of games that won’t play because of the transition from 98 to XP.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Fin

Not across generational jumps if the architecture changes. You can’t use software designed for PowerPC Macs on current Intel Macs.

#41 1 year ago
  42. DSB

@38 I actually owned a Wii, and it was not flawless.

You needed a gamecube controller and a memory card to make it work. That’s not exactly thought through.

Why the hell couldn’t you just use a proprietary Wii gamepad and the HD?

Keywords being “for a while”, “partial”.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Samoan Spider

@36 Without checking the website, ‘semiaccurate’ doesn’t sound like the type of name a trusted source should use. I know, book by its cover and all that but just my observation.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Dragon246

Now, lets be rational here. If this applies to ps1 downloads (which it will not probably), then its shit. But ps2 and ps3 ARE VERY HARD to emulate. Sorry if you expected otherwise, then you are damn wrong.

@Dave,
    Is it really pissing on the consumers? When was it announced that ps4 will play ps3 games? Maybe you were expecting too much. Its almost sure 720 will do the same.

Keep the ps3 then. Many people will do that, unless some stupid argument that “I have space for only one box” comes up.
    First world couch potatoes.
    And people want cheaper consoles……

#44 1 year ago
  45. Gadzooks!

#36

You are an idiot. Go away.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Hybridpsycho

@3 That’s again what I hate about Erth, he always finds random things to whine about.

No one is expecting you to buy the game again, and how is that with every new console? I’m pretty sure the PS3 is the only console they’ve actually done alot of “lets put this old game up here as well”.

You’ve bought the game on your PS3 and you can keep playing it on your PS3. No one at all is forcing you to buy the game again for the next console. What they do is actually put the effort into making some games (mostly our favs) available on the new console as well(which actually costs them money, backwards compatibility sucks because it limits the hardware unless you remake the games for the newer console) as a convenience for those who’d like to spend the money not to have two or three consoles in the living room.

@31 Playing old PC games on a new PC is quite the hassle mostly and not at all as easy as you make it sound. Also it’s not at all the same thing to keep playing the games on a PC.

Again, YOU CAN STILL PLAY YOUR GAMES ON YOUR PS3.

Overall any type of backwards compatibility is bullshit because it limits the new hardware more than most of you people know.

Consoles has always been like this and until we’ve come to a point where no real upgrades are needed (hardware or software) it will most likely continue to be this way.

HOW WILL I SURVIVE THIS?!?!?!

I’ll just put my PS3 up next to my PS4 and then I can swap between them in no time if I ever want to play the PS3 games again.

People are such bloody crybabies.

#46 1 year ago
  47. DrDamn

It depends on how any subsequent PS3 support through Gaikai is handled. PS4 clearly doesn’t support b/c with PS3 for technical reasons – unless there is something they aren’t telling us yet. Actual support is still a long term vision.

“SCE is exploring unique opportunities enabled by cloud technology with the long-term vision of making PlayStation libraries including an incredible catalog of more than 3000 PS3 titles that is unmatched in the industry, mostly ubiquitous on PS4.”

If PS3/PS2/PSOne titles are never supported (PSN, Retail, Indie, PSOne etc) then this is expected. Unfortunate but expected. If they add in support for some PS3 titles through Gaikai then they shouldn’t charge you again for download titles you already paid for. Though they may charge you for the Gaikai service in some way.

#47 1 year ago
  48. RazorBladeJam

@Dave, My PS3 PSN stuff won’t cross over? Oh noes Sony Suck!!

Have you asked Sony if you can redownload it for free from your PS4 PSN?

Has anyone?

#48 1 year ago
  49. Fin

Rereading it, I think this entire thing has been taken out of context.

Will PSN games designed to run on PS3 run on PS4? No.
    If Sony releases a PS1 emulator for PS4, will you have to rebuy PS1 games from PSN? No, that’s just ridiculous.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Dave Cook

@40 sure, the architecture is different, but why not make the games streamable via Gaikai at no charge if you previously bought a license? Gaikai uses their native tech, not yours. It is absolutely possible.

If I’m understanding this correctly, most of you aren’t bothered by this?

It sets a potential, worrying precedent for what will happen once everything goes digital, where publishers can hold you to ransom for whatever price they want because they lock down the content.

#50 1 year ago
  51. Eregol

@Dave Cook
    To be honest, we ask for our consoles to be cheap, but we ask for so much from them nowadays that it’s impossible for them to be so. Cuts need to be made.
    As such, backwards compatibility with disc and digital based releases isn’t really going to be feasible considering the wildly different architectures of the machines.

This is probably another reason why Sony got Gaikai. Will put their back catalogue on the service and allow you to stream it to your PS4 as part of your monthly subscription.
    No real biggy there. At least it’s not a second hand game blocker.

EDIT: Also, don’t forget, Nintendo started the precendent with WiiU. I also don’t recall howl’s of derision when it was annoucned NES games wouldn’t work on the shiny new SNES.

#51 1 year ago
  52. Beta

@46 +100

#52 1 year ago
  53. laughing-gravy

@#33 No your trolling. You really stuck to M$ofts script haven’t you?

#53 1 year ago
  54. Fin

Like I said, I think you’ve read far too much into it. From the article itself – “just confirmed to us that current-generation PSN titles won’t transfer across to the PlayStation 4.”

To me, that sounds like PSN games (Journey, Unfinished Swan, Dead Nation, etc) won’t transfer over.

#54 1 year ago
  55. Dave Cook

@51 “At least it’s not a second hand game blocker.”

Now that IS something we should all be thankful for. I wonder if it was a consideration at Sony some point down the line.

#55 1 year ago
  56. Bill_E_Talent

Well, this is unsurprising.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Joe Musashi

“You’ve paid for your content, and shouldn’t be asked to pay for it again”

You’re not being asked to. It will continue to work for the system you bought it for.

But there’s no obligation for on the part of someone who makes content today that says it will work on non-existent hardware that will come out in 8 years time. Or, if it doesn’t, to invest time and money making that change for absolutely no renumeration. And to spin this misconception as some sort of ‘right’ to which consumers should be upset about shows a huge lack of understanding of the topic (at best) or sensationlist straw-clutching (at worst).

29 makes a good point also.

JM

#57 1 year ago
  58. Dave Cook

@52 are you mental?

I own and enjoy both the PS3 and Xbox 360. They’re both brilliant.

#58 1 year ago
  59. SlayerGT

I’ve bought vinyl records, cassettes, cds, and digital copies of the same music. VHS, DVDs, Blurays, and digital copies of the same movies. This gamer entitlement shit makes me sick.

#59 1 year ago
  60. DSB

@55 That’s already happened Dave, the point of a closed system is to monetize it. You’re already being nickle and dimed for basic online services that are free on any other device, and you’re overpaying for digital downloads due to the lack of competition.

What you have is essentially this.

That battle has already been waged and lost. Some people look to the Steambox to shake things up, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

#60 1 year ago
  61. G1GAHURTZ

@Dave:

Pay for what again? Why are people going to buy the same, last gen, games?

I’ve never personally spent more than a few hours playing a last gen game on a current gen console. The one that I did the most was probably OoT on Gamecube, but even then I didn’t finish it.

I disagree with you on this one.

You also have to look at it from Sony’s perspective. They’ve gone with a well known architecture (x86) to try and make it easier for developers to make better games.

The PS3 struggled initially, because it took people so long to learn how to code for it efficiently.

The new and old architecture are incompatible, so it’s a bit unreasonable to expect Sony to put themselves in a difficult situation just so that a few people can still play old games for a year or two.

Actually, I’d say that Sony are thinking of gamers with this move. They don’t want to have the sluggish ports any more. They want to make it easier for devs to make better games for gamers.

#61 1 year ago
  62. Fin

The original story does not mention the word purchases. It says “PSN titles”, not purchases.
    I think this is Joystiq’s error.

#62 1 year ago
  63. orakaa

Wow, wow, wow !!!

Let’s not get too excited on this. In the ENDGADGET article, Yoshida says:
    “Because the architecture of the Power-PC-based PS3 and x86-based PlayStation 4 are so different, Sony WILL ONLY BRING ACROSS GAMES that don’t guzzle the latest console’s power in emulation”

So IT SEEMS PSN GAMES WILL BE BROUGHT ACROSS! The ones concerned (not transferred) are obviously the PS3 games based on CELL processors, but apparently not PSN games like Flower, etc.

So basically it just says what we already knew: PS3 games won’t be compatible with PS4, except via Cloud gaming

#63 1 year ago
  64. DrDamn

@OG
    “There is zero reason to not build your platform going forward.”

Well there are some reasons. PS3 was a poor technical design – so do you stick with it for compatibilities sake or do you move forward with a better design? Sony have gone for the latter. It was a situation they helped fashion though, so they do deserve some flak for it.

Nintendo with the Wii-U have managed it but at the same time they have hamstrung their CPU to an extent in the past. Swings and roundabouts.

#64 1 year ago
  65. Dave Cook

@59 I don’t think it’s entitlement to be fair mate, it’s because the digital frameworks are in place now that studios could just whack our previous digital purchases over to other platforms.

But you’re right in saying that music and film have been doing this for ages too. it could just be that gaming is still in its infancy and folk are yet to adjust. HD repacks only just started getting big two years ago. It’s a new step.

#65 1 year ago
  66. Gheritt White

Dave, this is nothing new. When I bought a CD player, I had to re-buy all my tapes and LPs. BUT… those old formats still worked on my tape deck and record player!

Same goes wiith content for X360s and PS3s – we bought content for those systems, not their descendants.

I remember when Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel – I new that all my old programs wouldn’t work on new Macs… but they’d still work just fine on the Mac I currently owned.

If you want to future-proof your media, switch to PC and Linux and put up with the hassle involved.

#66 1 year ago
  67. laughing-gravy

@#43 The name semi comes from semi conductor and I don’t have to explain accurate. It’s a site aimed at the semi conductor industry and deals with the business end of things to. And they’ve been right about plenty of other things in the past too.

#67 1 year ago
  68. Dave Cook

@61 “If they trade in their PS3, I’d have thought that they could also trade their games in.”

I think the point has been lost here a little man. It’s more that the Gaikai tech does allow for past game purchases to be transferred from PS3 to PS4, as it streams from their native tech, not the PS4s. That’s how Gaikai works. So all of this talk about the architecture changing can be skirted around if they really wanted it to be.

And yes I 100% understand and agree that making PS4 easier to develop on is a wise step. PS3 was a nightmare in its early days. That’s why Square made Crystal Tools, to make it easier to code for.

#68 1 year ago
  69. Fin

PowerPC apps did work on Intel Macs for two (three maybe?) OS versions – there was software emulation (Rosetta). It’s gone now though.

#69 1 year ago
  70. Gheritt White

@69: Good point, totally forgotten about that. I think I just ended up getting anew Mac so I could enjoy a new OS version and the point became moot.

#70 1 year ago
  71. Dragon246

Just wait a minute, so people like to buy ps4 to play ps3 games?
    Its just not possible, is it that difficult to understand?

Now, if there was no BC, how were you supposed to play the old content? Its just ridiculous. Sorry people, this was bound to happen. And nothing to get angry about. This obviously doesn’t rule out emulation now.

@Dave,
    You brought Streets Of Rage 12 times too right? Isn’t this the same thing?
    And streaming isn’t free. I think you know that.

#71 1 year ago
  72. DrDamn

That is a very good point.

#72 1 year ago
  73. Beta

@58 I assume you didn’t mean to ask Me (52) if I’m mental? :P

#73 1 year ago
  74. Gheritt White

@73: Are you MENTAL?!?!?!?!?

#74 1 year ago
  75. theevilaires

Oh great Older Gamer a well know poster of VG24/7 who openly admits in 90% of his post he doesn’t even use his PS3 or care for PlayStation that much is so passionate about this news…..LMFAO

Truth is it is a let down and I am disappointed in SONY for this. What is the cloud game saves for? Why not take all this time and make software emulation and use it in the PS4 or find a Gaikai work around.

Then on the other hand I’m really not that upset because my PS3′s aren’t going anywhere. I have the original 20GB and 60GB with full 3 gen backward compatibility. They are used for gaming and media apps like netflix and that won’t change anytime soon. I can’t see SONY shutting off the PS3 from PSN anytime soon like Microsoft did with the original XBOX.

On the brighter side of things. This box has just been confirmed to be an all out PS4/media streaming box (Gaikai,Netflix,Hulu,etc) It should cost $299 at launch.

#75 1 year ago
  76. Beta

@74 Yes yes I am :)

#76 1 year ago
  77. laughing-gravy

@#45 Truth hurt? You’re the blind idiot! And I won’t go away.

#77 1 year ago
  78. OlderGamer

Doc, use Gaikai. The how it works is more of Sonys issue them it should be the consumers. People expect more today. Consoles may well be closed hardware and all of that. But they are competing in a bigger more open world. The thinking behind consoles is just outdated.

#78 1 year ago
  79. SlayerGT

@65 I understand it seems easy on the outside. Its digital. But some work would need to be done to get PSN games designed for PS3 working on different hardware. I would expect to pay for that work. And I’m not even talking about licensing. That’s a different issue all together.

#79 1 year ago
  80. Dave Cook

@71 not really as I wasn’t forced to buy it again. This is forcing you if you want to get PS4 but can’t afford it without trading your PS3. This is my point basically. I’m just shit at explaining things sometimes.

#80 1 year ago
  81. Fin

Dave I think this article is factually inaccurate, which I’ve said twice now. Check the Engadget source.

#81 1 year ago
  82. 0ldsnake1

“This is due to the architecture between PS3 and PS4 being so different. ”

same old bullshit !

#82 1 year ago
  83. Kuwabara

well i just hope when they announce cloud gaming, that for those who have already purchased ps3 games, you enter a code of proof to get a copy of the game, without having to pay for it again.

#83 1 year ago
  84. OlderGamer

It is the cusp of a new generation Tea. I am weighing my options. Digital content is a HUGE deal for me. I wrote several posts on it awhile back. I feel the same way about it across all platforms.

Stop making everything a Sony vs issue.

If MS do the same thing, I will be equaly as put off on suporting them.

#84 1 year ago
  85. G1GAHURTZ

@dave:

So wait, are you saying that you can insert a PS3 game into a PS4, and that the game data would be sent to GAIKAI, which would then stream it to your console?

How do you know all this?

If that’s not what your saying, then how is Sony going to know who owns what games?

#85 1 year ago
  86. Eregol

What is surprising here is how many people are actually ok with it.
    I know I am.
    I just have a feeling that Sony are actually going to get this right. The thing is though. What Yoshida-san actually said was that they’d try and make digital purchases playable in some form. As detailed here:

#86 1 year ago
  87. DrDamn

Yes that’s what they plan to do, but they haven’t actually said your *purchases* won’t carry over when they do this, they’ve said PSN titles won’t carry over to PS4 that’s all.

#87 1 year ago
  88. theevilaires

So SlayerGT you’re telling us you bought the Star Wars collection many times over on all those different formats ;)

Not me. I have one format. Its called internet :D

#88 1 year ago
  89. SlayerGT

Digital content sucks when the avenue for accessing or has been shut down. I learned this years ago in relation to consoles with the original Xbox.

#89 1 year ago
  90. salarta

“Now tell us about how angry this makes you below.”

GRR THIS MAKES ME ANGRY. SMASH! SMASH!

At first this actually did seem like a big problem, but then I reconsidered that PS1 and PS2 games didn’t have their saves transferred to the PS3 either and nobody complained about that. It’s a shame that we lost that functionality too, it was cool to be able to play PS1 games on the PS2 complete with the old saves.

I think one thing Sony needs to make absolutely sure they keep intact is transferring over trophies. I don’t think it would be a problem for me because I don’t play games just to get trophies, but I know there are a lot of people that do, and they would be angry to find out their years of getting trophies won’t mean anything with each new generation.

EDIT: Though PSN titles not transferring as well is a bit questionable. At least when it’s on a physical disc, you might be able to get the hardware and still play it offline even when the servers go down. If it’s something you can only get through the PSN store of the PS3, then the servers need to stay up for you to be able to re-download it in the future.

#90 1 year ago
  91. Eregol

What? Do you think the PS3 and 4 have the same architecture? Get your head out of your arse lad.

#91 1 year ago
  92. Dave Cook

@85 that’s not what I said at all.

The idea of Gaikai is that you stream digital content on their tech, suing their servers. Like, say I had the lowest spec PC ever, I could stream Crysis at full spec on their rigs.

I know this (as in the Crysis PC example) because I’ve spoken with Dave Perry twice in person about it.

But no, what you said about PS3 streaming a second ago, that’s not what i said at all. Sorry if I confused the message a bit.

On how they will know, the licenses are tethered to your PSN ID. They track your purchases.

#92 1 year ago
  93. Dragon246

@Dave,
    People don’t care about BC except die-hard gamers. Fact. Otherwise ps3 wouldn’t have been selling this well past few years.
    There is no solution around this. Gaikai thing also requires additional resources. You wouldnt really think they would let you use servers just for free because you brought something for 5$ 5 years ago now do you?

I think people should get over this. If not, pc is always waiting. Don’t buy ps4 then. Not that it would affect sales though, ps3 just proves that.

#93 1 year ago
  94. theevilaires

Older Gamer I’m not saying your ideals are wrong I agree with them. But come on the second something sounds negative to the consumer from a SONY stand point you’re in the comment section heated about a console you rarely even use on a yearly bases. You’ve probably got like 3 trophies :D

I just find it funny that you don’t care for the console but quick to go see…I told you so…this is why I don’t invest my time in SONY products.

#94 1 year ago
  95. Dave Cook

@Fin alright dude jesus christ, I’m on it :P

A little busy here.

#95 1 year ago
  96. Dave Cook

@90 “Though PSN titles not transferring as well is a bit questionable. At least when it’s on a physical disc, you might be able to get the hardware and still play it offline even when the servers go down. If it’s something you can only get through the PSN store of the PS3, then the servers need to stay up for you to be able to re-download it in the future.”

Exactly, this is my point.

Once again, not having a go at anyone here (I know, I always say this), as this is a good wee debate we’ve got going here.

Incidentally, would you lot like to hear from team VG247 on this and other PS4 issues in a podcast? If so, I’ll run it by Pat again.

#96 1 year ago
  97. Eregol

@Dave Cook (95)
    Yeah, busy arguing with us. Now be a good boy and update the article saying that Yoshida stated that they’re looking at a different way to have previous gen titles playable on the system. ;)

#97 1 year ago
  98. OlderGamer

Surely the Gaikai features won’t be free either right? I am thinking “included with PSN+”. Just asking.

#98 1 year ago
  99. osric90

Okay… so not backwards compatibility, no PSN games and stuff bought… what should we do? I mean… Okay, yes “just keep the damn PS3 and get over it”. We never got the PS2 backwards on that console either… I’m buying a PS2 before a PS4 I think. Then, maybe around 2016… if there’s any money, the PS4 for the sake of it.

#99 1 year ago
  100. Bomba Luigi

Diffrent Architecture makes it not easy, but not Impossible. What happend in this Generation, like in no Console Generation before, is that a lot of People put a lot of Money in a Online Network like PSN or Xbox Live. That really should count.

Do they have to make PSN Purchases available? No, its up to them, they can do what they want. But Customer Care is an Important thing, because the more Money somene has put in the PSN, the more upset he will probably be. Thats not a good Strategy here, and for me, its more about the Attitude and Customer Care of Sony than about the Point if I can download that stuff on my PS4 too.

Its just an Ugly Situation.

#100 1 year ago
  101. OlderGamer

Actualy Tea, I do the samething about MS too. I even critized Nintendo a for a few WiiU things. Ask around, I have gotten to the point where I hate everything lol.

One of the reasons I am ticked about this is that I have already made up my mind(mostly) that I will NOT buy another XB product. I mean I will keep an eye open and see what happens, but for me I could be happy with a WiiU and a PC.

But I would like to own a PS4. I hope Sony sort some of these bumps out.

And what BL just posted. People, myself included, have a heavy investment in digital goods. On mobile, PC, we can have profiles/accounts on stuff like Amazon etc where we can store our content. If I get a new Galaxy Tablet, I can still use that digital content.

Consoles need to work like that. I went prolly 80% with LIVE and MS this past gen. I am not ubber heavily invested in PSN. I have a few things. But if MS do this and step on my purchases…screw em. I am walking away.

It is the practice that rubs me the wrong way.

#101 1 year ago
  102. SlayerGT

@88 No TEA but I do own almost every form of music from the Beatles ;) Digital sounds the worst btw :P

#102 1 year ago
  103. reask

I reckon there is always going to be crossover problems for all makers regardless.
    Personally not a big deal for me as I tend to just play the sp once for the most part.

I think the online issue will be the bigger problem for both MS and Sony.
    Games like cod and bf for example.

If there on both platforms people will be looking at there friends list to decide which to get it for.

Again an issue for both MS and Sony and there isn,t really a whole lot they can do about it and I suppose it wont really matter a lot in the long run as they will still be purchased for the same company regardless.

#103 1 year ago
  104. G1GAHURTZ

@Dave:

Ah, ok. I understand what you’re saying now.

If you have a hard drive full of PSN games, and have to trade your PS3 in, your games are lost forever, even though Sony could let you stream them through Gaikai.

Well, it’s a little worse than I first understood, and I can definitely see why someone might be upset with this now.

#104 1 year ago
  105. Eregol

‘So Sony basically does have the ability to let people ‘keep’ PSN purchases, but isn’t allowing them to.’
    Once again, this isn’t what’s being said at all. They’re looking at avenues to make it available, but because of the core machine architecture it just isn’t possible.

#105 1 year ago
  106. reask

@ 102.
    I fully agree with you digital music sounds crap compared to the old vinyl.

Puts on slippers and makes himself a cup of hot chocolate. :(

#106 1 year ago
  107. G1GAHURTZ

@105:

But you could play Gaikai on an iPad, so why can’t it be done on PS4?

#107 1 year ago
  108. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

First, isn’t it a bit much inciting people to get angry? I’m not angry because I just don’t see myself wanting to play current-gen games when I have next-gen ones. Also, it breaks down like this:

Let’s say it costs £100 more to put the old chipset in to make it backwards compatible. That’s £100 that 100% of people will have to pay extra on the console for the sake of what? 1%, 2% of gamers who actually play them. And the HUGE IRONY is that that one or two per cent could just keep their old console plugged in if they were really that bothered.

This, EXACTLY the way Sony is doing it is the fair way. If you wanna play PS3 games, keep it plugged in for fuck’s sake, otherwise shut up and let the rest of us keep our future consoles reasonably priced.

Now tell me what’s fair…

Now tell me to get angry…

#108 1 year ago
  109. Dave Cook

@104 Yeah, that’s it basically :)

It could be done, but then think of the lost money making potential. That’s the thing too, trading in to lose potentially hundreds of pounds worth of digital purchases. It’s a little bit shitty.

@97 aw man, not arguing, just discussing and debating. The majority of folk here do it so politely, it’s good for discussion and my article ideas :)

One thing that confuses me about some of your responses:

I said PSN purchases won’t carry over.

Some of you said I was wrong and that Sony actually said PSN games won’t transfer over.

So if I’ve bought a game on PS3 that Sony decides to not port to PS4, my purchase of that particular game can’t be transferred, as the game doesn’t exist on PS4.

These are one and the same. Where’s the confusion coming from?

#109 1 year ago
  110. dizzygear

“This is due to the architecture between PS3 and PS4 being so different. ”

They could have stuck in a Cell CPU and rig it in some way that besides PS3 games it can also be used to offload other tasks to justify the costs instead of wasting time on social media bullshit i didn’t ask for.

Even if the Gaikai thing will be used to stream old games the rollout in the PAL zone will prolly be a year late and missing half the games.

#110 1 year ago
  111. Dave Cook

@105 yeah, but Gaikai has the ability to run on native tech. Architecture doesn’t matter when Gaikai is involved. Read up on it dude, it’s seriously impressive how it works :)

#111 1 year ago
  112. Dave Cook

@108 yeah you’re right, I edited that bit out. My apologies.

#112 1 year ago
  113. Eregol

@107 Have they said they’re not going to do it?
    Then I see no reason why they can’t.
    Also applies to Dave @111.

#113 1 year ago
  114. Bomba Luigi

I know, thats even for First World Problems Standart Silly, but I really don’t have any Space left under or on the Sides of my TV, and the PS3 is a Big thing.

But I’m realy Silly now :P

#114 1 year ago
  115. Dave Cook

@113 I really hope they will, but they are saying at the moment that only some games will make the cut.

Trust me, I hope I’m proven wrong. I’m on your side here :)

#115 1 year ago
  116. salarta

@96: I don’t listen to podcasts, make of that what you will. :P

#116 1 year ago
  117. NeoSquall

Ok for the PS3 ones, but what about the PSOne and PS2 ones?

#117 1 year ago
  118. ManuOtaku

This is one of the reasons, between a lot of others as well, that i dont like digital only consoles, or services like steam, etc, just for not controlling the access of the games, i just hope in the future they have both options physical and digital, like stairs and elevators, they can coexist together, the gamer should choose what he/she likes.

#118 1 year ago
  119. eeklipz

I am somewhere between casual-hardcore gamer, however, this predictable change does not bother me. I am the type who will sell my ps3 and put that cash toward my ps4 purchase like I did for the ps3 purchase. What ever is loss is loss. I don’t typically “download” games for that very reason. I buy physical hard copies and most of the games I buy, I beat and get rid of. Times change so fast that it is hard to keep up with everything anyway…I won’t cry over spilt milk.

#119 1 year ago
  120. xino

makes no bloody sense!

another garbage move from sony.
    people don’t even know they are being deceived!

you pay for PSN+ that encourages you to use cloud saving, so what’s the point of all that!??

no different to them removing the bloody Other OS

#120 1 year ago
  121. osric90

This can’t be good… if not for exclusives I would be staying with my PC. Man, I love the PlayStation consoles but since PS2 it has been showing a middle finger to most fans about the fair services. PS2 was a perfect console. The first PS3 was close enough, but damn Yellow Lights of Death… then they take off backwards for “saving” now we have to say goodbye to all of out PSN and other games. Gaikai? Really? They’re basically killing the charm of what consoles represented one day. Don’t know if that’s a necessary sacrifice for jumping to the next generation of gaming.

#121 1 year ago