PlayStation 4′s reveal was big, but I’m still on the fence

Thursday, 21st February 2013 11:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Stephany Nunneley reports her impressions from Sony’s PS4 reveal event in New York City last night: while the party was large, she isn’t sold just yet.

Bravo on your big reveal tonight, Sony. You teased the hell out of all of us. You left us wanting more. But I’m not sold.

Sony knows how to host a party. All developers and publishers do. They rent out a theater with murals, sconces and balconies, and play thumping house music to get your feet tapping. It’s always the same. Everyone stands in line to get in the doors before being herded into a large, lovely room like cattle to slaughter. Everyone takes seats, gets prepped, maybe chats a bit with the person next to them, maybe eavesdrops on the conversation behind them. Sometimes the air is electric with anticipation; sometimes everyone’s just checking their watches, waiting for it to end.

Tonight the atmosphere was one of cautious optimism, but Sony was determined eliminate doubt. One of the first things Andrew House said when he stepped on stage was this was a “moment of truth and a bold step forward,” how Sony was creating a “magical experience” which can only be found in its world: the world of PlayStation.

Wonderful. Whip it out, Sony. We’ve been dying to see this not-so-secret console you’ve been working on for the last five years. Wait – you want to show us slides first. The slides tell us, along with lead system architect Mark Cerny, that the new console has a deep feature set; super-charged architecture featuring a x86 CPU; an enhanced PC GPU; 8GB of unified memory; and a local HDD.

Nice. Can we see this gorgeously powerful living-room console? No, the soft spoken Cerny has more to tell us first. He wants to talk about DualShock 4, which Sony and game developers worked on together in order to “enhance the feel of the joystick and finger buttons.”

It comes with a headphone jack, a light bar, share button, touch-pad, and a separate camera for motion-sensing. Cool. What does the touch-pad do? We still haven’t seen it work.

And we still have no idea what the PlayStation 4 will look like. Sony didn’t show it off. Not even a picture.

Caring and sharing

The big take-away from the event was one of social and sharing. This seems to be PlayStation’s future, and whether or not the old guard comes along for the ride willingly remains to be seen.

Sony talked the talk tonight, showed a lot of flash and made a lot of promises, but I was left wondering when I walked out of the venue whether it can deliver. Is this just a glorified social networking machine or a true gaming console?

Another question mark hung over “always-connected” element. David Perry is an intelligent man. He knows his stuff, and if anyone can deliver a fast gaming network, he and his team at Gaikai can do it. But what good is a “lightning fast” service to play games if players are unable to connect? Will latency be an issue if people live, say, out in the middle of a horse farm in God’s Country USA? Will Gaikai have servers available in all reachable areas of America? Of the world?

I think it’s a fantastic idea to be able to start playing a game automatically – as you can with some PC games – and allow the rest to download quietly in the background. But, again, what about people who don’t have a stable internet connection? We don’t have the answer to this either because, like many of PS4’s features, all will be better explained at a later date.

Haven’t I seen you some place before?

As for the games, the audience was really excited over the new Killzone. Lots of hooting and clapping before and after the live demo. I am usually skeptical of press conference performances because it’s hard to tell if it is choreographed or not, but, regardless, it was a damn nice looking game.

I wasn’t really sure what Media Molecule was up to. Was it a claymation game, a Move game, LittleBigPlanet on steroids? I was left wondering what the point to the title was – if it was a title at all – and it seemed the rest of the audience felt the same. Still, it’s MM we’re talking about here, so I’m sure whatever it is will be fun and creative.

Naughty Dog’s no show was a downer, Sucker Punch’s third installment in the InFamous series was expected, and while we know Sony Studios is up to more than just God of War it would have been nice to see more.

The most excited developer was Evolution Studios with new IP Drive Club.

When Blizzard’s Chris Metzen took the stage, I heard at least three different people in the room shout out “StarCraft Ghost”. As you all know by now their guess was wrong: Metzen was there to announce Diablo 3 for PS3 and PS4. The crowd seemed disappointed, but I know more than a few PS3 users who’ll be tickled over the news.

Tech demos and special guests

When Yohsiro Ono stepped on stage to reveal Capcom’s Panta Rhei engine, the crowd became more energetic. How can you not when faced with Ono and his massive smile? The tech demo looked really impressive (and not just because I love anything with fantasy elements and dragons).

David Cage’s briefing discussed a new PS4 engine, and while the render of the old man looked impressive, human eyes still seem to plague many developers no matter how powerful their engine is. The uncanny valley is alive and well, still, and until I get to see more than just an old man’s head spinning around I won’t be able to form an opinion on Quantic Dream’s new tech.

Unreal Engine 4 and Square’s Luminous Engine looked just as lovely as when we saw them the first time last year.

While all these tech demos were nice to see (I mean, who doesn’t like graphics, particle effects, beautifully rendered water and every color of the rainbow splattered across their vision in HD?), I just felt something was missing through all of this: concrete information.

Here’s what I was hoping to get when I walked into the Sony event tonight: a glimpse of PS4; more information on how the “always-connected” aspect will work; details on the touch-pad integrated into the DualShock 4; an idea of how much this thing is going to cost.

I didn’t expect a date, or any form of hands-on. Sony isn’t ready yet, and, honestly, none of us in the audience were really expecting it. Just more information.

However, I believe there’s a method to the madness here. While it would be easy to believe Sony jumped the gun on its announcements, you could argue yesterday’s event was an ingeniously orchestrated move to beat Microsoft to the punch. I personally think it’s the latter.

Going ahead of the Seattle giant gives plenty of time to build buzz for E3. Despite the lack of information tonight, I think it will work in Sony’s favor.

So, bravo on your big reveal tonight, Sony. You teased the hell out of all of us. You left us wanting more. But I’m not sold. While I’m not too fond of the “sharing” aspect of the console, I hope we won’t have to use those features if we don’t wish to. We don’t know yet, of course. And, until I find out more information on how people – like me – with a spotty internet service will be able to use PS4 without issue, I will remain on the fence.

1. DeVitowned

Here Steph, let me push you over the fence. If you buy a PS4, I’ll let you watch me do the Carlton in my underwear.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Beta

I’m easily sold. Just preordered one. ;)

Primarily for the Naughty Dog games I know will be released in the future.

#2 1 year ago
  3. matirishhh

Same here…
    I will buy it but not on the release date…I think.
    There was nothing that would shock me…
    PS4 is a huge powerhourse that won’t be fully unlocked till it’s 3rd or 4th year…
    It will be the same thing as with VITA, amazing platform and lack of games.
    OK all titles will be released on PS3 and PS4 but… I won’t spend couple of hundred pounds to get better resolution if gameplay is the same.
    And why….WHY….do they focus on social interactions and those stupid movie recordings? It should be a console not FACEBOOKSOLE……!!!!!

#3 1 year ago
  4. manamana

I’m sold.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

Same feeling.
    Nothing spectacular. No killer apps, nothing really that sells a system. Graphics were okay.

I liked MM demo a lot, I don’t know if this is a game or not it was great and inFamous announcement was good for the fans.

But… I’m on the fence. My biggest issue was Final Fantasy devs. They showed old demo that everyone knows about and then was announcement of announcement of a new FF game that everyone knew that it is coming in the near future.

P.S. Blizzard on the stage was cool too until they said that they are going to bring Diablo III port…

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheKeyPit

Microsoft… do something.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Beta

Microsoft are going to have to work hard to impress me now.

I assume Microsoft will support used games as well? That would be a monumental disaster if they didn’t. ;P

#7 1 year ago
  8. ArcticMonkey

“Is this just a glorified social networking machine or a true gaming console?”

Come on, Stephany. This is a ridiculous question to ask, you should’ve left this out of your piece. I agree with you about not being overly excited in regard to the “share” aspect of the ps4, it doesn’t float my boat, but the whole night was about game developers. Making it a point time and time again to mention Sony designed PS4 with them in mind, specifically.

I would’ve loved to see the touch pad in action, I would’ve loved it even more to see the actual console, but Sony can’t show up to E3 with a presser full of old news. Especially when Microsoft’s next console will be there in full force.

Judging by PS4′s combined first part and third party dev of new and interesting games this past gen, they more then any other console manufacturer make consoles for gamers. The NYC press conference compounded that fact. IMO, anyway

#8 1 year ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

I’m still on the fence for this, too.

There wasn’t a single thing there that screamed ‘must buy’. No game changer.

So I’m going to put this one down to bad timing on Sony’s part, and expect much, much more from E3.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Old MacDonald

” While I’m not too fond of the “sharing” aspect of the console, I hope we won’t have to use those features if we don’t wish to.”

Heh, yeah. I think it’s ironic how they’re always saying that the gamer is changing and this is what we want now, but… it’s just something they’re making up, isn’t it? I don’t know any gamers in real life who are interested in this stuff. The gamers I know don’t really want to be connected and share their experiences.

I’m not too impressed by the tech stuff either. It doesn’t seem a generation ahead. Unless the Wii U is what you’re comparing it to.

#10 1 year ago
  11. DeVitowned

Glad to see Sony learned from some of their past mistakes, especially when it comes to platform-dev relations. Should see far fewer PC-to-Console exclusives. Cannot wait to play The Witcher 3.

#11 1 year ago
  12. JPdot

Good article Stephany, I fully endorse it. I was just talking about the PS4 revelation with my father and we shared the same mixed opinion. Of course this meeting wasn’t that bad: I am really excited to see what Sony will bring to the table in the upcoming months up until the day the console will be released to the masses. I cannot wait to see what Capcom is brewing with the new engine (the tech demo the showed had a strange Dragon’s Dogma-ish feeling surrounding it) and to hear more about the Witness. Also, I found the floating old man’s head of the quantic dream’s target render to be quite surreal: the new engine looks indeed solid but I think that they need to improve the hair rendering (which didn’t looked that impressive to me).

#12 1 year ago
  13. The_Red

Thanks for the read. I agree that this was indeed a move to beat MS to the punch.

Good:
    1. Sony actually managed to NOT screw up (No major Giant Enemy Crab, 599 or RIIIIIIIIDGE Racer)
    2. Showing long gameplay demo during console announcement.
    3. Focusing on a lot of DEVELOPERS
    4. The Witness demo + MM video thingy
    5. TEH Graphixz

Bad:
    1. Not a single megaton or WOW moment
    2. Killzone SF’s gameplay looked kinda boring.
    3. No humor or creativity during the show
    4. Knack’s art direction & awkward presentation
    5. Too much useless talk

#13 1 year ago
  14. SplatteredHouse

“When Blizzard’s Chris Metzen took the stage, I heard at least three different people in the room shout out “StarCraft Ghost”.”

I really wanted to see THAT!! and then, the Diablo music played. They did mention in an appearance after the conference that the control for D3 PS would be using the controller to move the characters (there would be no effectively clicking to move characters), and they talked about how they’d put a lot of time into a controller friendly UI. D3 PS will be the PC version, patched up, and they’re exploring how to bring new/console players up-to-date with the plot.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Erthazus

Btw, interested in the Drive Club. I hope it is a spiritual successor to the Test Drive Unlimited series.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Bomba Luigi

I know I say that too much, but I’m so worried about the Camera. Everything else is…. I don’t know. I don’t care about the Social Stuff, but when its there and I can just ignore it, thats fine for me. Most People want that kind of stuff, and Sony can’t make a Console for a Minority like me, that would be insane.
    But when all the Time something pops up and remind me of that Social thing, and that there and what else, it will piss me off. It really depends on how its made and if I can just shut that all down.

When it comes to Games, they don’t really show something to get me hyped. But I have more than enough faith in ND and co., so I’m sure there will be a lot of Great Games, sooner or later.

But for now… well, its strange, I’m not starving for it, and I don’t really care when I can have that PS4. I can wait, and depending on what Infos will come, I can just not buy that thing and still be happy.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Peetry

Good article, don’t agree with a lot of it but still worth a read

#17 1 year ago
  18. Mike W

Just ask Pat if you can work some overtime Steph. ;)

#18 1 year ago
  19. deadstoned

I’m primarily a PC gamer whos still looking at getting a PS3 hopefully at the next price cut, for the PS3 exclusives, Red Dead: Redemption and SSX.

Sony’s press conference last night totally sold me. I’ll keep playing FPS’s and multiplatform games on PC, but the PS4. *Drewls* So many possibilities.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Erthazus

I hope that Microsoft will shake the industry or STEAMBOX. Steeeeeeeeeeam bawks.

#20 1 year ago
  21. SplatteredHouse

@15: Drive Club looked VERY interesting, and I have amassed belief from past games of theirs that Evolution are good for what they say. The way they folded the racing experience in to other elements, and it seemed seamless. If that occurs in the game that will be fantastic – this demo was a highlight of the conference. Straightforward, connected and creative! So I will be interested to see new ways of looking at existing concepts like that, from other developers and publishers.

#21 1 year ago
  22. G1GAHURTZ

What’s even more surprising, is that we’ve been shown a controller packed with more features than a Swiss army knife, but not a single one of them was demo’d.

If they were holding back the console box to focus on the controller, then maybe they should have at least tried to show us why we should want one.

What does the touchpad do, Sony!?

#22 1 year ago
  23. ps4some

They’ve got to hold some stuff back for E3 when they’re on after microsoft.

So we’ve still got full reveal and games from Naughty Dog etc and a price I’m guessing in June. Couldn’t give too much away now.

#23 1 year ago
  24. manamana

ArcticMonkey pretty much nailed it. Sony teased us for next-gen and instantly every developer is now allowed to show off and talk about their upcoming games. We could see in the bizarre Destiny ViDoc what a pain it was not to speak about next gen. It’s still early in the year and next on stage will be Microsoft. Eagerly waiting for their annoncement.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Beta

I assume the big stuff will come at E3.

Last night was more of a confirmation that PS4 is real and a glimpse at the future of Playstation.

#25 1 year ago
  26. fengato

I’m not on the fence in regard to getting one – I’m onboard. I did however find the conference to be pretty snoreworthy. An hour would have been plenty if the fat was trimmed.

Hopefully some ‘must have’ wow moments coming for E3….

#26 1 year ago
  27. redwood

yup not too many wow factors, but I am sold cause I just know those share buttons are an OS layer thingy, meaning it’s up to devs to use it or not. I think pressing the share button is simply going to open up a “share your score on fb ” or something like that, so basiclly it’s up to you the dev to implement it and at the end the player to use it, i don’t see how it will really “keep you on the fence”.
    lack of concrete info was a downer really, but see Sony knows microsoft will jump back after this and pump $ into making there E3 thingy big and so they need to keep something for laters, and that’s when (i believe) sony will bring,
    a- the actual box,
    b-naughty dog
    c-sony studio’s next game
    d-singularity.
    Also the way ps3 is structured porting existing tech to it wont be a Pain in the proverbial ass, like with ps3. So yeah most of the devs might actually not have something to show right now but they should be able to get stuff up really fast..

#27 1 year ago
  28. aleph31

“Is this just a glorified social networking machine or a true gaming console?”

I found the presentation completely hardcore-gamer oriented. I foresee the XBox presentation will be much more on the “conquer the living room” side, with a lot of media center, skype, remote-control your TV through kinect 2.0, Smart-Glass features, etc. Heck, you just need to see the Dashboard to convice yourself of the direction Microsoft is following.

For me the near (and sad) future is going to be a fight between Apple and Microsoft, both coming from different sources (casual stylish vs hardcore), but both wanting to appeal to the mass market, casual, TV-with-services oriented crowd.

The only third player with options imho would be a union between NVidia + Steam + Android, ala Project Shield meets Steam Box (not just Steam), but much better accomplished.

And I don’t see neither Sony nor Nintendo with a significant market share there.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Dragon246

I think jouno and people, like always were expecting too much.
    Really? Does it matter if they did or didn’t show the “black box” (its black, and rectangle and is curvy, you heard it here first). Ok, it matters, but not as much as its made out to be.
    I really think Sony did a great job here (8.5 on Dragon Scale), they just held back enough aces for future shows, there is E3 , Gamescom and TGS still to come, for Christs sake. They showed just enough number of first party games, so that they could provide a constant stream of games well after the launch (wiiu fails horribly here).
    Next FF, maybe MG, and some other blockbusters at E3 and beyond? Colour be very very excited.

“Is this just a glorified social networking machine or a true gaming console? ”
    Completely disagree. When you see a conference where more than 3/4th of the time is spent on showing games, wowing indies and so on, you know this statement is a erroneous to ask, as its a gamers console, first and foremost.
    I will agree that some talk just wont make it at launch, but hey, press conferences are all about hype.
    What I am a bit disappointed about is lack of Vita show, but they told more info will come soon later this year, so I am fine.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Erthazus

I really wanted to see a box. I want to see how much HDMI ports will be in it. Haha.

Yeah, box matters. Because by the end of the day you are going to buy it (If you are interested in it ofc)

#30 1 year ago
  31. loki

Stephany Nunneley impressions absolutely do not matter, because i dont trust so-called games journalists who lie people, not very familiar with the game industry, inventing imaginary PC ports. This article is a waste of time for everyone

#31 1 year ago
  32. Beta

@32 Obviously not trolling at all.. :P

#32 1 year ago
  33. aleph31

@32 wow I think you crossed the line on that one, do you have evidence on the lies and not being familiar with the game industry?

I’ve been following this site for two years and I think all the journos here are rather honest

#33 1 year ago
  34. Gadzooks!

It’s time that loki was banned. He’s never posted a single comment that isnt just provocative trolling.

#34 1 year ago
  35. Beta

Yes, where’s the banhammer people?

#35 1 year ago
  36. manamana

Loki is more than a troll, he is a cunt.

#36 1 year ago
  37. kaffikjelen

I was disappointed by the lack of any new, really exciting games, but I think Sony’s got a good start on the next-gen race. Hopefully we’ll hear more before E3, that’s a bit long to wait…

#37 1 year ago
  38. DSB

Great rundown Steph. It pretty much sums up how I feel.

The fact that they’ll be focusing on services like social etc. is actually comforting. The thing that turns me off the most about consoles right now is just how old fashioned they are.

It’s like they’ve never seen an iPhone or a modern PC program. Hopefully this time you’ll get more for your subscription.

#38 1 year ago
  39. SplatteredHouse

I thought another really great thing was the idea of Gaikai x PlayStation Store, or its equivalent, particularly to lead to a situation where you get to try EVERYTHING. If you like it, you can buy it. You need not download the full demo to begin playing. That’s brilliant!

“Perry said that users should be allowed to “instantly experience anything that you want”, and “try for free, and pay only for games you fall in love with”. http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/what-gaikai-brings-to-the-playstation-4/

#39 1 year ago
  40. Sadismek

I like what I’ve seen so far. That’s about what I can say for now.

Oh, and the controller is awesome.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Beta

Only 3 things holding it back now then.

Revealing the actual console, more games (preferably new ip) and pricing.

Like I say I’ve already pre ordered but I hope and assume that these will all be addressed soon.

#41 1 year ago
  42. theevilaires

Don’t worry Steph I have a feeling you’ll be off that fence come E3 :)

#42 1 year ago
  43. Belmont

It is a slightly soulless feature here. I don’t get the point of it. It is quite common to read things like this. Thousands of articles with the same theme “I’m not impressed”.
    People tend to expect too much. The console wasn’t shown ? perhaps its look and design is not finalized and set in stone yet. It is nothing worth worrying or even mentioning. Several titles were shown and tech demos were at hand to showcase console’s poweress. It is logical and acceptable. If sony showed and revealed everything now,the console would lose momentum till launch. a journalist should know that. You were expecting real time game play of 25 titles in their final development stages ?

#43 1 year ago
  44. OmegaSlayer

I think Sony did things 95% right.
    They showed the tech and they showed the will to push forward.
    Few analyzed what Killzone and Infamous meant.
    Sony could have just put a 4 and a 3 after the name of the IP, but they didn’t so that they can use the universe people love but still refresh it.
    The tech is right for a next gen console.
    It’s not an high end PC but that’s not what a console gamer wants or can afford.
    The social aspect, I don’t like it but it will be optional for sure.
    Also Sony showed the support of devs; CDProjektRed, Blizzard and Bungie are big news because they didn’t developed for a Sony hardware lately.
    And they now have buzz, they stopped some people to buy a WiiU and wait, they tackled MS and they will have loads of press until MS presents the new hardware.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Erthazus

“Sony could have just put a 4 and a 3 after the name of the IP, but they didn’t so that they can use the universe people love but still refresh it”

what was the difference between Killzone 3 and Killzone Shadow Fall in terms of gameplay? Hmm?

#45 1 year ago
  46. deathm00n

@46 I make your words mine! Was going to write a comment but you stole what I was going to say :(

#46 1 year ago
  47. DrDamn

All of the gameplay, absolutely all of it, was captured in the small segment they showed. There is no more, that is it.

That was a good point. Even old IP wasn’t just a flat sequel. It allows them a fair bit more freedom in approach. They have to prove they have used it at some point, but it’s good that they have taken this approach.

#47 1 year ago
  48. DSB

@45 Malarkey.

The point was to reveal the console. The console wasn’t exactly revealed. If it was just to let us know that the console will be revealed soon, that just serves to make it an anti-climax.

Of course they’d be able to detail it and still keep momentum up until launch. They have a metric fuckton of games and features to showcase. That’s what they have a PR department for, no?

Why wouldn’t someone be on the fence? They don’t know what they’re buying at this point.

#48 1 year ago
  49. YoungZer0

I just wish they would’ve shown more gameplay material instead of just talking how unbelievable the stuff is that they haven’t showed us yet. Apart from Second Son there is nothing that would make me buy the system at this point.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Telepathic.Geometry

I too am on the fence. Aside from the vaporware and promises, what seemed to be solid was:

Good

No more waiting for the XMB, or for loading screens…
    Seems to be relatively easy to develop for…
    Plenty of quick, decent PC ports likely…
    Will look much prettier…

Bad

Eye toy + Move bullshit included…
    No backwards compatibility…
    So, what’s new here?

Overall – I did get a bit excited around the beginning of the talk, but when you think about it in the cold light of day, what will really be new about the games? It looks like we’ll get 1080P/60FPS/fuck all loading, and various networking things going on, and I admit that that has a great appeal, but… I think I want more.

#50 1 year ago
  51. OlderGamer

Good read Steph. Like you, DSB, and others I am not sure how I fully feel yet.

Ofc we wanted more. But rule one is always leave them wanting more. The show was more of a preview then a reveal.

But alot of what they were talking about…I am not interested in.

I don’t want social focus. I just don’t. The way they will morph advertising to my tastes is a bad thing imo. What if you enjoy alot of different things? What if multi people in your home use the system? And where does it say that buying a console should mean being marketed to after the purchase? I just want to play games.

I have a feeling that MS will go down a path very similer as where Sony is heading.

As for the games themself?

What games? Very little was shown. Most were likly tech demos being run off of PC hardware. Knack looked neat, but didn’t look “next gen”. More Killzone, more Infamus…meh. I am sure E3 will bring even more games in established Sony platforms. Great, but I don’t play those games now.

I am most interested in knowing what 3rd parties can do with it. Speaking of where was EA?

I just still need to know alot more info. Like Price. Controler functions. And ofc more games. All of that will come in time. So I guess for now I can wait. I am not crazy excited. Tbh, I am not even excited.

#51 1 year ago
  52. stretch215

It was just a reveal, people. They just wanted to show what the console is capable of. Wait until e3. Do you people really think sony won’t “bring it” with the games? I’m hyped.

#52 1 year ago
  53. DejaVu

Afaik you don’t need to be always on if you use your PS4. You can play used games and you can play offline. If you don’t like social stuff and online – you don’t need to use it. In an Interview with Eurogamer this was said. So: No worries!

#53 1 year ago
  54. Erthazus

By the way. No one. Absolutely no one said about console’s selling point.

PS1 – CD-Rom at some point
    PS2 – DVD player
    PS3 – Blu Ray player
    PS4 – ??? Nothing?

Even WiiU had stupid controller, but console had at least one selling point.

#54 1 year ago
  55. DrDamn

PS4 – what it should be, games.

#55 1 year ago
  56. Cobra951

Being forced online is a deal breaker. I am very interested in what I’ve seen, but until I know I can play offline if I choose, I’m with the author–on the fence. Everything else looks peachy, so far.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Beta

@58 There’s this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-playstation-4-does-not-require-an-internet-connection

#57 1 year ago
  58. Samoan Spider

@56 You’re confusing selling points with Unique selling points. Not every product needs a USP, but as #57 said, the games are the selling point.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Erthazus

@57, Every console sell you a game anyway.

But if you remember, each console in it’s life cycle had something special.

#59 1 year ago
  60. DrDamn

Yes the games! Not the polygons, the 3D grass or the anti-aliasing. The games.

#60 1 year ago
  61. Erthazus

@62,So in other words: Nothing.

Graphics has nothing to do with a selling point. I’m talking about something like Oculus Rift/4K UHD/New way to play or something that will make a console different compared to other devices.

#61 1 year ago
  62. CyberMarco

@61 So the share functions, the Gaikai integration, the PS Vita remote play and others aren’t unique features…

#62 1 year ago
  63. Sadismek

It seems that everyone likes to stand on fences as of late. Take my example and choose an armchair. It’s way more comfortable.

#63 1 year ago
  64. DrDamn

—————->.

#64 1 year ago
  65. G1GAHURTZ

Sadly enough, the Latvian has a point.

The PS3 had an HDMI port and a BD drive. Sony were basically at the forefront of pushing an HD media experience in a small box.

Don’t forget that the 360 launched with nothing more than a component connection, and then there was the failed last minute dash to use HD-DVD.

Sony have historically been responsible for many hardware barriers being broken, so it would say a lot if they didn’t come up with something similar at E3.

#65 1 year ago
  66. Samoan Spider

@63 Oculus rift is tied in with nvidia tech and afaik wont work with ATI (H3D) hardware. 4K UHD is irrelevant as the point at which the average eye can tell the difference is too close to the tv. New way to play something, well there’s always that camera and whatever they choose to do with the whole camera, controller tablet thingy they touted. So just wait and see if you’re unsure.

#66 1 year ago
  67. DrDamn

You don’t buy a PS3 over a 360 because it has a HDMI port, you buy it because it has the games you want to play and the way you want to play them.

This was actually one of the main thrusts of the presentation and quite encouraging and refreshing that Sony seem to have got this.

#67 1 year ago
  68. DSB

@54 I’m not worried about games. Most consoles tend to have some of those.

I’m worried about service, paywalls, interface, functionality and design.

#68 1 year ago
  69. G1GAHURTZ

@69:

Of course, the games are the number one reason by far, but your GAME/Currys/PC World ‘salesman’ can probably impress a ‘geezer’ or two by blinding him with the ‘science of the future’.

2007: “HDMI, it’s the next big thing! Get your plasma, with your HD Skybox, and your PS3. Real 1080p right from the console. Can you do that with a 360? No.”

#69 1 year ago
  70. DrDamn

I know what you mean sure, my response to Erth was deliberately a bit targeted. Its a really serious point though which maybe demonstrates they have learned a thing or two. Old Sony pushed HDMI, 1080p, Bluray, DVD. This presentation was about how they went about building a *games* machine. That in itself is big selling point. It’ll do multimedia no doubt, but its designed to be a very good games machine first and foremost.

#70 1 year ago
  71. Stardog

@56 There won’t be nothing. There will be Blu Ray 4K or some such format with more space.

#71 1 year ago
  72. Kuwabara

Does anyone remember the sony E3 conference 2005 where the ps3 would come with a hd ip camera and with the ability to stream through many movies at once, and be able to view the surroundings of a friend on ur ps3 network through their ip camera in hd.. I’s skeptical about the whole gaiki features. I know the video sharing feature will come day one, but the whole getting to view another players screen and the ability to communicate with them or take over, i doubt we may see this for years if ever on ps4. I am glad though they showed this conference, because at E3 they can continue where they left and show of more. Aside from imprved graphics and social features, i hope they show off games that are unique that differentiate from current gen.

#72 1 year ago
  73. fearmonkey

My opinion on the reveal was that Sony did a great job at exciting us and teasing us…just enough to get the PS4 excitement rolling. They had to save plenty of stuff for E3, as they probably expect MS to release most of their specs then.

What impressed me with Sony’s presentation is there was no comical flub moments, no Nintendo fireworks or ravi Drums, no Dancing geeks or cute kids miming to a video screen playing a motion control game, no giant crabs or Ridge racer moments at all. Instead we get a presentation that really was more about next gen features than about the games or hardware itself, with just enough of a tease about the games to get our attention.
    Killzone looked really good, like a high end PC game but didnt really make me go WOW! Nothing shown really did that for me, but I wouldnt expect it this early in the year, they have to have some great stuff for E3 or risk giving MS the show.

I thought that Sony being so game focused and feature focused was wonderful. They werent talking about motion controls all the time, they werent relying on gagets, they werent talking about media center this and media center that. The sharing functions where I can record a video of any game, possible take a screenshot, have others come in and watch my game, possibly take over, that is awesome. Anyone that has used Onlive has probably watched the arena and i loved doing that, watching others play games is a good way to see if I would want to play it.

I think MS has been placed on the defensive, and they now have to be concerned with what Sony promised, especially if they cannot deliver it yet with their next console. When they try to counter it at E3 or before, Sony will hopefully have another hand to play, again placing them on the defensive, its a smart move on Sony’s part. They are really leveraging the abilities of Gaikai, and as ar as we know, MS wasnt planning on having cloud services up this soon in the game, so they might be playing catch-up.

I am an xbox owner, havent owned a PS3, and im interested now in the PS4. Sony is making MS squirm a bit, and I love it.

#73 1 year ago
  74. Clupula

I wasn’t going to buy it day one, anyway, because, as I’ve said for a long time, I don’t buy a system until it has enough exclusives I absolutely need (20) to warrant a purchase. Last night, the only game that I absolutely must have is Infamous: Second Son, and that’s only because of how much I enjoyed the first two games in the series.

Otherwise, I wasn’t exactly blown away, but Sony didn’t do anything to drive me away, either. I will say that the display I was watching it on didn’t do justice to how good the graphics in Killzone actually were. They looked about PS3 level where I watching it, but actually looking at HD screenshots, there’s so much details that I haven’t seen that, yeah, it looks a tiny bit better.

And that’s all one can expect from the first wave of a next-gen system. Games that look a little bit better. I remember seeing a few early PS3 games that looked like they could have been done on PS2 (Conan is the one that immediately pops to mind).

Either way, I’ll still be enjoying my PS3, for at least, another two years, before I make the plunge to this.

As for the reveals, I was very disappointed that Ono showed Dragon’s Dogma 2 (or whatever it is currently called) instead of a fighting game, which is what I usually associate him with. On the other hand, no “Last Guardian” or “Final Fantasy Versus XIII” reveals made me happy that there’s still hope they are PS3 games instead of PS4 (I’d settle for a dual release, though, like Destiny, Watch Dogs, and Diablo 3 are getting).

#74 1 year ago
  75. Clupula

Also, as far as Vita connectivity and remote play goes, did I say a little bit ago that Vita would factor into their PS4 plans and that was why they weren’t hyping it up or trying to secure as many exclusives as they need for it?

#75 1 year ago
  76. manamana

@76 you need 20 exclusives to buy a new system? Well, people really have different principles …

#76 1 year ago
  77. Clupula

@78 – I know you’re a Nintendo fan, so I can understand why you’d be happy settling with 2 or 3 exclusives. But I demand more from my systems. The PS3 took a few years to get that number and that’s when I got one. Same with the PS2. I didn’t get one of those until around the time MGS3 was about to come out.

#77 1 year ago
  78. woe

Its going to take a lot more than multiplatform games and target renders to convert the masses.

#78 1 year ago
  79. SlayerGT

All I needed to see.

#79 1 year ago
  80. manamana

@clupula looks to me, like you know just so little and then some…

#80 1 year ago
  81. manamana

@slayer yeah, some need just a video to get exited others need 20 exclusiv titles ;-)

#81 1 year ago
  82. DSB

@81 Goddamn, David Cage is creepy.

#82 1 year ago
  83. manamana

^ thats what I thought when he showed up on stage. Lol

#83 1 year ago
  84. Erthazus

@Clupula, 20 exclusive games? Wow.

I don’t need exclusives, but i’m buying a system if it has 5 Must have titles (not just exclusives) but the games that I will enjoy for sure and i’m a fan of.

So far i’m only interested in infamous: Second Son and tha-a-a-at’s it. Everything else on the PC with superb controls and visuals anyway.

1 game.

#84 1 year ago
  85. SplatteredHouse

It will be in the coming months that I assess PS4.

Two things I did not care for from the presentation: Killzone: Again, and Diablo 3 (because I already have that for PC, and anyway, was hoping for Starcraft Ghost when Blizzard unexpectedly warped in to a console event.)

There were items I did like, but the graphical intensity was not a huge thing to give a shit about – Excepting the case of Deep Down, that actually presented an intensity in its content, using the graphics and computing power. I liked the Drive Club, but that was more due to the smoothness of play, and a seamless roster of things around the central theme that was teased – than the level of exactly captured and recreated thread coverage on any vehicle’s carbon fiber!!
    While the software lineup is largely an unknown quantity, I literally do not know where I am with this airy machine.

#85 1 year ago
  86. harr0w

pretty long winded and boring, killzone 4 was alright nothing special. deep down looked interesting. david cage can fuck off pretentious cunt(you reinvented the dragon quest formula well done!!). no reaction from anyone at microsoft says massive amounts about the overall show. ill be waiting to see what they hsve up there sleeve. ill be sticking to PC gaming because im an elitist cunt

#86 1 year ago
  87. CPC_RedDawn

On the fence or not,

I bet the sales figures of PS3 are going to shoot way down in the next couple of months LOL.

Also I bet that The Last Of Us will be multiplatform (ie on PS3 and PS4).

#87 1 year ago
  88. ManuOtaku

I understand the reasons for being on the fence, theres a few of them that i am not interested and that they are not focus on gaming,like always connected to play, social thing, focus on cloud, etc, but i will get one once it will arrive in my country, like all the previous gens with all consoles., at least it still have the option of physical and digital and the not blocking of second hand sales, the only thing i need to confirm is that it will offer a free PSN or that the always connected is not for physical games, and then i will be quite happy getting one, i know the games will come, just like with microsoft and nintendo.
    p.s i do like that controller a lot, it did improve a lot of things, nice i wonder how microsoft will improve theirs now

#88 1 year ago
  89. Rosseu

I have all of Sony’s consoles and am pretty happy with the game lineup (not against the other consoles – it’s going to be too expensive for me if I have all three). I’m more of an adventure / rpg type of guy so Crapcom’s “Deep Down” got me very interested. If the final product is going to be anything like what was previewed then I’ll have a little faith restored in Crapcom. I also found it more similar to Dark/Demons’ Souls rather than Dragon’s Dogma. Does anyone know if there was a team from From Software that is working on “Deep Down”?

#89 1 year ago
  90. Jeff Dunn

Good article Stephanie, pretty much completely agree. This event didn’t necessarily *have* to happen — I was there too, and I thought it dragged a little towards the end. The PS4 is still very much a work in progress at this point.

Way too many unknowns to form a definitive position just yet. It’s likely that this thing is going to cost a good bit, and that all those neat Gaikai features (basically stuffing OnLive into a console) are going to have a price too.

But Sony has beaten Microsoft to the punch, and have left enough things open for them to counterattack once MS shows its hand. Frustrating, but strategic. I just wish the games were a little more…I don’t know…interesting.

#90 1 year ago
  91. Clupula

@86 – Yeah, I don’t care about the tech, when it really comes down to it. I care about games I can’t get anywhere else. I made the 20 exclusives rule for myself after getting the Saturn in the first few months of its existence. There wasn’t much to play at first and I found myself still using my Genesis/Sega CD more. So, in order to not repeat that again, I made the rule for myself.

#91 1 year ago
  92. Clupula

They have to be exclusives, simply because, otherwise, why am I picking one console over another?

#92 1 year ago
  93. Zohar

I disagree with the article. I’m surprised they showed as much as they did. No one should have realistically expected a price. Not showing the actual console itself is a bit of a head scratcher but it’s possible that the final design isn’t done.

The Gaikai stuff and all of their online functionality is clutch. Being able to have party chat with your friends WHILE they can spectate your game even if they don’t own it… awesome. Being able to have your friends interact with your game in some way (like his example of giving you a health potion, or Ono’s Deep Down showing the player request new gear from a friend) is pretty awesome.

Instant play for downloadable titles is a great feature. Background game installations also awesome. Remote play on the Vita with every single title out of the box (according to the Sony boss today) is just astounding. Still waiting on a Vita price drop but if you’re telling me I can continue playing on my Vita if the Fiance or the Kid want to take over the TV… or if I need a potty break… Damn it I’m sold!

I haven’t really been part of this console generation for various reasons, but I’m ready to jump back in and IMO Sony -killed- their presentation last night.

The -only- thing that surprised me was the fact that EA didn’t show up. We know BF4 was being shown behind closed doors this week. My bet is that they are waiting for E3.

#93 1 year ago
  94. G1GAHURTZ

It seems as though even Sony are still on the fence!

Anyone reminded of the 2 HDMI, 6 USB, Wifi hotspot, PS3?

Suddenly I’m not so sure about the RAM claims…

#94 1 year ago
  95. Zohar

Specs not being finalized doesn’t mean actual electronic hardware per say. Could just be final case design, cooling design, etc… stuff like that. Don’t blame ya for being suspicious though!

#95 1 year ago
  96. Telepathic.Geometry

Seems like they’re cutting it pretty goddamned close doesn’t it? They’re shipping in about 6-9 months…

#96 1 year ago
  97. zersus

Well someone like to hear my humble opinion?
    I personally dislike social media and social networks. I don’t like to share my Information with others, and I don’t care about others sharing things online. I don’t even have a Facebook account and (hopefully) will never have. So, how do I feel about this new SocialStation?

Very uncomfortable. It troubles me that Sony is using my money do develop the PlayStation to serve Facebook. Seeing things become more and more “facebooked” is one thing I don’t like, but this time it is my money which pours in this direction. But I’m still a fan, and I care for this system and I hope it will become great. Here are some thoughts.

First of all I don’t want to have any disadvantages for not connecting my PlayStation to any Social media. This means for example in-game pros/content. The first company ever to announce: “Like us on Facebook and receive this exclusive item” will never see my buying any of their products. And if this means I have to skip an AAA title; so be it! Any poll questions should and must be separate from Social Networks. IF (and I still hope this is never going to happen) I diced to join a Social Network, I like to connect this to my PlayStation and particularly THIS chosen one and not(!) Facebook.

Please don’t argue with: “Why not use a fake account?” Because using a fake account means still to support this madness.

So, this was my very first thought after seeing the presentation. Some one likes to share his opinion to this? PS: Sorry for the inconvenience, English is only my third language.

#97 1 year ago
  98. Telepathic.Geometry

Don’t worry fella, nothin’ wrong with your English…

#98 1 year ago
  99. manamana

@G1GA I don’t think, they can step down from the 8GB RAM. The studios have already developed on that hardware, bringing it down to say 4GB, would mean an immense cut to already developing titles.

Spec changes could mean, number of USB ports, sizes of HDD and other connections.

On the other hand, it’s Sony though. Gotta be careful.

#99 1 year ago
  100. G1GAHURTZ

Very true.

Still, this made me lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EIEN4u2nH5E

#100 1 year ago
  101. manamana

Lol. Not bad. Not bad at all. Loved the samsung-store part.

#101 1 year ago
  102. Samoan Spider

@103 Thats just brightened my morning immeasurably :)

#102 1 year ago