Arma 3 is Steam exclusive, Bohemia Interactive confirms

Thursday, 21st February 2013 14:52 GMT By Dave Cook

Arma 3 developer Bohemia Interactive has confirmed that the latest instalment in its military shooter series will be launching exclusively on Steam.

Bohemia announced the game’s exclusivity over on its blog this afternoon, and developer Joris-Jan van ‘t Land added, “Not only is Arma 3 PC-exclusive, but now we have decided to make it Steam-exclusive as well. Since we expect this will upset some of our fans, I’d like to take the time to honestly explain our motivations.”

Land then went on to explain that Steam’s track-record as a proven distribution platform, smoother gameplay experience, quicker patching as a result of Steamworks and that the removal of piracy were all factors in the decision.

On the issue of piracy he continued, “Think of it what you want, but piracy is affecting us as a business. However, Bohemia Interactive has tried to grow with the evolution of the Internet, rather than to fight it.

“We have removed intrusive Digital Rights Management (DRM) from our games several months after release, but cannot afford to launch without such technologies. We strongly believe the best anti-piracy comes from offering valuable online services that people are willing to invest in.

“Supporting that philosophy: we saw we could not deliver in-house solutions on time, but could take Steam’s and expand upon them. It will be possible to run Steam in Offline mode, and still play the game (with the exception of online services obviously, including multiplayer itself).”

Arma 3 will launch in 2013. What do you make of the decision?

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. Max Payne

Who even use other online stores ? Except maybe mandatory Origin for Battlefield and such.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

It’s dirty dealing, but Bohemia have always been extremely paranoid about piracy.

I remember both OFP and ArmA’s homebrew copy protection breaking both games from time to time completely out of nowhere. In ArmA you got turned into a bird, and in OFP the game would self-destruct slowly so you had to reinstall it. It was just ridiculous.

I wonder what this means for DayZ though. Fire off those e-mails Dave!

#2 1 year ago
  3. GwynbleiddiuM

Don’t really care since I’ll buy it through steam anyway.

#3 1 year ago
  4. nklh4x0r

Games always get pirated, no need for protection.

#4 1 year ago
  5. nollie4545

Steam is the umbilical cord that keeps all PC gamers alive and connected to the mothership. Without Steam to perpetually nurture and nourish us, we would be in the cold darkness, wither and die.

Origin, by contrast, is an invention of the devil, EA, whom I spit upon.

Piracy is a crime against all gamers. And furthermore, given how cheap PC games become, and how much free, open source and shareware gaming is available, it is not necessary. Pirates do nothing for the PC community and it flies in the face of the community spirit given the prevalence of free mods, optional donations to developers and reasonably priced DLC etc etc etc.

#5 1 year ago
  6. RocknRolla

If I want to download a “Pirated” game I will do it and I will have to live with it.. But what I don’t like is the people who try to tell me that I can’t or shouldn’t do it, believe me the developers will get their money one way or the other. Me? I will allways take what I want to take, doesn’t matter if I pay for it or don’t. You worry about your desicions I will worry about mine got that #5 ? I think you did..

#6 1 year ago