Next-gen Kinect specs mark great improvement over predecessor – rumour

Wednesday, 20th February 2013 13:25 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox 720 or Durango or Xbox Next or whatever you want to call it is heavily-rumoured to feature in-built Kinect functionality. Alleged specs for the unit have surfaced online, sparking fresh debate over the console’s enhanced motion capabilities.

The rumour comes from a VGLeaks report, which states that every Xbox 720 unit will come with a Kinect sensor, and that Microsoft has significantly improved its capabilities.

Here’s a quick list of improvements when compared to the original Kinect sensor bar:

• Improved field of view results in much larger play space.
  • RGB stream is higher quality and higher resolution.
  • Depth stream is much higher resolution and able to resolve much smaller objects.
  • Higher depth stream accuracy enables separating objects in close depth proximity.
  • Higher depth stream accuracy captures depth curvature around edges better.
  • Active infrared (IR) stream permits lighting independent processing and feature recognition.
  • End to end pipeline latency is improved by 33 ms
  • Tracking of players with height of one meter.
  • One mode for both seated and standing players.
  • Detection of hand states, for example, open or closed hands.
  • Detection of extra joints, and rotations for some joints.
  • Tracking of six, rather than­­­­­­ two, active players.
  • Tracking of occluded joints, for example, an elbow occluded by a hand.
  • Detection of joint positions.
  • Detection of sideways poses.

The report is full of jargon which I’ll spare you here, but the bottom line is that next-gen Kinect will be better suited to multiplayer titles – up to six players at once apparently – thanks to an increased field of view, and greater skeletal recognition, which should make for increased accuracy.

The sensor will also be able to detect players at just 1.58 metres away, meaning players won’t have to shift their living room suite around any more, and that it is more accommodating to players of varying height.

The sensor will also capture and display your play-space image in HD at 1920 x 1080 resolution, which will display smoother in real-time thanks to an active IR stream. The bar also has four microphones to help pick players up more clearly.

What do you make of the above? Does it sound plausible?

Thanks OXM.

1. ShowUsYourLunch

You’d flippin hope so..

#1 1 year ago
  2. LuLshuck

What are the specs for the next console? like are they better then the wii us and ps3s?

#2 1 year ago
  3. RazorBladeJam

Sounds expensive if true, especially as most will just use it as a remote control.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Gnosis

I’m intrigued. Current-gen Kinect was more successful in brain surgeries than in gaming. Maybe we will have some ground braking medical achievement this time.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Beta

Never been into the whole motion gaming thing. I briefly flirted with eyetoy on the PS2 but it still seems like a bit of a gimmick to me.

If I end up buying a next xbox I’d probably just put a plaster over the camera so it’s not staring at me. ;P

#5 1 year ago
  6. orakaa

IMHO, it’s a real waste of resources.
    Here’s why: casual gamers don’t care for more precision as current Kinect is “enough” for games like “Dance You-name-it”. Look at the wii motion plus sales.

Now better precision and performance could be good for core gamers… except that this public isn’t interested in Kinect (tiring, no feedback, lack of possibilities, etc.). With games like the last Fable and other occurrences, it’s quite clear that games are even MORE LIMITED with only body movement than they are with a controller. Look at the Star Wars game: sure, precision could have been better… but would the game have been better ? No. Gameplay was not fun and boring.

#6 1 year ago
  7. daytripper

Not interested really, I think having it with the box mandatory will put some people off like myself.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gadzooks!

I don’t want a mandatory Kinect, and it might well put me off buying the Nextbox at launch.

I have to disconnect mine as it makes Forza horizon and the system video player practically unusable due random voice/gesture mis-reads.

It isn’t an accuracy problem, Kinect just fundamentally doesn’t work as in interface.

#8 1 year ago
  9. mistermogul

I’m like most others on here and not interested in Kinect 2.0.

I’d rather MS just went back to being more hardcore-orientated like they were when they started in this business.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Samoan Spider

@9 Sad fact is, hardcore just aren’t worth enough money to them. Casual is where its at. Look at the runaway success of the Wii. Can’t say that had anything to do with your average VG247 reader. Its just business, and everyone is having to follow the mantra ‘Diversify or die’.

#10 1 year ago
  11. xxJPRACERxx

Hey, it could detect the movement my dick make when I have a hard on or calculate the velocity of my shit exiting my ass and hitting the floor, I don’t care about this crap. The $50 or so it cost MS to include it in the box could have been spend elsewhere, like better CPU and/or GPU. Fuck this shit!

#11 1 year ago
  12. melonbuster1

Hypocritical ranting. People say Sony is doing a great job putting a crappy eyetoy 3 in the box. A rip off of the Kinect. Kinect 2 is a better product. Sony is going to stream games wow Microsoft is doing that too. Sony is going to allow you to use tablets to interact with the system oh boy Microsoft does that now .nothing that Sony does is new . If you had an xbox you would know. Now the pay for service that Sony will have will cost more than xbox live and won’t be as good. Remember Xbox720 will only get better Sony can only catch up

#12 1 year ago
  13. DSB

@10 Based on what exactly?

The Wii couldn’t move a third party title if it’s life depended on it. The only one that springs to mind is Just Dance.

Hunting for casual played a pretty big role in taking down THQ, and didn’t Kinect only get adopted by about 25%?

Honestly I think it’s more about making sure that Nintendo is being challenged. At least that’s the story I’d use with shareholders based on that general performance.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Nicolas Pottier

Ryse online versus with Kinect 2.0 can be awesome ! Even if the game is on rail (and I think it will be better that way), I think it will be really enjoyable to play with a better Kinect.

#14 1 year ago
  15. melonbuster1

By the way my Xbox is online always and my Kinect is hooked up as well. Never an issue. So why are you guys crying. Its in the box its not something you have to find and buy . If you don’t want it buy a Ps4. Oh yeah that eyetoy is in the box too. Grow up. If you want to stay in the stone ages do so . When your ready to join the rest of us come on. I will buy all of them like I did this generation. I love games so I just buy what I want to get my fix

#15 1 year ago
  16. Gadzooks!

#12

The difference is the PS4 Kinect comes with a Move-enabled physical controller, and that actually works as intended. Kinect alone does not.

Of course we have no idea if MS’s Kinect will have a companion controller yet. If it does then there may be hope for them.

If it doesnt then I fear it’s the end of Xbox.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Samoan Spider

@15 +1

@13 http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/ The wii didn’t need to move a 3rd party title much. The 1st party ones made them plenty of money. I agree its about making sure Nintendo (and Sony) are being challenged, but this whole notion that the hardcore are the only important target for games/console makers has become completely outdated. That is not the business that it has become. For good or bad. Also yes hunting for casual only hurt THQ because they were misguided. MS and Sony are not.

#17 1 year ago
  18. daytripper

So we have to “grow up” and like Kinect. If I don’t like something then so be it, it’s very telling you insult the people rather than the opinion.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Beta

@12 You’ve never seen or used a Kinect 2 or an Xbox 720. You’ve never seen or used a new Playstation Eye or a PS4. You couldn’t possibly have any idea about how the subscription pricing will compare to Live or indeed the features it will include.

So what are you basing your argument on?

#19 1 year ago
  20. Gnosis

@18: I think, it’s rather amusing that he brings up the whole Ps4 deal. Most ppl here explicitly said that they just aren’t into motion controls, wether it’s Kinect, PS Move or whatever. But apparently we’re the ones who has to “grow up”. Pff.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DSB

@17 But you’re talking about one company out of an entire industry that has actually made some decent business by having a casual focus.

As much as Nintendo must have made on their first party stuff, imagine what they could’ve made if they could actually profit on the disc license that they themselves invented. Moving 100 million consoles and barely being able to break a million on third party releases isn’t a succes.

And even then, it looks like Nintendos victory could turn out to be a pyrrhic one. They’ve lost everything they gained on the Wii already.

I’m not saying it’s black and white, and that Sony and Microsoft shouldn’t try to sway the family crowd as well, but it’s just very far from a goldrush.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Samoan Spider

@21 I do agree there, its far from a gold mine and all parties need to be careful. Nintendo’s victory could indeed be pyrrhic but its too early to call and I can’t see any of the 3 main contenders stumbling so much as to crash out of the race. Even with forced Kinect, Eye and the WiiU tablet. And even with the Steambox and numerous Android based (and possibly Apple) offerings on the way. But I also think a lot of people forget that these companies are here to make money.

Edit: And yes Ninty have had a casual focus and won a lot of business which has crept away over the years, but I would say its crept because of Kinect and Move, so MS and Sony won’t be convinced by shareholders to ditch this tech in a hurry.

#22 1 year ago
  23. DSB

@22 Yeah, true that.

I think Nintendo are in for a rough ride. And maybe that goes some way to explain the need for new Kinects and Moves better than anything – if the WiiU should crush Nintendo as a hardware company, it would leave that market wide open.

I’m mostly excited to see what the Steambox can do though. Right now we know nothing, so it could be anything. It would make such a great story if 300 geniuses from Washington manage to cause a stir with their own little box.

#23 1 year ago
  24. melonbuster1

You don’t have to grow up if you don’t want to. I just said if you dont like it don’t buy it. I will buy all of them and the prices on the online won’t be told tonight. Please they are going to say the Ps4 will be released this holiday season. .lol..and give you the basics of the system. They do it all the time. And I only buy games for the Kinect that I like. No one is forcing you to get anything. It’s a free country. I have a Wiiu and love it. People are saying its going to die. Nope the games are coming. I have a vita and love they say its dead and I say the games are coming. Buy the stuff you want and stop the Xbox bashing.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Samoan Spider

@23 Yeah, I’m keen to see what happens with the Steambox, and if the WiiU take Ninty out of the game, it’ll be a huge void to fill with some clever marketing. Might even give MS and Sony a bit of slush money to start throwing at exclusives and shiny things for the hardcore audience. Not to say anyone failing is good, look at the void Sega left, but that is life and business. A carcass is food for the living.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Beta

Nobody is bashing Xbox. They’re stating that they don’t enjoy motion gaming in general.

And then you swan in with ‘Oh grow up everyone. Let me tell you why you’re wrong.’

#26 1 year ago
  27. daytripper

@24 ill say what I like, I don’t like certain parts of Xbox’s strategy, big deal , I still buy games for it. I don’t like Nintendos strategy, again big deal and same with some of Sonys implementations. Don’t tell me what to think or what I can and cannot say. I wouldn’t be bothered hating a company or loving one. It’s not my mentality…even as a child. I had Kinect, got rid of it, thought it was shit, no big deal. Who cares? Play, buy, rent, borrow what you like.

#27 1 year ago
  28. OlderGamer

“Next-gen Kinect specs mark great improvement over predecessor”

I still don’t care. And if the focus is on always having the system online and having Kinect always watching me…I won’t be owning a new Xbox.

#28 1 year ago
  29. G1GAHURTZ

paranoia or what!?

#29 1 year ago
  30. OlderGamer

Well, they did have cams in TVs in Orwells 1984.

#30 1 year ago
  31. DSB

I heard that if you just wear a tinfoil hat (TM) all day, it’ll stop the Kinect from stealing your innermost thoughts.

#31 1 year ago
  32. SlayerGT

Can you use it in the dark? Or do you still have to have lights on?

#32 1 year ago
  33. absolutezero

Even with a “great improvement” Kinect will still be fundamentally broken.

Right now I have a Kinect perched on top of my TV, I had to put a third party over its camera to make it usable in the space available, I had to turn off voice recognition because it kept on complaining about not being able to hear me over the sound of the fucking TV its sitting on.

Its made the 360 UI a clusterfuck of menus and endless boxes, everything is not horizontal to make hand swipes easier. Only half the time those never work either.

Thing is even if you remove all of the technical problems there have been next to no games to actually take advantage of it, the games themselves don’t seem to know how to correctly add kinect into normal gameplay. The best titles ended up being mini-games and XBLA experiments.

At leas tif it actually works now it might stop constantly interrupting gameplay to moan about it being too dark, or too noisy, or that I’m moving too much, or I’m too far away or too near. Then the game gets me to jump about and move in order to interact and the cycle starts again.

#33 1 year ago
  34. OlderGamer

That ofc is more of what I mean AZ. I own a Kinect as well. I never use it, can’t think of any compeling reason/game to use it. And in the few times when I did try it, it just didn’t deliver. But worse then its failure is the fact that I can not even envision a game where I would want to use it.

Imo, a complete waste of time. I know not everyone will agree with that, and that is ok. But it isn’t something I want, and that is ok too.

#34 1 year ago
  35. theevilaires

That all has me wondering what the next PlayStation Eye will be capable of…..just a few more hours

#35 1 year ago
  36. Samoan Spider

@35 Now that’s a good point. I still think it’ll feel like a a tacked on feature like Kinect, but it’ll be interesting none the less. All I would say is that MS threw a lot of money at this early on with both software and hardware that does some pretty clever things so they do have a head start. Combine it with a decent controller though and all bets are off.

#36 1 year ago
  37. monkeygourmet

2014:

Kinect 2, always on: advanced voice recognition technology.

Picks up buzz words in conversations, e.g. ‘Game of Thrones’, ‘Skrillex’. Data bank of words connected to an advertisers database.

Next time you turn on your Next Box:

MS & Kinect recommends you watch ‘Game of Thrones!’

Advertisers flock too new Xbox as it enables them to log users purchases and conversations to help with advertising and product placement.

2017:

First crime solved using Kinect 2 as a virtual ‘witness’

A man beats up his girlfriend in front of his Xbox. She reports it, police for the first time ask MS to provide evidence via the recorded Kinect 2 video feed.

2018:

MS announces Kinect 2 has been evolving using the cloud to learn new commands and track emotions.

2019:

First Kinect 2 device refuses to do what it’s user wanted. Has developed primative hive mind Artificial Intelligence.

MS refuses to comment on rumours or speculation.

2020:

A Kinect 2 device which has actually managed to emulate the ‘Anger’ emotion gives a user a lethal electric shock through the Xbox pad for playing Kane and Lynch 4 (voted the worst game of all time.) Apparently the Kinect 2 device researched the metacritic score and ‘punished’ the user for their purchase.

#37 1 year ago
  38. theevilaires

@36 one thing about SONY though they will always take someones idea and improve on it so Microsoft better be aware although from a software stand point I’m sure Kinect 2 will have the advantage.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Erthazus

I’m not so Pro about camera specs, but let’s just say that Kinect 2.0 is the most advanced thing on planet earth. It will read everything and it will be ideal.

but what software you can create for it? Kinect 1.0 showed that you can’t do something for it. It’s just lame in the end.

I don’t want to ask my TV to turn off or on and I don’t want to play games screaming: KINECT, RESTORE MY HEALTH

#39 1 year ago
  40. Bloodyghost

My whole problem with this is that it’s not a option and MS isn’t focusing their production and money on the next gen system. It may just be a weaker console by contrast, because a more powerful kinect is a more expensive on so even if the PS4 and Xbox NEXT is priced the same, they will be of two different powers unless Sony’s whole EYE tech is true.

Also I hope they really make the damn thing work like their Kinect demo. What a shit load of lies that was. SCANNING STUFF! REALISTIC AI INTERATION! Nope. MS also needs to know how to make it more accurate for my 7 foot ass to play it’s games on it too.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Eddie Rodrigues

@39 I… agreed? It (1.0) was a big letdown since it clearly showed us that we could play Skate with… our skates… In the end we barely could do stuff like making the avatar wear the same clothes we were using.

Let’s hope it won’t be all about the Avatars.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Samoan Spider

@39 Some of the hacks that came out from clever pc coders and university departments showed potential for Kinect. I would just like to see some of this ingenuity come through into the games. And not in a Fable:On rails way, or even the Skyrim: Shout shit at your telly edition.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Gnosis

@42: Sure, it has a hell lot of potential. I remember tons of articles and scientific papers just about how useful it is in medicine, physics, astronomy, geology, etc. It’s incredible. Maybe it’s just not meant to be used for video games. I don’t know. Just seems weird to me how well it works in basically everything, but gaming.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Samoan Spider

@43 Yup, needs a little innovation or abandoning to gimmickware games like Kinect Adventures/Sports. Does work insanely well in quadcopters but then that doesn’t really help us now :)

#44 1 year ago
  45. drewbles82

I don’t mind the kinect as long as they do some decent games this time round. It was fun for parties and even some fun exercise but for people living with thin walls, apartment buildings, not gonna work at all with all the jumping about you do.

#45 1 year ago