Study suggests that gamers have increased control over their dreams

Wednesday, 20th February 2013 09:41 GMT By Dave Cook

New studies at the MacEwan University in Canada suggest that gamers have greater control over their dreams, encouraging us to subconsciously fight back and manipulate what we experience.

New Scientist reports that scientist Jayne Gackenbach took interest in her son’s love of games, and determined that people who regularly play games view their dreams as a progressive narrative, one that they can alter and resist subconsciously

Meanwhile Eva Murzyn at the University of Derby has suggested that regular players of World of Warcraft will often slap the game’s GUI into their dream subconsciously, which is kind of like the Tetris Effect, but madder.

Thanks Destructoid.

1. friendlydave

Interesting read but I feel like I’ve read a study on this back when I was in University…

Ha I see it was the Jayne Gackenbach study I was referring to. Slow morning for me indeed.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dragon246

LOL?

#2 1 year ago
  3. noamlol2

well, i do can control my dreams but i can’t control what will i dream about

but i do think games could enhance dreams

#3 1 year ago
  4. RazorBladeJam

In the future you will be able to save your progress via the cloud.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Samoan Spider

Hmm, I enjoyed reading that. Thanks Dave. I definitely experienced that Tetris effect before. Maddeningly it was because of Lumines. But as for controlling dreams, I never remember my dreams. I do know that I have easily rewound events I don’t like and manipulated them, even though I can’t remember or control the content. How strange, I thought this was normal :).

#5 1 year ago
  6. Cobra951

My problem with dream control is that it wakes me up. Maybe I’m waking up anyway, and that’s why I can control it. Who knows.

#6 1 year ago
  7. MadFingerz

haha, never heard about that tetris effect thing but I sure suffer from it :p

#7 1 year ago