PS4 reveal could feature a God of War announcement – rumour

Wednesday, 20th February 2013 10:37 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 is expected to be revealed tonight, along with a string of debut games. God of War developer Sony Santa Monica Studio has dropped a mighty big tease about something that could be Kratos-flavoured for tonight.

Could this be a new PS4 God of War title, or would it be too soon considering God of War: Ascension is yet to release?

Thanks Mojo and Mike W.

1. hives

No, come on Sony, that would NOT be awesome. How long they can exploit this universe? Geez…

Blood & gore with next-gen graphics, yaaaay.

2. Erthazus

Too soon. I want something new from them.

God Of War 4 would be a mistake. IMO

3. Mike W

I think a portion of your income should go to me and mojo Dave. ;)

4. mojo

gow 4 would be awesomesauce.
    That alone would make me buy ps4 day one.

5. Mike W

If anything I think it will be a tech demo showing what the PS4/Orbis can do.

6. Erthazus

How about GoW Vita?

7. Hoika

@6 I was just about to say the same thing. GOW Vita

8. Dave Cook

Yep, GoW Vita is a possibility. I think many folk are assuming the event to be PS4 only, while forgetting about Vita. Good shout.

9. Mike W

Yea GOW Vita, will be great.

10. Hoika

@8 Sony is going to use all this attention to give the PS3 and Vita a boost too. I think we’ll get 2 or 3 announcements for the Vita (hopefully GoW Vita) and a few trailers for PS3 before we get the PS4 announcement

11. SolidGamerSnake

They might aswell just be referring to the PS4 itself.

“What does our future hold for tommorow?”- What game console are our games gonna release on next.

While the box of pandora reference might just be Sony Santa Monicas image for the reveal

12. Fin

Alright, I’ve had enough of these rumours.

13. Liamc723

I don’t think it’s God Of War, look at this reply from SSM that was in response to someone talking about hype:

“ha, not in the slightest, we are 1000000000% focused on Ascension right now”

14. hives

Kratos Kart (Charriot) Racing!

15. theevilaires

Yup its gonna be a Vita GOW. Has to be and I’m sure Gran Turismo will follow one day as well. Has to or it wouldn’t be an official PlayStation product.

16. Moonwalker1982

I don’t believe it was Sony Santa Monica who made them, but give us a new Syphon Filter!!!!

17. SameeR_Fisher

well remember the rumors about God of War 4 back before E3, and how it had Co-Op and Kratos escaping hell or something ?!, maybe God of War 4 is coming to the PS4 after all ?!, not in 2013, but probably 2014.

Or maybe Santa Monica has been working on another title, hint hint Heavenly Swords 2

18. orakaa

@17: Heavenly Sword didn’t sell that well and isn’t a particularly loved title (gameplay was really horrible). Not saying there’s no future for it, but I don’t think it would be good to put too much effort on it.

It would also remind people of PS3′s launch… and I don’t think Sony would want that…

19. SameeR_Fisher

@18: it had flaws YES, but the combat isn’t one of them if you ask me, back at E3 there were rumours about HS2, and people were excited, and I would take HS2 over GoW4 -just to give God of War a rest that it really needs-.

and this is Sony we are talking about, they don’t forsake their IPs, so I am hopeful.

20. orakaa

@19: I know it’s totally different, but I’d REALLY prefer a new Syphon Filter over a new Heavenly Sword. I loved HS’s art, landscape and scenery, but I couldn’t get into the game: it felt boring and combat/gameplay (to me) felt really bad, clunky and boring. Lacked punch, impact, speed.

For launch titles, I think they should either aim for sequels of already successful titles or totally new IPs (as we may have with Quantic Dream).

21. SameeR_Fisher

@20: Syphon Filter ?!, NOW WE ARE TALKING, I was over the roof when I heard the rumours back before E3 with God of War 4 rumours, I was really disappointed about that there were no Syphon Filter announcements at E3.

But to be honest I want Syphon Filter on the PS3, it may take me some time to buy a PS4, and I love Syphon Filter.

22. OmegaSlayer

New IP or a God Of War reboot in…say…Nordic Mythology, with new and different gameplay mechanics, new story, not based on family massacre…and Amon Amarth soundtrack :p

23. NooB GobliN

Anything that’s not a remake or a sequel would be greatly appreciated.

24. Clupula

God of War 4 would definitely get me excited. A reboot would be absolute bullshit. I’m hoping the Norse mythology DLC stuff in Ascension is a hint at what happens in 4.

25. Clupula

As for Heavenly Sword 2, I wouldn’t mind it as long as they got someone better than Ninja Theory to handle it. The story and cinematics in that were awesome, but the gameplay was like a third-rate GOW rip-off.

26. Erthazus

I’m not sure that they will return to HS at all.

In my opinion it was the best NT game, but gameplay was so horrible.

27. The_Red

The live on stage part indeed feels like a Vita walkthrough demo as Erthazus suggested.

28. osric90

No PS4.

29. Judicas

Just watched the presentation, didn’t see santa monica studios at all ?