PS4 console mock-up appears, smells like Photoshop

Wednesday, 20th February 2013 10:22 GMT By Dave Cook

It was only a matter of time really. The first PS4 mock-up of the day has landed, and if you smell your screen while looking at it, you can make out the pong of Photoshop and a crowd of people laughing.

Well, you have to give them points for trying. The image creator has Photo-shopped the pad so that it resembles images of the actual controller leaked last week.

The rig itself just looks like a PS3 with a Mac Mini welded on top.

Thoughts?

Cheers NeoGAF.

1. Mike W

yea that’s photoshop.

2. Mike W

Hey Dave, it’s a tweet that Santa Monica posted that stated the “box of Pandora may be open again today” what in God’s name do you think that means?

3. Dave Cook

@3 Maybe a new GoW game? Got the link man?

4. mojo

i posted it in the ps4 announcement news.

5. Dave Cook

@4 Legend, thank you :)

6. Mike W

Yea bro (or ‘mate’ how you UK guys say it) ;)

7. orakaa

Definitely Photoshop. But the good news is that we’ll probably have official data tonight

8. mistermogul

Probably a photoshop job but I must say I quite like the look of the console if it ended up that way!

9. Samoan Spider

I quite like the look of it, has a dose of PS2 flavour in there too. But its very clearly a p-shop job so we will have to wait and see. Don’t imagine it’ll be the last today either.

10. DrDamn

Pad looks like this one …

Which I’d really like to see as part of the touch pad. Even a basic screen like that would do wonders for functionality and could be where that “Share” button is hiding :)

11. Zarckan

it’s NOT A FUCKING SCREEN ON THE PAD!!!!

JAYSUS

12. theevilaires

I’m sorry if you guys disagree but I love that controller. A worthy looking successor to the DS3 in my opinion.

13. Dave Cook

@11 Yep, it’s not a screen. Just a touch pad.

14. DrDamn

YEAH BUT IT WOULD BE REALLY NICE IF IT WAS!

15. mad1723

Comes from Neogaf, on the topic of the leaked controller ;) And yes, it is not real

16. Deacon

@12 – I agree! looks lovely!

17. theevilaires

the more I look at that controller the more I want it. seems so simple and totally gets rid of the need for the XMB. Damn let that controller be real!

18. Deacon

I like the way it has a gloss finish faceplate and the rest of the controller matt. Looks brilliant.

Compared to the other (somewhat more legit-looking) image, this looks way nicer.

Can’t comment on usability just yet…

19. theevilaires

It just looks sexy like a PS3/vita controller. If thats not official PlayStation 4 controller hardware than whatever company makes it a third party peripheral I will buy and use it as my main controller. As a matter of fact if its fake I’m willing to pay for the rights to own the design and produce these bad boys for all of us gamers.

I want that damn controller!

20. ativegamers

This image is official? is awesome!

21. Joe Musashi

This looks ‘shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few ‘shops in my time.

JM

22. theevilaires

i don’t care if the console is shop I just want the controller to be real. It just seems so perfect in concept.

That camera Icon- Take a screen shot anytime in the game. Fucking sweet. Or go to your photo gallery on HDD to send a pic to a friend.

Movie Icon- assign it launch Netflix or go to Movie folder on console. if you’re in a game it will pause the game and start the movie.

Music icon- Duh in-game custom soundtrack galore at the touch of a button.

Game Icon- launches you into the last played game automatically, or when long pressed brings up the last 5 games you played so you can select which game to start playing, or quickly accept game invites to jump into your friends game.

Web Icon- launches the web browser to your last viewed web page,home page,or just take a break from gaming and comment on VG24/7 ;)

and last but not least

Friends Icon- gets you to your messages instantly from your friends when you see notification come up that you have a message from Spider-Law,Lex,Reask or whoever.

All I’m waiting for is the conference tonight. If SONY doesn’t show that controller as being official. I’m stealing the design from whoever made this and mass producing these things I swear. That controller is just too fucking awesome to just be photoshop art.

23. daytripper

@22 Do you think a MiiVerse type app for PS4 would be a good idea? Share video, photos and posts with other friends, join game communities and so forth, call it Unity or something

24. theevilaires

Thats what it almost seems like that controller is set up to be. The Wii U MiiVerse thing is cool I have to say. A lot of people showing off their drawing skills (Spider-Law could brag all day on that ;) )

Looking at the Vita the XMB is gone for sure with the PS4 but I think this controller set up will make it easier for all of us who love the XMB to easily transfer over to whatever the PS4 UI will be. Ergonomically this controller is the dualshock and should feel the same while giving it new features but still not entirely copying the Wii U gamepad. The no screen would help keep cost very affordable too unlike the Wii U gamepad.

I’m telling you this controller could be huge. Remember how awesome Logitech’s wireless PS2 and original XBOX controllers were last gen and they felt better than the 1st party counter parts.

25. monkeygourmet

Nice mock up.

Im almost 100% that Sony will charge for online gaming in some way or another with the PS4.

The only reason they couldn’t with the PS3 was because of the crazy high asking price VS. the 360 & Wii.

It would have been suicide for them to not only charge the highest price but then also charge for online too. Once the price dropped abit, PS Plus appeared.

I think it’s only natural to go with the Pay to Play online option as the services they will be offering (free games, free 2 play games, movies, streaming games, cross chat, video chat, share for gaming video’s, demo’s etc… etc..) need a lot of money to maintain.

It’s either that or a shit load of advertising? MS seems to do both which is very greedy and there’s no way Nintendo could charge for their online offering as it stands.

I was really suprised yesterday seeing so many people saying they were going to ‘jump ship’ if Sony charged for online.

I really don’t have a problem paying a small amount if it helps to improve the quality of the service. Saying that, I really don’t like MS putting adverts ONTOP of a paid service, that just sucks.

Nintedo’s Miiverse is still the best online i’ve seen on a console, mainly for the forum style chat and picture system and I can only see that getting better and better over time.

The Sony control is nice but I really think they have missed out a trick not putting a proper screen in the pad.

I assume the built in ‘Move’ will aid on screen selection but a touch pad will never be that handy as it’s hard to trace exactly where you are from a co-ordinate with the onscreen data.

I can see the touch pad being more handy for media selection, ie: ‘swipe’ to select the next music track or for fast forward / rewind but not really sure how well it will work out for games.

For example on LBP, with the Wii U pad, you would be able to drag and drop items to create levels. With the PS4 touch pad and move you would have to point the cursor at a block on screen then move it with the pad to place it. Not too difficult but I can’t really see the benefits for much in the way of gameplay. I hope they will show more examples of how this will work later.

And I still wish they would swap the d-pad over with the left stick or at least offer the choice of both options.

As for MS, I really hope the suggested specs were for the media hub SKU and the proper specs of the 720 will be vastly improved. MS has the cash to go all out and really make the 720 a beast of a machine. I really don’t understand why they would let Sony beat them in a power race if these consoles are to last 8 years.

I hope they offer 2 machines, one media focused with Kinect 2; and one super powerful machine with Kinect 2 as the current suggested specs are pretty weak especially as alot of the power will be eaten up by media functions.

26. Jogo

two wiius taped together…

#26 1 year ago