Battlefield will dominate next-gen as Call of Duty hits its peak, says Pachter

Wednesday, 20th February 2013 11:32 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield will topple the Call of Duty franchise going into the next generation of consoles, according to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter.

Speaking in the current issue of OXM, Pachter said, “The CoD franchise is at or near its peak annual sales potential, and we’ll likely see sales stabilise. Battlefield 4′s launching next autumn and new consoles are coming out, so this is likely to affect sales.

“It’s unlikely CoD will drop back to Earth in the next few years, as the online multiplayer audience and community is so strong. Activision could always make a mistake, but the franchise is so important to it that a serious error is unlikely. The biggest risk is consumer fatigue – but a few years ago CoD was a WWII shooter, and it morphed into Modern Warfare, then Black Ops. They will work hard to keep it fresh.”

EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich told the site earlier, “While momentum is on CoD’s side, the opportunity to dethrone a market leader is highest as consumers transition cycles. We have faith CoD can hold its market dominance, but EA will push to solidify Battlefield as the premiere shooter franchise as we transition to new consoles.

It comes as Battlefield 4 has been shown to retailers behind closed doors.

1. The Auracle

Hol’ up… Pachter said something that doesn’t kiss the gluteus maximus muscle that ActiVision posesses?

I never had you down as the trolling type, Mr Cook. :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. Max Payne

Unlike cod , Battlefield will really benefit from next gen in terms of size of level,numbers of player, destruction… But what will CoD focus on I really want to know.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 you never know man, CoD may surprise us. I wouldn’t rule it out. BF3 will benefit from DICE’s technical wizardry that’s for sure.

#3 1 year ago
  4. theevilaires

@2 exploding limbs I’m sure. Also better destructible enviroments.

#4 1 year ago
  5. G1GAHURTZ

Forget Battlefield, it’s gameplay is simply not mass market enough.

I think CoD will probably start to fall off if it doesn’t move forward significantly, but lose to Battlefield? I seriously doubt it.

Respawn’s new IP and possibly, (even though it’s Acti, too) Destiny are more likely IYAM.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthazus

I don’t care about sales.

Call Of Duty is a stupid and dumbed down “running and gunning” FPS game that barely evolved over the years with it’s 99s Id Tech 3 engine. Nothing changed since Quake 3:Arena. I’m not saying that I hate running and gunning games, but it’s just never evolved at all.

Maybe next CoD will be better. Now, with a lot of processing power and memory we can have physics and other stuff that should help developers.

Battlefield 3 on the other hand was fantastic, but I missed commanders and biggers maps (latest DLC had fantastic huge maps). + while 64 players was awesome I thought that for BF3 we could see 128 players but it never happened.
    Frostbyte 2 was awesome.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dave Cook

@6 Regarding CoD: you’re entirely wrong

Regarding Battlefield: yes

Bad Company 2 > BF3 by a clear mile in my book.

#7 1 year ago
  8. datass

Activision needs to lose modern warfare and black ops and create something new…I know that will get my attention…

#8 1 year ago
  9. RazorBladeJam

Dinosaurs & graphical overhaul with the new consoles will see CoD dominate for a few years yet.

#9 1 year ago
  10. roadkill

@3 CoD surprise us? Lol! Good one mate!

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dave Cook

@10 SO you’ve seen what the next-gen CoD looks like then? Please enlighten us all, I’m dying to know more.

Seriously, let’s hear it.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Erthazus

“Regarding CoD: you’re entirely wrong”

Since when? So it’s not true that they used the same engine all over the time with the same textures and assets?
    Come on.
    CoD multiplayer in general is weak and unbalanced. The only reason why it became so popular is because it was the first decent multiplayer running and gunning shooter on consoles that was in modern setting + killstreaks. That’s it.

Before Modern Warfare, CoD was not that big and it had the same multiplayer in it’s basic form.

I’m not talking about singleplayer because riding on a horse and shooting from stinger (with Auto AIM) at soviet vehicles was ve-e-e-e~e~e~ry exciting.

“Bad Company 2 > BF3 by a clear mile in my book.”

I liked both. But BF3 in my opinion was much better. It was more focused on what it supposed to do. Maps were also limited in Bad Company 2.
    Battlefield always was about 64 players and massive maps.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dave Cook

@12 millions of people still Call of Duty and still enjoy it. Just because YOU don’t like something doesn’t make it wrong.

Not having a go, but surely this is common knowledge.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Fin

Sup bro.
    How many hours did you play Black Ops MP for again? I forget.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Erthazus

Sales does not mean nothing Dave. Millions of people eat at Mc Donalds everyday.

@14, Zero.

#15 1 year ago
  16. bitsnark

@13 I enjoy the single-player campaigns in CoD; they make for great spectacle shooters despite their linearity and other issues. The bundle of muscle-twitch fiber that the multiplayer is however, isn’t really my thing though.

Reagrdless, I can see why people enjoy and continue to embrace it – its just not my bag.

@14 :D

#16 1 year ago
  17. Dave Cook

@15 yes it does, it means a lot. it means 12 million people are still willing to pay to play Call of Duty, just like millions enjoy the taste of McDonalds.

Why is this so hard to accept?

I know it’s cool and hardcore or whatever to slam Call of Duty for its popularity every chance some people get, but it’s just fucking immature.

Just let people like what they like. Is it too much to ask?

#17 1 year ago
  18. Erthazus

Justin Bieber is also popular, that does not make him a fantastic singer.

or… Gugnam style has billion views at youtube while this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3217H8JppI has only 12 million views.

I’m not talking about people and sales. I’m talking about games quality and quality has nothing to do with numbers.

If we are talking about sales only then of course Call Of Duty is KING of FPS games in Sales.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Fin

So which is it, 500 or 0?

#19 1 year ago
  20. Dave Cook

@18 but people like Bieber, and they like Call of Duty? What’s the problem?

#20 1 year ago
  21. Max Payne

Bieber > Beethoven

#21 1 year ago
  22. TheBlackHole

The big FPS of next gen will NOT be anything we know about now. Every generation of consoles brings a new king of the FPS.

N64/PS2 – Goldeneye
    Xbox/PlayStation 2 – Halo
    360/Ps3 – CoD

You’ve got Respawn, Bungie, both making new FPS franchises, as well as the usual suspects, plus who knows what other devs like ID, Epic et al are cooking up?

#22 1 year ago
  23. Erthazus

@20, No problem at all. I’m not talking about people that like Call Of Duty. I’m talking about the game, game developers and my opinion about how good it is. Sales has nothing to do with it in most cases.

Battlefield can sell 10 copies and I don’t care about numbers at all but if it is good, it’s good. That what matters.

Sales = marketing campaign
    Sales =/= good game

@Fin, “That’s weird. You’ve said before (and showed a screenshot) of something like 500 hours played.”

and that screenshot had some kind of account on it? Bro?

@TheBlackHole, Do you know that CoD games were before 360 and PS3? Or that FPS games were before Golden Eye?

#23 1 year ago
  24. mkotechno

COD is reusing its engine since 2005, the coders that originally made it left Infinity Ward, in last years seems to be managed by code monkeys that just add patches, the engine is too old and bloaty too made a great gen upgrade so they need a full engine rewrite expensive in money and time, and also needs genius coders… or maybe they can license other Activision great game engine OH WAIT there is none!

Activision is really fucked up, they didn’t do their work last years. Now its late, the next-gen is almost here.

#24 1 year ago
  25. ArcticMonkey

I don’t really understand why Pachter equates the seeming simultaneous releases of Battlefield 4 and new consoles with higher sales for the Battlefield franchise. Surely Activision won’t sit out on the console launches.

For me, sure its a possibility Battlefield could overtake COD in sales, COD’s sure to level off at some point. Both of these games are known quantities with the consumer, just because people may tire of COD does not mean they will flock to EA’s competitor. People will tire of the modern set fps, a trait they both share.

Battlefield 4 could have some major innovations, maybe that’s where this talk comes from, but I would think these two games stay in their positions as the 1 and 2 of competitive online multiplayer until an entirely new MP game topples them.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Fin

Nah, you’ve been cautious not to reveal your Steam account name.
    But hey, if you want to tell us all now to show you haven’t played Black Ops for 500 hours (and subsequently, have been lying for quite some time), feel free!

Or you could stop being an asshole and bitching about everything.
    That works too.

#26 1 year ago
  27. mojo

i hope they can come up with something similiar brilliant as bfbc2 and not the bland piece of shit that was bf3

#27 1 year ago
  28. TheBlackHole

Yes, and did you notice that I said CONSOLES, not THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF GAMING.

Consoles didn’t really have a dominant shooter IP before Goldeneye, and CoD didn’t dominate consoles until the current gen. So, my point stands.

#28 1 year ago
  29. LuLshuck

Battlefield 3 was utter shite, noobie as fuck even more noobier then as bfbc2 which is an amazing game but it still noobie compared to there previous games

#29 1 year ago
  30. Samoan Spider

@29 What a well thought out and mature response to add to the debate. I thank you kind sir for your thoughts.

Edit: This relates to your previous unedited post of “Battlefield 3 was utter shite, noobie as fuck” before you added anything else

Anyway, I have to agree with Blackhole on this. And thats no bad thing, we need something new, not more of the same.

2nd Edit: Erth, MoH was more popular and relevant than CoD before this console generation so it adds credence to the fact that things change with each iteration.

#30 1 year ago
  31. bitsnark

People complaining about the lack of progressive game engines in regards to CoD should spare a thought for the poor wrestling fans out there; the WWE games have been using the same game engine since the original Smackdown released in 1999.

That’s the same engine across three console generations!

Ouch!

#31 1 year ago
  32. G1GAHURTZ

Stop lying Erthazus, you big fat troll faced liar.

You must have some serious issues to play a game for 500 hours, then slag it off, then tell everyone that you played it for 500 hours, then continue to slag it off, then deny that you’ve ever played it before…

That’s a really “sup bar” attitude you got there…

#32 1 year ago
  33. NooB GobliN

I would say that depends entirely if they make a more appeling and better game.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Erthazus

@32, Where did I lied? I never said that “I never played it for 500 hours” and never denied it too.
    Stop bitchin’ Call Of Duty fanboy. 500 hours for me is not that much and Yes, I played BO and it sucks.
    I played Battlefield games for much more hours for example.

but i’m interested on how much you spent playing these games. Maybe 20 hours at best.

@Fin, I never said that “I never played it for 500 hours”. You are just stubborn and i’m tired answering the same stupid question.
    but if you are stupid I will repeat the same answer again and again: Hours =/= fun. I enjoyed playing flower for few hours much more then playing that shit.

and I will repeat again that when I played Black Ops that was in the last summer days where there were no games at all. Game is shit.

Also, I played CoD games much less then you who is hiding how much he spent on BO2 and CoD games in general etc.

Shut up please. I won’t answer your stupid question again.

#34 1 year ago
  35. ps4some

CoD will only have to worry if BF suddenly goes 60fps.

They never will.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Samoan Spider

@35 Just to put the other side of the coin out there btw, BF will likely have its 60fps on the next gen whereas CoD will have to drastically alter or replace their engine to push some graphical panache like the JJ Abrams Lens flare style of BF.

#36 1 year ago
  37. stretch215

Erth-ass-us: stop fucking lying. Everyone that’s been here long enough knows you spent 500HOURS in one summer playing blops. Now you act as if it never happened you psychotic weirdo. On topic: bfbc2 was 3x the game bf3 is. Edit: “500 hours for me is not that much” LOL. Right there you confirmed your virginity. For normal people 500 hours is a lot of time spent playing a game you supposedly hate.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Fin

“I never said that “I never played it for 500 hours”.”

Jesus, how stupid are you? Look at post 15, when in reference to be asking how much you played Black Ops MP, you said “Zero”.
    Now, forgive me if I’m wrong, but that sounds like you were saying you didn’t play it for 500 hours.
    But whatever, show us your steam account and all will be forgiven!

As an overall point, if you spend 500 hours on a game you don’t enjoy, you might have some kinda problem.

I’m not hiding anything about how much I played Black Ops 2 – Elite reports I’ve 11.25 hours of MP played, Raptr says 43 hours total (so around 31 hours of SP).
    (Elite also says 9 hours of MW3 and 38 hours of Black Ops 1)

#38 1 year ago
  39. DSB

Arguably the most impressive thing about Activision is their ability to grab a new mega franchise every time their last one dies out.

I wouldn’t put it past them to do it again, someone at that company is either very brilliant, or very lucky.

#39 1 year ago
  40. stevenhiggster

Sorry Dave, I really don’t enjoy taking Erth’s side in any argument but it just seems to me like you’re defending COD a little too hard here.
    On one hand you tell him everyone’s entitled to like what they like, but yet you are complaining about him not liking what you like.
    People are indeed entitled to like whatever they want to like, but they are equally entitled to hate whatever they want to hate.
    Plus he never actually said the game was shit, just that its been the same game with new maps since COD4.
    I do absolutely agree with you on the BC2 > BF3 thing though, it most definitely is.

#40 1 year ago
  41. G1GAHURTZ

^ Erthazus never said that he didn’t “like” CoD.

He said “Call Of Duty is a stupid and dumbed down “running and gunning” FPS game that barely evolved over the years with it’s 99s Id Tech 3 engine. Nothing changed since Quake 3:Arena.”

Which is factually incorrect.

#41 1 year ago
  42. stevenhiggster

^^ Again though, that’s his opinion. My point remains, he is entitled to hate it as much as you are to like it.
    Plus it actually does run on ’99′s quake 3 engine id tech 3, so that’s not factually incorrect at all.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Fin

My issue with him is his constant disparaging, condescending tone. “I don’t like CoD and anyone who does is a moron. But I still played it for 500 hours”

There’s some games I don’t like, but fucking hell I don’t pollute every single comment thread, abusing everyone who likes the game.

It’s fine to dislike a game, you don’t have to be a massive asshole while you’re doing it.

And saying Call of Duty runs in idTech 3 is like saying RAGE runs on idTech 3.
    They both started out from the same place, but they’re in totally different places now.

#43 1 year ago
  44. G1GAHURTZ

“Nothing changed since Quake 3:Arena.”

This is factually incorrect to a seriously high level of stupidity.

Anyone can argue that they don’t like a game. There’s absolutely zero wrong with that. But bringing stupid little claims like the one above doesn’t enter into opinion at all.

There is simply no defence for idiocy like that.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Erthazus

@41, Retard. I liked Call Of Duty 1. For your information, but since then, there Was CoD 2 which was okay and with each series they never evolved the game except that they used:

1) Modern setting
    2) Killstreaks

in Modern Warfare 1.

That’s it. What happened in Black Ops 1 for example compared to other CoD games? Nothing except that they changed it to Cold War. What happened with BO2? …

Okay.

@44, “This is factually incorrect to a seriously high level of stupidity.”

ARGUMENTS. Come on. So what is different from the Quake 3:Arena gameplay? Let’s take the most basic thing: “Shooting”.

By the way, CoD games does not have decent recoil system or spread because old id Tech 3 engine had almost no physics when you shot someone from a gun.

Now compare CoD to Battlefield 3 shooting mechanics or ArmA and you will see a difference.
    Or maybe, check out Battlefield 2-3 changes in the gameplay.

@Fin, “And saying Call of Duty runs in idTech 3 is like saying RAGE runs on idTech 3″

CoD engine is BASED on iD tech 3. MORON
    When I say “Call of Duty runs in idTech 3″ it’s sarcasm only. The fact is that CoD engine games so far were based on iD tech 3 which is a well known fact.

#45 1 year ago
  46. YoungZer0

Why would you need ‘ARGUMENTS’ when the FACTS speak out against you?

#46 1 year ago
  47. G1GAHURTZ

@45:

Silence, you!

#47 1 year ago
  48. bitsnark

Fucking hell. This thread.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Erthazus

@46, “Why would you need ‘ARGUMENTS’ when the FACTS speak out against you?”

What facts? Give me example. I ask a simple one like recoil and spread system in CoD games.

@G1GAHURTZ,
    “^ Silence, you!
    Logic is clearly wasted on you, which is why I don’t bother responding to your stupid questions.”

Because you don’t have any logic, argument. Nothing.
    you are just a Call Of Duty fanboy that lost his mind. End of story.

Fuck off.

#49 1 year ago
  50. shogoz

who gives a fuck nerds get a job unless ur here cuz u suck as bad as u all do at cod and bf3. stop crying while you masturbate or i’ll take a dump on all your chests

#50 1 year ago
  51. Fin

Thank you for proving my point bro!

#51 1 year ago
  52. shogoz

thats ok Fin anytime mother fuckers excuse me i’m off are u all ready for the dump on your chests when i wake up? i fucking hope so

#52 1 year ago
  53. G1GAHURTZ

I like Latvia. It’s a nice country.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Erthazus

Ahh, well. I know one change that was happened in Modern Warfare 1 compared to Quake 3:Arena (like in 99.9% current gen shooters):

“Bullet penetration”

Well, thank god, that they figured out about that.

Btw, fun fact (!) BO II is the first game in the series that used old Havok physics. I just want to know, for what…

#54 1 year ago
  55. Samoan Spider

I know this is a mad thought, but it seems to be fucking uncommon with some of you people. I liked playing CoD. I liked playing BF. I enjoyed every single game. Every one. There’s been a lot I know, but its been a pleasure for me all the way. And SOME of the people I met along the way have been excellent company. What went wrong with either game in my opinion is the people that play them, and its getting worse. So much rage. So much hate. So in the words of Mordecai “So loud, so angry, so dead!”

#55 1 year ago
  56. Fin

Check the post numbers bro ;)

#56 1 year ago
  57. TheBlackHole

Some people need to get the fuck out more.

#57 1 year ago
  58. roadkill

Erthazus you really need to stop this. CoD and WoW people (for example) are unable to understand what you mean, they are unable to choose quality, and even if they do understand you they’ll simply deny it. There’s no point in fighting them. I mean “What’s wrong with Justin Bieber!?” Really? OK.. Anyway, these games are awesome because they keep this kind of people trapped there. Think about it, would you ever want to play BF with a CoD person!? That would be fail because they simply lack the ability to make complex thoughts.

#58 1 year ago
  59. splashofartstudios

Im totally tired of both Battlefield & Call of Duty…

#59 1 year ago
  60. OlderGamer

“Im totally tired of both Battlefield & Call of Duty…”

And if I am being honest, I am tired of the entire Online Shooter craze.

#60 1 year ago
  61. splashofartstudios

@60- Man me too… I want more games like Jak and Daxter…and Ratchet and Clank…shit Bring back Crash Bandicoot!

#61 1 year ago
  62. monkees19

I don’t take any stock in what Pachter has to say. Last I checked he’s like 0-1,750 or so? Seems to me he’s always wrong. This little guess will likely make him 0-1,751, regardless of how you feel about the games themselves.

#62 1 year ago