PS4 connects with mobile devices, requires subscription – rumour

Tuesday, 19th February 2013 22:54 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PlayStation 4 will be controllable via mobile devices, ship with a PlayStation Eye camera, and adopt a more Xbox Live-style approach to online service subscriptions, today’s rumours suggest.

Citing a repeat anonymous source, Kotaku reports the new console will launch in the US in November in two models priced at $429 and $529. The source said every console will come with a PlayStation Eye camera.

The console will be controllable via smartphones and tablets, as with Xbox 360′s SmartGlass app, but the source said you’ll be able to chat with PSN friends, shop on the PlayStation Store, and start downloads while you’re away from home. The rumour correlates with similar rumblings from yesterday.

A new spectator feature will allow you to watch other player’s gaming even if you don’t own the game, the source claimed.

Unfortunately, the whisperer believes that “most” online features will be locked behind a subscription service called PlayStation World, as with Xbox Live.

Kotaku also posted two new images of what is believed to be a prototype PS4 controller, showing the central touchpad, speaker, and LED light shown in other allegedly leaked photos.

The PlayStation 4 is expected to debut at the PlayStation Meeting in New York tomorrow. If you can’t wait that long, Dave’s rounded up every PS4 rumour so far.

1. Madlink

Okay I admit it…I’m hyped. Roll on tomorrow!

2. DrDamn

Better look at the triggers there. The point about the subs service was mentioned as a replacement for PS+. Will it also be needed for online play? I doubt it, but the game viewing and more social features will be included in it I reckon. Streaming a video of your game to a friend sounds kind of cool, not sure how much I’d use it personally mind.

3. Beta

So would this be a separate subscription from PS+. Is it replacing PS+ or would you be expected to pay for 2 subscriptions?

Count me confused. Not too sure about this rumour.

*Have now read the full article. So it’s a rebranding of sorts for ps plus. That’s fine since I already subscribe to it anyway :)

4. Francis O

It makes sense why Sony never used PSN is free over Xbox Live marketing tactic. There setting up there own version of xbox live gold and silver. I wonder if you have to pay for online play?

5. DrDamn

Replacing PS+.

From the Kotaku article …
    “our source says “most” of the PS4′s online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony’s new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus.”

Headline is a bit misleading, they didn’t say it required it.

6. TheBlackHole

@5 Sorry Doc, but PlayStation World is required for online play.

7. Erthazus

If PS World feature will be paying for online play then good bye Sony.
    I have no reason to buy a system where you need to pay for the multiplayer.

My PC does that for free with better social options where you can even create your clan and so on (Steam)

8. DrDamn

OK that’s not going to go down well, but if it also the includes the sort of value PS+ gives I would be in anyway.

9. Sylrissa

If it’s just the replacement for PS+, then that’s fine, but if they try to go down the xbox live gold route, I can’t see this going down well.

10. Beta

Outside of journey I never play multiplayer so I’m not too bothered by this. :)

11. TheBlackHole

You say that, but Xbox Live goes down very well with Xbox owners, because the service you get is generally brilliant.

I happily pay the £30 a year it costs to service not only online play, but all the premium extras you get with it. I’d do the same with PlayStation if it worked as well.

12. TheBlackHole

@7 You are going to be SO pissed when the Steam Box comes out :)

13. Erthazus

@12, Steam will be free there for sure. So i won’t be pissed.

14. TheBlackHole

@13 Okay :)

15. manamana

Really, I cannot wait to see what Microsoft has in store after Sony dropped their bombs.

16. salarta

I’m not sure of my thoughts on if Sony put online play behind a subscription fee. On the one hand, I was glad that Sony wasn’t being toolish like Microsoft, but on the other hand, I wouldn’t be too shocked to see the company try to maximize profits in this manner in order to stay in the industry as long as possible. It’s not like there’s a real alternative in the console arena where you can play games for free, given how awkward Nintendo always is about it and how Microsoft has been pulling the subscription fee approach since day one and generating tons of profit from it.

Though if this subscription fee approach prevents playing any games that have offline modes/elements, or prevents playing used games, then that ensures I won’t touch the console.

17. Erthazus

I still believe that Sony won’t charge people to play Online.

I think major features like Cross chat and other stupid social stuff will be premium.

18. theevilaires

If the subscription thing is anymore than PS+ then count me out. Sorry I’m not paying for online play I just refuse it. Games will more than likely be $65-$70 this time around. No reason why that extra can’t be put toward server cost even if they take a minor lost.

XBOX LIVE feels so much like a ripoff next to PS+ it would break my gaming spirit if SONY went down the same road after proving PS+ is a way better alternative to earn money with a online sub that keeps both sides happy.

Sorry SONY I won’t pay for it and refuse proudly. I guess the Wii U will have a chance after all.

19. Hunam

This… isn’t what I wanted to read.

20. Moonwalker1982

That makes two of us man. I expect to see great games tomorrow and i hope MS will do the same. Sure they will push the Kinect shitty games again, but please let it stay the fuck away from core games. And please MS bring some new IPs to the table. New IPs along with the Halo’s, Forza’s and so on would make me happy and a buyer.

21. daytripper

If PSN improves to my liking I will pay probably

22. Joe_Gamer

Fuck paying for online bullshit.

23. Dark

“most” online features will be locked behind a subscription service”

“replacing PlayStation Plus”

So why people think this mean pay to play online?

@17 I agree.

24. Sylrissa

I really hope they keep the basic playing online free, because while I am very happy with paying my PS+ subscription, it’s partly because it’s not forced, but rather it is a choice that you can play online, however here are all these extra benefits if you choose to play the sub.

I like when you are given the choice.

@17 I agree, I think this will just be more optional extras for people that choose to pay for, rather then forcing people to pay to play online.

25. MadFingerz

Yeah, I can’t imagine Sony moving to a “pay to play online” service considering how since the PS3 was released they have always been proudly saying that with PS you can play online for free. It must be something else, the alternative is having egg on their faces..

26. aprotosis

Sounds like Sony is just announcing that they are going to be building an Xbox 360 now.

27. Dragon246

Ok, maybe people should calm down and read the “most” part.

I don’t see anything wrong charging for additional services, unless online play is free, which it would be, unless Sony has lost its mind.

28. Clupula

As long as playing online is free, I’m fine with the other things requiring a subscription. But if they make it so you have to pay to play online, then they’ve lost a sale.

29. Samoan Spider

I did say that today people would be hating on Sony just the same as idiots spent yesterday hating on ms. I would like to see where ps3fanboy has gone because whilst this is rumour I do so like to see him rub his snotty little face in things like this. If the service has the stability of Xbox live I don’t mind paying. Just not over the odds please, ok Sony?

30. mojo

i dont think online play will require a sub.
    the basic features, like now, will still be there.
    Additional ones like cloud saving, possible cross chat, possible streaming and so on will be in the world sub
    and i dont think it will cost more than plus. plus will propably just renamend to worl and features will be added.

31. monkees19

I swear Sony gives me a reason to not like them every day. This is why my PS3 rankes last out of that gen’s systems.

32. TD_Monstrous69

Oh 6 PM, you can’t get here quicker? This sounds like a huge step up in online service, but also similar to XBL. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see to see if even half the rumors are true.

33. BlueTemplar

@31 That makes literally no sense whatsoever.

Your ps3 ranks last out of all 3 systems because there’s a vague rumour that maybe you *might* potentially one day have to pay for online play?

How is that worse than the 360, where you’ve always had to pay for this?

34. Clupula

@33 – Honestly, posts like #31 make me wonder if the person even has one.

35. Bomba Luigi

So many Terrible (in my Opinion Terrible) Rumors. But it really looks like the Console Market is going more and more in Direction where I don’t want a Console any more.

But I’m Optimistic for now that it not will be so bad like all the Rumors want to tell me.

36. Francis O

We’ll see, I think its in Sony’s best interest to keep playing games online free. The other stuff is cool if it comes with PS Plus. Either way MS better counter cause Sony looks to be playing this one right.

37. TheBlackHole

I have to say, I never thought I would be excited about a Sony reveal – I thought the PS3 and all handhelds since have had disastrous launches, but I’m genuinely excited about tonight.

Still, I’m going to reserve judgement until MS get to show off their new wares. I’m all about the games this gen, not the media hub crap. I sided with 360 this gen (couldn’t really afford 2 consoles) because of the better multiplat and some strong exclusives like Gears and Mass Effect. I also preferred the controller.

Back compatibility will be a big selling point for me I think.

38. theevilaires

I just want online play to stay free for everyone. I’ll gladly pay for PS+ so SONY can make money on the network but just let everyone play their games online for free still.