Nvidia announces its GeForce GTX Titan Kepler card

Tuesday, 19th February 2013 16:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nvidia has revealed its GeForce GTX Titan graphics card featuring Kepler architecture. The firm claims the card features “advanced thermal and acoustic characteristics,” which will support the “new wave of small form-factor gaming PCs.” The reveal comes after AMD said its “Sea Islands” card was still not ready for prime time. However, don’t expect the new card to be cheap: Titan will run you $999/£827 with its 2,668 GPU cores, output of “4.5 Teraflops of single precision and 1.3 Teraflops of double precision processing power. Expect it on UK shelves starting February 25. Tom’s Hardware has a nice breakdown of the card through here. Thanks, GI International.

1. blackdreamhunk

yup this is what I have been waiting for the next graphic cards for pc. Now it is truly time to up grade.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Samoan Spider

@1 Hahaha, I hope my sarcasm detector was operating ok there.

This is insane. Nothing to see here for anything but the most hardened pc gamer (read wallet-chucker). This will only service Bitcoin miners or those driving a wall of monitors.

#2 1 year ago
  3. RazorBladeJam

Should keep the techwhores happy… Till the next one in 6-12 months.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Samoan Spider

@3 That long? I was thinking more like the week after next when they release the OC version immediately followed by the Ti version!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

It’s insane videocard. It’s alone more powerfull then 3 or 4 next gen consoles alone by Teraflops.
    Amazing card, but only for benchmarks. although current gen stuff can run in 100 frames per second alone on max.

#5 1 year ago
  6. RandomTiger

I’m considering buying a laptop, partly for gaming that costs less than that card, lol.

#6 1 year ago
  7. viralshag

£830 for a card… it might eventually have a game or two fully optimised for it by the time it’s the oldest and cheapest version of its kind.

Money well spent I say!

#7 1 year ago
  8. gomersoul

Only an idiot would buy this, it’s exactly why PC gaming sucks ass and balls. You never get your moneys worth

#8 1 year ago
  9. Erthazus

^ This card alone will make next gen games running in 60 frames per second on one screen. (all of them) by the end of the next generation on Max characteristics unless Microsoft will announce Direct X12.

+ there are 2,688 shaders and 6 GB of GDDR5 which I don’t know will last for a long time.

and the most obvious one: [Caps lock] No one asks you to buy that card moron. You are going to stick with the outdated hardware for 10 years with the games that barely have thirty frames per second with low quality image, while other people have a CHOICE to make games that are running better and look much better. [Caps lock]

#9 1 year ago
  10. Samoan Spider

@8 Why does it suck balls. I play a game on any device, and I enjoy it. Does it matter what it is? Tell me as a gamer and answer honestly and without involving brand loyalty though please.

#10 1 year ago
  11. silkvg247

I’m interested in the “small form factor” thing but I don’t want a card this powerful. Are they not releasing small form factor lower spec ones?

#11 1 year ago
  12. CPC_RedDawn

This card was originally a Tesla chip but they changed it to a Geforce retail chip.

This chip is insane, and reports are that they designed it with overclocking in mind and review samples have it upwards of 1.1GHz on the core with minimal increase in voltages.

Couple this with the fact that it has a wider bus of 384bit rather than 256bit of the previous GTX680 and 6GB GDDR5 memory.

This thing is a complete and utter beast! It will last you a decent 5 years easily. If specs of next gen consoles are to be believed then 2GB VRAM is simply laughable. When your still gaming at 2K 1080p @ 30fps we shall be gaming at true 4K resoltuions with this beast.

Yea sure its pricey but if your a die hard gaming fan then you will do what you can to get hold of something like this. Either that or get a better job.

#12 1 year ago
  13. CyberMarco

Nice overkill… Can’t see the reason why spend so much money on a GPU alone, just to have some FPS numbers nerdgasm! -.-

@5 Time to become a grammar Nazi.

*Use THAN as a word indicating comparison*

*Use THEN as a word indicating time*

Please people of the Internet, and especially you that English is your mother language, learn how to use these words, it’s not that hard.

/ends rant.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Wizard

be aware, this card is not really for gaming, but gpu computing for small business and so.

#14 1 year ago
  15. CyberMarco

^ I know that this product is targeted to a small, not so mainstream demographic. I was referring to those that goes nuts every time a kidney-equivalent-priced product comes out.

#15 1 year ago
  16. stretch215

There are SO many more healthy, constructive things you could do with $1000. Take a light vacation, maybe a long weekend. Enjoy some fresh air. Experience real life.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Cobra951

The PC I was thinking of getting for gaming goes for about that much–the whole thing, including the graphics card. I ended up passing on it because I have better uses for that much money.

#17 1 year ago
  18. gomersoul

ok, so maybe the ass and balls comment was over the top but come on… who in their right mind would buy something like this for £800 plus? why not get a console which 90% of developers focus their main priority on for half the price? If all I have to spend is £400 on a console every 7-8 years then that is fantastic compared to PC gaming that is for people who constantly have to upgrade to play a handful of games that actually use that hardware. PC gaming is a thousand times more complicated. And you have to shell out a larger price. Why not get a console that has excellent exclusives, interfaces and pioneering technology. PC is 2nd in the minds of developers, publishers and consumers. So it should be until a company vastly improves it’s accessibility

#18 1 year ago
  19. CyberMarco

^ “Consoles have outdated hardware for 10 years with games that barely have thirty frames per second with low quality image, while other people have a CHOICE to make games that are running better and look much better.”

and “PC master race, consolz sukz. All hail super graphics, DX 19+ extra super 3D tesselation over 9000, and stuff like that”

#19 1 year ago
  20. Hcw87

Buy it when there are games that actually take advantage of a card like this. You’ll save a few hundred euro.

So in about a year or two.

#20 1 year ago
  21. CyberMarco

^ I would say even more…

#21 1 year ago
  22. Samoan Spider

I know the cost of PC ownership comes up frequently, but I replace my PC hardware every 5 years or so. Not really different to my consoles which I bought not long before my last PC upgrade. This last time I upgraded (6 weeks ago), I did everything and it cost me £350. But I dont pay Sony or Microsoft fee’s on games I buy for it so I would say that breaks even. My consoles aren’t used much these days because I can’t afford to spend £40 on something that will cost £25 on the pc. So enough with this ‘master race lulz’ crap, and enough with the ‘pc gaming costs £900 to upgrade every 6 months’ shite. Its simply not true. This chip isn’t going to be bought by 99.999999999999999999% of pc gamers, and the steam hardware poll will reflect that I’m sure.

#22 1 year ago
  23. OlderGamer

Wow lol out of my price range.

Oh and +1 to Samoan Spider. My last PC was 6 year old. I upgraded. and after a year just upgraded with a 35usd GT610(limited ed – 2GB). I am a PC gamer on a budget. But with 16gb ram, decent bus/etc, and a new card I am happy with what I have. And I have spent less on it then I have on my xb360(when you add in the costs of games). You can game on PC with a budget, and you save a ton when it comes to each game. Steam Sales ftw. And that offsets the price of the hardware.

#23 1 year ago
  24. brotherhoodofthewolf

better off getting a 690

#24 1 year ago
  25. Mineral4r7s

Damn what kind of processor and motherboard do you need to tame such a beast?

#25 1 year ago
  26. Night Hunter

My flatmate is considering buying 3 of those things. But he works in special effects and has a ton of money.

For me, just the thought of investing so much money in something which just gets me some graphical updates (= most unimportant part of a game) makes me cringe …

#26 1 year ago