Gears of War: Judgment leak sparks action by Microsoft, bans threatened

Tuesday, 19th February 2013 12:11 GMT By Dave Cook

Gears of War: Judgment has leaked ahead of the game’s March 22nd release. We covered the leak here, but now Microsoft has pledged “vigorous action” towards plugging the leak.

In a statement to Eurogamer, a Microsoft rep said, “We are aware of isolated cases in which Gears of War: Judgment content has been propped on the web and are working closely with our security teams and law enforcement to address the situation immediately.

“Consumers should be aware that piracy is illegal and we take vigorous action against illegal activity related to our products and services. Playing pirated copies of games, such as Gears of War: Judgment, is a violation of the Xbox Live Terms of Use and will result in enforcement action, such as account and console bans.”

What’s your take on the above?

1. Bam007

My take? It’s quite funny actually. (NOTE – AUD, not USD)

Me – buy broken Xbox 360 from eBay for less than $100
    - fix it with $20 worth of material
    - flash it for $0
    - download and play hundreds and hundreds dollars worth of video games, absolutely free

Microsoft – we will ban your console

Okay, and? For less than $150 I will be back online, pirating and playing those pirated games online. Not to mention all of the spare consoles that many modders have.

#1 1 year ago
  2. RandomTiger

If they had a download copy ready to go they could message them that they need to purchase a copy of the game then and there (that would unlock on launch day) or their account / console is banned.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Bam007

@2 – trust me buddy, ‘we’ would not care. I did the dirty for over a year and while I never got caught, I gave up on it simply because of how much I started to depreciate video games, which is my favourite hobby.

The warning is in the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use. That never stopped me nor did it ever or will it ever stop any random who has/wants to mod a games console.

It’s easier to get a console ban. As I pointed out, it is cheaper to buy a broken console, fix it and do the work to have it playing backed up Xbox 360 games.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ps3fanboy

i say it is violation of customers trusts to sell broken ms product for 5 years (rrod & scratching game disc). it is also illegal to not admitting selling broken product to your customers. then taking 100 dollars for a used replacement that also will break.

but we don’t hear about that do we ms?… as long it is you ms that set the rules it is okay isn’t it?…

#4 1 year ago
  5. LuLshuck

backupkings 4lyf

#5 1 year ago
  6. Samoan Spider

@4 You should’ve picked the Wii in the failure rate stakes. It had the lowest of this generation. Whilst the Xbox was initially double that of the Ps3, the Ps3 still managed roughly a 10% failure for the 1st few years. And both are about the same and extremely low now. I have had to send back 2 xbox’s for rrod and 2 ps3s (one for a yellow light of death and one for a fubar’d bluray drive). And scratching discs was if you were stupid enough to move your console whilst the disc was spinning and a polisher at your local Game would sort that out a treat.
    On topic, it sounds fair to me. No one should be playing the game, so anyone who does gets the banhammer.

#6 1 year ago
  7. RandomTiger

@3 You are probably right, I think it would be a fair choice to at least offer the possibility of going legal.

Can I ask you, looking back, if piracy was just not possible how many games do you think you would have bought compared with those you pirated (if any)? While you were pirating did you ever buy any games anyway because you wanted to support that product or any other (non security) reason?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Bam007

@7 Give and take, I’d say 3 to 1. 3 being pirated, while the 1 would obviously be purchased. Mind you, these games were usually offline-only anyway, so there was little to no reason whatsoever for me to buy the game.

Since I got over it, I have purchased games that were solely offline/single player. Worst case, I will ‘rent’ the game from EB Games/GameStop (7/14 day return policy abuser :p).

My latest purchase is actually Dead Island: Game of the Year edition and I pirated that when it first released. Believe me when I say that there is much more pleasure in playing a game online and knowing you actually paid for it when compared to staying offline and playing a game you had little to no interest in.

#8 1 year ago
  9. theevilaires

who was that guy on here who was famous for pirating games? 360 ones to be specific. He made a thread about Assassins Creeds 2 graphics was shit and admitted he pirates a lot of 360 games. Where did that loser go?

#9 1 year ago
  10. nhowell14

Again, not sure why there are any MS loyalists, as they constantly piss on their customers.

It’s probably best that I don’t further reiterate on how Microsoft has ruined themselves….considering its blatantly obvious to everyone in the world at this point.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Samoan Spider

@10 I’m sorry but I don’t see how. This is the way I see it for almost any console ever. You buy the game, you go home, you turn on the device, you put the disc in, the game loads, you press start, and play. Now I don’t see how MS are pissing on anyone with this. They have an enormous user base of current gen hardware users who will merrily buy the 720 (or whatever its called) and play games exactly as described above. But don’t worry, if it counts, there’ll be people tomorrow telling us how Sony are pissing on their customers too.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Cobra951

@10: There are plenty of annoying fanboys to be sure (for each and every platform, not just MS). In my case, it was a combination of factors that led to me passing on the PS3, and concentrating on the X360. Normally, I end up getting all the relevant consoles per generation. Most significantly, the PS3 was *relentlessly* overpriced, and there were very few exclusive games on it that I really wanted. The Wii went nowhere after the initial batch of first-party games, and ended up used more as a Gamecube. Yes, I had to deal with the RRoD fiasco, like most owners of the early mis-designed systems. But by that point, I was too invested in the platform to walk away and start over. I got one replacement on Microsoft’s dime, and when that fried the same way, I bit the bullet and bought a $200 Jasper-chipset arcade unit, and moved my HDD over to it. That’s been doing fine for years, and using 100 watts *less* than the original design (according to my UPS readout). Much less heat, much more reliable. So I ended up paying about as much for Xbox hardware as the cost of one PS3 at launch. Haha!

Am I happy about the defective-hardware costs and headaches? Hell no. Who would be? I just went with what made the most sense at the time, and dealt with the fallout as best as I could. I am certainly no MS loyalist. Next gen is up for grabs. Whoever *doesn’t* force me to be online to play my games will most likely get my money.

#12 1 year ago