Final Fantasy Versus 13 suggested by enigmatic Square Enix exec tweet

Tuesday, 19th February 2013 00:00 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Bear with me on this ridiculously slim business. Hidemi Matsuzuka, general manager of Square Enix merchandise manufacturer Play Arts Kai, posted a picture of a perfume called Noctis, with the simple comment “Prince”. Prince Noctis is the name of the main character in Final Fantasy Versus 13. Those are the facts. Here’s the rampant speculation: Square Enix is preparing a line of merchandise or promotional materials for Final Fantasy Versus 13, which is going to break cover after years of vapourous silence, possibly at the February 20 PlayStation Meeting, where a jump to PlayStation 4 would explain a great many things. That’s your lot; make of it what you will.

Thanks, Gematsu.

1. ActionGameKing

Saw this early today, shat myself, now waits anxiously for a reveal of my most anticipated game of the last 7 years. Prepared for heart break.

#1 1 year ago
  2. JimFear-666

Lol there is no logic behind the fact that a picture of something with the name of the ffvs13 protagonist could lead at the announcement of the game on ps4.

Stop getting my hope up for nothing! :P

#2 1 year ago
  3. Sylrissa

I never really liked the look of this FF personally, but it is a shame when something gets dragged along for so many years.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Sini

lol @ ppl who bought ps3 for versus no doubt

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

I think FFXIII-Versus as an exclusive title for the PS4 (with revamped graphics at some point) is fucking ape shit idea that could work for Sony next gen.

But we all know that Microsoft has some dirty tricks too and I’m sure they are going to have something like that at their E3. Remember Final Fantasy XIII Xbox 360 announcement? Oh yeah.

#5 1 year ago
  6. salarta

I think it’s pretty clear that at this point, Versus 13 is likely to be their first major Final Fantasy foray for PS4, and something they will try to use to break out of the generally negative perception that the company has acquired over these past few years.

Of course, I still won’t be buying it regardless of quality until a proper Aya Brea game is made. Though I won’t fault them if they make a sequel to 3rd Birthday at this point, as that sort of game is clearly what people of both genders want.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Sylrissa

A good new game with Aya Brea would be amazing, I still play the old parasite eve games from time to time.

#7 1 year ago
  8. LuLshuck

@5 Nah i doubt MS will have that exclusive again, at the time MS were trying to become big in japan but totally failed

#8 1 year ago
  9. Mike W

Well I doubt if this game is still an exclusive. But SE makes me sick, I’m in my freaking 30s now still waiting for this game. Yes that’s right, I was 24 when they announced this fucking game!!

#9 1 year ago
  10. salarta

I wouldn’t be shocked if Squeenix later tried to use the length of time this game took to get released as an excuse for why things like a world map and HD towns supposedly couldn’t be done, even though that would be obvious BS since the team kept getting hijacked to work on other projects. Making up bad excuses is something Squeenix has been doing for years now.

I also think that the people currently around at Squeenix have convinced themselves that the only thing about the Squaresoft side that ever mattered was the high quality of their graphics. That seems to be the only thing they try to maintain their integrity about.

Then again, I’m once again saying that as part of the prior generation, so Squeenix may just be doing all the things that the current generation both wants and expects out of video game companies.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Moonwalker1982

I find it hard to get even remotely excited about it. It looked great a few years ago, but i doubt it still looks that great. We also know very little about it and i’m not gonna get crazy hyped about something that never seems to come out.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Gnosis

@11: Yeah, it’s frigin Duke Nukem of JRPGs. I couldn’t care less for this. If they want to advertise this properly, then they should show some gameplay material, not goddamn perfumes.

#12 1 year ago
  13. SplatteredHouse

The movies for this looked really good. The man in the luxury car, the future cityscape, they made an impression that there might be something of interest here. It had a sombre backdrop, gothic architecture. But, so long since then it’s been that they’re basically going to have to start over. Reintroduce the concept, more of the characters, world, and so on…There’s a huge manticore-looking monster at a crossroads that they showed as v early gameplay example, before as well!

#13 1 year ago
  14. Moonwalker1982

I just wonder if they have brought this to PS4…how far along can it be? Will it look like an upscaled PS3 title or will they start over? I highly doubt that. I just hope if they DO show it tomorrow, that we won’t be waiting more and more years for it. The combat system especially looked damn cool, i hate turn based and this wasn’t.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Takeshi

I’ve been looking into this game every week since I got my PS3 in the summer of 2011. I honestly just want them to release it already, and I won’t even care that much if it’s not that good of a game. I didn’t buy my PS3 for this game.

Making this a launch title for PS4 would definitely sell a lot of new consoles, but there’s the goodwill of PS3 owners to take into account.

#15 1 year ago