Final Fantasy X HD gets lovely first-look screens

Monday, 18th February 2013 11:01 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy X HD was featured as part of Sony’s PS Vita web-stream this morning, showing off Square’s touched-up visuals. AGB has published some stills online for those of you who missed the broadcast.

They’re a little fuzzy, but you get the general idea. Unfortunately Sony didn’t date the game, but it did announce a PS Vita price-cut for Japan. Get all the details here.

Thanks AGB.

1. Zarckan

wow look at the pixels on that!

Completely blown away by the white on white look too Dave…

2. chaoszage

epic fail…
    nothing impressive..

3. KrazyKraut

looks like on PS2

4. CyberMarco

From Kotaku.

“Note that they were taken from a standard definition stream and are not in HD.”

5. DLTDawnlight

Why not just run FFX on FFXIII’s engine?

6. RyuRanX

It looks way better running on PCSX2 at 1080p. HD re-release fail!

7. salarta

Oh boy, marginal graphical improvements!

The given screenshots may have come from a standard definition stream, but even if the stream was in high definition, it’s a bit of a moot point. The PS2 was only one generation ago, and we’ve reached a point where the jump in graphical quality from one generation to the next isn’t quite so shocking as it was in the past. My guess is this supposed HD re-release is one part trying to dupe money out of fanboys, and one part trying to gauge whether or not to re-release FFX-2 and make more post-FFX-2 spinoffs and sequels.

8. Mystic Sage

Yes! I have been waiting for an update on this thought they scrapped making an HD remake. Can’t wait.

Those screen shots don’t look HD to me though = /

9. CycloneFox

They don’t look HD because they’re just from an SD-stream.

10. Clupula

These screens don’t impress me, but I don’t care. This is still my second favorite of the Final Fantasy titles (with IX before it and XIII after it). I will still buy the PS3 version day one.

11. CyberMarco

Video from the presentation.

12. deathm00n

My chance to play it, it’s the only mains series FF I’ve never played.

13. nhowell14

Even though this is most obviously SquareEnix attempting to resell the last game of theirs that truly sold, in which case I’m refusing to purchase, but at the same time a true, HD remake of this game for a portable system is like a dream come true….

14. pwnedbyn00b

seriously…this is what took them more than a year to make. they shouldn’t even have bothered. this looks no better than the PS2 version. they should have just concentrated on versus XIII instead of wasting time on this. if it looked like FFXIII then it would have been a success.