The Last Guardian has been a PS4 release for “a long time now” – rumor

Friday, 15th February 2013 16:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Last Guardian has been moved to a PS4 release, according to former Sony employee Kenny Linder.

According to his post on NeoGAF, the former Bigbig developer said it has been on the docket for PS4 “for a long time now,” but he’s unsure whether it will be a launch title or not.

“It’s been PS4 for a long time now,” he said. “I don’t know, but I know it’s been in development on Orbis for a long time now. Its platform has been questionable for nearly two years, but the last time it was restarted (it’s been restarted a number of times), it was moved to Orbis.”

Earlier this week, Fumito Ueda posted a status update on his website in an effort to assure fans that development on the title was continuing.

He also said its release would be “solely decided by Sony, not myself,” and to “keep an eye out” for an official announcement.

Sony’s rumored to be announcing PS4 next week, and many are hoping news on The Last Guardian will be included during the event.

Thanks, Gematsu.

1. Clupula

I’m certainly not. Moving it to PS4 would be a betrayal, as far as I’m concerned. If I ever do pick up the PS4, I guess I’d eventually pick it up, but that wouldn’t be for several years. Keeping it on PS3, it’s a day one purchase.

#1 1 year ago
  2. manamana

Yes, thats what I thought. Hopefully it gets a show on 20th.

#2 1 year ago
  3. RandomTiger

A dual release would be fine but PS4 only would be annoying. I’ve had good use out of my PS3 but this was the game that pushed me to actually fork out for it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Clupula

A dual release would be acceptable. But PS4 exclusive, way to push my purchase back by 700 something days.

#4 1 year ago
  5. deathm00n

Imagine if after all we saw from the old gameplay trailers has nothing to do with the game when it launches like Aliens Colonial Marines. THE HORROR!!

#5 1 year ago
  6. RandomTiger

I’m going to hedge my bets and assume it will actually launch on the PS5.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Clupula

@5 – Actually, what’d be hilarious was if when The Last Guardian releases, it’s actually the Aliens: Colonial Marines demo.

#7 1 year ago
  8. locus2k1

Don’t know if true or not… If the reason it’s being development for so long was the developers vision was restricted by the hardware in PS3 and is indeed on its way to PS4 then I’m just happy it will no longer be potential vapour-ware

On a side note this news piece reminded me of a GT video in regards of the Do and Don’ts Sony (and for that matter MS and Ninty too) should take note of:

Thought it was hilarious, especially *that* bit in regards of The Last Guardian :D

#8 1 year ago
  9. daytripper

Thought ICO was a touching, classy game. I couldn’t get into Shadow of the Colossus, loved the look and atmosphere but half the time I had no clue what I was doing lol. Hope Last Guardian is good.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Mike W

I wonder was Agent moved to the PS4?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Phoenixblight

That would be vaporware. No one has said anything about that for a couple of years. Every time R* or Sony is asked about it they just point the finger at each other.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Bashtee

A few fellow neoGAFler nailed it with this: “I’ll be buying the PS4 for the same reason I bought the PS3.”

#12 1 year ago
  13. ps4some

To be honest I’ve been waiting so long and watched the original trailer so many times I feel like it came out years ago and I quite enjoyed it already

#13 1 year ago
  14. ps4some

@12 word! Same here.

#14 1 year ago
  15. RandomTiger

@13 lol

#15 1 year ago
  16. schrodinger_cat

Seems game was too ambitious for PS3 hardware

#16 1 year ago
  17. TD_Monstrous69

Hey, it’s the least most shocking but maybe true rumor of the year. Though if it doesn’t show up come Wednesday, or by E3, it goes back into the back of my mind, in the bin of “would like to hear about it”, and then continue on looking forward to other games, coming out sooner, from teams that know how to manage game production. Just 4 more days.

#17 1 year ago
  18. theevilaires

LOL @ 10 yea where is Agent? Rockstar get your shit together. I hope this news is false though. I think the Last Guardian will help PS3 get to that 10 year life goal comfortably as one of the best exclusives this gen for SONY.

#18 1 year ago
  19. OnionPowder

This wait has been so long that it’s crazy to think about actually seeing it again.

#19 1 year ago
  20. theevilaires

Dude come on we waited longer for Gran Turismo 5 and still waiting for Versus XIII. Just be glad we got Duke Nukem Forever and take that as a sign of hope we’ll see this soon ;)

#20 1 year ago
  21. freedoms_stain

Honestly, I’ll be fucking gutted if this is true.

Gutted.

#21 1 year ago
  22. OnionPowder

@20 The difference is that Shadow of the Colossus was truly a beautiful piece of art whereas GT5 is a racing sim and Duke Nukem is just another FPS. I’m just hoping that The Last Guardian can recapture that same feeling SOTC did for me on my first playthrough.

#22 1 year ago
  23. YoungZer0

Didn’t Nintendo do the same thing with Twilight Princess?

#23 1 year ago
  24. CyberMarco

^ Twilight Princess was released on GameCube too.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Mike W

Yea but twilight was made for the GameCube and then ported over to the Wii

#25 1 year ago
  26. mathare92

YEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! MY PRECIOUS!

I have no idea whether this game is any good. But I want it. I so want it. Goll.. Gollum..

#26 1 year ago
  27. naffgeek

I don’t really care what platform it is on as long as I get to play the damn thing.

At this rate the Sony show and tell will have all been told.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Eddie Rodrigues

Yes this is a betrayal, great job Sony.

#28 1 year ago
  29. _LarZen_

This is great news, this means a even better looking game then it would be on the PS3.

I understand children that write here that cant afford a PS4 and have to rely on their parents to buy one for them are upset.

Get a job and earn money and save up for a PS4 like adults do and you will be fine.

#29 1 year ago